Wouldn't it be good to wear rubber gloves when assembling a pc?

Leo Bottinger

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
I read about the dangers of the PSU, and I don't want to get electrified (or whatever the word is). So might I use rubber gloves when assembling a PC and wear a static discharger to, well discharge the excess static produced by wearing gloves.

Solution
Most PSU's have built in discharge circuitry to help prevent electrical shock from occuring. If te PSU as never been plugged in and turned on, its capacitors (the things that retain the electricity) will never have charged. If the unit has been turned off and unplugged for awhile (> 5 min), then the unit should be safe.

As mentioned previously, DO NOT wear rubber gloves. Just don't go sticking your fingers where they don't belong (lol). Seriously though, just make sure you have discharged any static build-up before handling things and wear your grounding strap if you have one, you will be fine.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

no need, just unplug from the wall and then tap a piece of bare metal to discharge built up static and you will be fine.

dont wear rubber gloves or you will cause more damage by dropping things like screws

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Just use an anti-static wrist strap. Rubber gloves will make it worse as they generate a rediculous amount of static electricity.

If you don't have an anti-static wrist strap, make contact with the metal of your case, or something similar, before you handle the electronics. It is very difficult to be electrocuted by an UNPLUGGED power supply.

animal

Distinguished
Most PSU's have built in discharge circuitry to help prevent electrical shock from occuring. If te PSU as never been plugged in and turned on, its capacitors (the things that retain the electricity) will never have charged. If the unit has been turned off and unplugged for awhile (> 5 min), then the unit should be safe.

As mentioned previously, DO NOT wear rubber gloves. Just don't go sticking your fingers where they don't belong (lol). Seriously though, just make sure you have discharged any static build-up before handling things and wear your grounding strap if you have one, you will be fine.

Solution

Leo Bottinger

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

wow, didn't think of that, I was just thinking what would be good to prevent 100s of MilliAmps from flowing through my body, ah rubber, no that would cost me hundreds of dollars