Would You Switch to Bing for $3 to a Good Cause?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
[citation][nom]arael[/nom]I wouldn't. If I want to donate to a good cause then I donate, not because some corporate giant is having troubles getting people to use their search engine, so they use the good old "think of the children!" cause to get people to do what they want them to.[/citation]
+1

I would change to Bing (which I am trying to do but it is VERY hard) and I would not sign up for that. I would NEVER sign up for that, if I wanted to donate I would myself. This scheme actually makes me less keen to go through the pain of changing to Bing.

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I really like Bing. My personal opinion is that for searches, Bing is better (better for me). But for some damned reason I always catch myself typing "google" when i want to find something. its like a bad habit. Just like smoking... you know its not good for you, but you keep doing it anyways. This is a good cause no matter what their reasons.

freiheitner

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Use Goodsearch and they give a small donation to the charity of your choice every time you search or use one of their affiliate links to purchase items at eg. Amazon.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Hell no I wouldn't do it! Micro$oft donating $$ what a punk job. Like someone mentioned it's just a PR don't put your obligation to "help the kids" contingent upon me. So childish! It's like saying I will if you will. STFU MicroS$oft either donate or get the hell out the way! Your not interested in helping anybody but your Billion dollar PROFIT racket. I agree with shin0bi272 and I never use Bung, bunghole or whatev that stupid Micro$uk $earch engine for anything.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
What a complete joke. This is just like when Microsoft was giving $400 Best Buy gift cards for signing up with their MSN dial-up Internet access a few years ago. Um... Good products sell themselves. If they have to bribe you to try their product, the product probably sucks. Really sucks. Just like dial-up MSN Internet access.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I think Google does a tremendous amount of "good work" for the world as it is. For example. Google Earth, and their archiving of old books. As long as Google Earth is up, and free, I won't be using any other search engine. They deserve all my business.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
They aren't desperate for customers, they are trying to get more people to use it. It's a promo, they aren't struggling to have people use it.

Do it for the donation and stop thinking they don't have enough customers. They do.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Schools in need? They overspend like crazy, and teachers have easy jobs, with good pay and a lot of time off.

Sorry, I know it's PC to say spend money on kids, and more money for education, but it's all nonsense. Kids are spoiled, and teachers have easy jobs, and schools love spending tax payer money.

If they spent it on stray cats or dogs, or roaming donkeys, I'd do it. People suck.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I pay a crapload in property taxes that mostly goes to our corrupt public school system and the the teacher unions. I refuse to be lured into their touchy feely donation campaigns. What is the overhead, some of these programs are so corrupt that 10cents on every dollar makes it to the cause. The rest is ate up by management salaries, many times in six figure categories.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I like Bing. Then again, I despise Google, so it's not that hard to appreciate Bing for what it is: a worthwhile competitor. Can you Google fanboiz really tell me why Google is superior?

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
no i wouldn't. how about microsoft just donates the money because it's the right thing to do and not use it as a guilt trip?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Does the search engine really matter? I've used Google, Bing and Yahoo and they're pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned. I like Google because of its minimalist design but really if I had to use Bing or Yahoo I wouldn't mind.

G

I'd do it for something like the defunct Altavista. But not for these big companies. greedy bastards!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.