Question Would I achive anything by upgrading my GPU?

Kenton82

Reputable
My antique rig is running a very happy 1st gen i7 990X CPU (not OC'd). YES it is old... I have a GTX970 paired with it and it has been running with great success for a couple of years, but I am keen to see what your opinions are regarding the optimum card for this CPU. I have been trying to find out myself, but all i see are conflicting suggestions. Any ideas? This rig is going nowhere right now, so if sticking with the 970 is about the best i am gonna do then i'm ok with that. Its more out of curiosity than anything. I know the Asus rampage II extreme MOBO is old, and the PCIE speed will not amount to much, but i am still inquisitive!

Cheers all!

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Depends a lot on the games you play.

Modern CPU heavy games, it wont make much difference with your cpu, but some games will see a performance boost with a better gpu.

In my opinion, its time for you to upgrade the platform now if you intend on getting a better graphics card. Otherwise the GTX 970 you have is a good match for that cpu.

Kenton82

Reputable
Thanks Rob. Much as i had presumed. I mainly play BeamNG.Drive, ETS2, Dirt Rally & some Train sims. All of which do pretty well - BeamNG is a CPU and GPU basher, but the old rig seems to hold up pretty well on med-high settings, utillising the CPU to around 90+% and the GPU @ 100% So as you say the two components are pretty well matched. Maybe O/C'ing the CPU, GPU and RAM may make a difference.... But I am still ignorant as far as O/C'ing goes, so that may never happen.
Cheers again pal :giggle:;)

Reactions: RobCrezz

Kenton82

Reputable
Sorry to re-ignite this conversation, but, would i benifit from a 1070 8gb? Even with Beam.NG Drive i dont see 100% usage from my CPU, but GPU gets thrashed - CPU and memory wise. ETS2 (being badly optimized) has the GPU's CPU working at 100%, but memory at about 50%, while my i7 990x CPU is at 40+/- % while getting mediocre FPS (on highest settings)
I honestly do realise the architecture of my MOBO is way out of touch, but would i be wasting my dosh on a 1070?? I can obviously sell my 970 for a decent price as i do not game every day, and when i do, it is for a couple of hours - and yes all is kept as clean as possible, so cost of a good 1070 would be minimal.
Just wanna get the best out of what i have got right now, as it is still an incredibly fast nippy rig.

Anyone wanna suggest anything to push it further? I have not overclocked the i7 990x, as i am a total novice with this side of PC's.

Cheers all as usual! ;)
K

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Sorry to re-ignite this conversation, but, would i benifit from a 1070 8gb? Even with Beam.NG Drive i dont see 100% usage from my CPU, but GPU gets thrashed - CPU and memory wise. ETS2 (being badly optimized) has the GPU's CPU working at 100%, but memory at about 50%, while my i7 990x CPU is at 40+/- % while getting mediocre FPS (on highest settings)
I honestly do realise the architecture of my MOBO is way out of touch, but would i be wasting my dosh on a 1070?? I can obviously sell my 970 for a decent price as i do not game every day, and when i do, it is for a couple of hours - and yes all is kept as clean as possible, so cost of a good 1070 would be minimal.
Just wanna get the best out of what i have got right now, as it is still an incredibly fast nippy rig.

Anyone wanna suggest anything to push it further? I have not overclocked the i7 990x, as i am a total novice with this side of PC's.

Cheers all as usual! ;)
K

If your GPU is getting maxed out in that, then yeah it could benefit from a faster gpu in that program.