Question would plugging a router into an extension lead effect it's performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2021
so the instructions say to plug directly into the wall, but most posts online suggest they can't tell the difference. our wifi at home is genuinely terrible, but recently it's been really bad. i also recently noticed that my dad now has the wifi plugged into not one, but two 5 way extension leads (one plugged into the other with the wifi plugged into the second one, yes all connected to a single socket, pretty dangerous im sure). the first extension lead is full, the second half full. is there any way this could be effecting our wifi speeds? and if so, pls describe in detail the reasoning so i can bring this up to my dad & not just be met with "nah it's your xbox". (p.s im really sorry if this was the wrong forum)
EDIT: the extenders are dangerously overloaded, i should probably point out (ive pointed this out to my dad before), so where a router plugged into an extender SHOULD be fine, would two FULL daisy chained 5 way extension leads really not have an effect at all?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
so the instructions say to plug directly into the wall, but most posts online suggest they can't tell the difference. our wifi at home is genuinely terrible, but recently it's been really bad. i also recently noticed that my dad now has the wifi plugged into not one, but two 5 way extension leads (one plugged into the other with the wifi plugged into the second one, yes all connected to a single socket, pretty dangerous im sure). the first extension lead is full, the second half full. is there any way this could be effecting our wifi speeds? and if so, pls describe in detail the reasoning so i can bring this up to my dad & not just be met with "nah it's your xbox". (p.s im really sorry if this was the wrong forum)
A router won't have any performance difference from a power extension cord.

Jan 20, 2021
A router won't have any performance difference from a power extension cord.
that's what i thought, but today the wifi was 0.08mps for around 4 hours despite multiple resets & as soon as my dad stopped using his computer (which is plugged into the 1st extender, along with a printer, mixing desk, speakers and a TV monitor) it shot back up to 18mps. && he has the wifi off on his computer so i know he wasn't using the wifi & no one else was at the time either. plus it's not just one extender it's two plugged in consecutively, they're both at least 5 years old. is that really just a coincidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts