Question Worth changing from 6800xt to 3080?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Roberto62

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
Hi,
I got a problem with my Power Color Re Devil 6800xt. I got fps drops and my Gpu isn't used at 100%. I tried a lot of different things but nothing worked. The usage goes from 60% to 85%. I have a R5 3600, an Asus tuf b450 and 16go 3466mhz. My friend who has the exact same card, and has a R5 5600x, an Msi b550 (don't know exactly) and 32go 3600mhz. We have different computers but we have the same problem.
So this can not be a Cpu bottleneck. And this can only be an issue from our gpu. We are thinking of changing to a RTX 3080 but I saw some people have the same problem with their 3080. So here is my question, is it worth changing from a 6800xt to a rtx 3080 for gaming in 1440p?

Last edited:

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
6800xt vs 3080 even being a proud owner of a 6900xt red devil ( love power color and the 6900xt was what i managed to get at a decent enough over priced price ) 3080 every day for its price point plus features ray tracing and dlss ... BUT with the constant issue with supply and the prices going up plus the will they wont they do a 3080 super 3080 ti its a difficult choice .

fast forward to next gen gpu's amd will be making nivida grab there ankles and cough...

Ash95

Great
Dec 25, 2020
i've done it, even a DDU but the plane benchmark keeps crashing
Fortunately for you, i have just had this issue myself and fixed it. You need to wipe all your gpu drivers, leave none of the old ones in place. Go into device manager and go to your gpu, uninstall the drivers from there. Then when you go to get your drivers, make sure you click custom install and choose to clean install.

MarsColonist

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
6800XT is a great card, and is competitive against the RTX 3080. It might even be a better value card than the 3080 since it costs less... if you prefer having more VRAM over the ray tracing capabilities of the 3080.

I would definitely not buy a 3080 if you already have a 6800XT.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You act as if the framrate is supposed to be constant. It isn't. There's always frame drops, depending on what's happening on screen. You'll get huge frame drops just standing in an open world field of tall grass, especially if viewing distance is max, grass detail is max etc.

I get frame drops from a game capped 200fps down to 20 at times, when the scene goes static.

Fps is from the cpu. That's hot to set every object, every dimension, every angle, all Ai, lighting affects, nametags, damage, shadows etc. Once that's done, that data gets sent to the gpu, which only has to paint the frame on screen. At no point can it exceed to amount of frames sent by the cpu.

So if you get frame drops, start looking at Why, don't bother automatically blaming the gpu or drivers etc, it all starts with the cpu.

If the cpu only sends 110fps, that's the max the gpu can put on screen. A scene later it might be 150fps. 99% of the time it's entirely due to the game code itself.

Fallout4 had a particular set of outdoor stairs. Halfway up, without any other changes to view, fps would drop to 20ish (on any cpu/gpu combo) for a few steps, then jump right back up into the 100+. Simply a game code anomoly. Affected everybody.

A gpu like the 6800x isn't going to randomly drop frames for no reason, start looking to the cpu and what affects are active, does it happen in the exact same frames with repeated runs, sudden massive explosions, huge particle density wall eruptions etc.

Reactions: Afro_ninja199