Question Wraith Prism Cooler RGB Problem

dinodinac2003

Honorable
Nov 27, 2017
I have a ryzen 7 3700x that came with the wraith prism cooler, and everything is working fine except the rgb on the cooler. To be exact, i can't control the rbg of the fan, and the outer circle. I've tried every fix and even swapping the other connector with the usb2.0 one. But when i install the wraith prism app from coolermaster, it just says plug in cm device. So im stuck with the default rainbow cycle. I really have no idea how to fix this. Funny thing is (i have an rog strix b550f gaming mb btw) i cant even control the fan rbg from armoury crate, where i could with the other rgb connector. I've tried every usb port on the mb and none of them seem to recognise the cooler in the app. If someone could help i would appreciate it very much. Have a nice day.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That cooler comes with TWO cables to make a connection to the mobo for RGB lighting control. That is just to make it easy for you to get it working. BUT you are NOT supposed to try to connect BOTH!

The preferred method is to use the cable with FOUR holes in its connectors on each end. The smaller one goes to the socket on one end of the cooler body, and the larger goes to one of your mobo's two FOUR-pin plain RGB headers. See your mobo manual p. 1-2. items coded 11 at top and bottom edges. Then you use the mobo utility Armoury Crate to control ALL the RGB lights in your system, including those in the Wraith CPU cooler. NOTE that you must plug this in correctly. The connector on the cable has a small triangle near the END to mark the hole for the 12 VDC line. The mobo header has its pins marked and ONE END pin is identified for 12 VDC. You must match these when plugging in!

IF you happen to have a mobo with NO 4-pin plain RGB header (NOT your situation), you do not use that cable. Instead you use the other THREE-pin cable from the 3-pin USB socket on the cooler body to a mobo USB2 header. The you must download and install the Wraith RGB control software, and use that instead of any mobo software to control the Wraith unit's lights.

You are NOT supposed to connect BOTH cables to the Wraith unit. In your case, OP, your better choice is NOT to use the USB cable. Use the 4-pin plain RGB cable to your mobo 4-pin plain RGB header, and use Armoury Crate to control. Do NOT install the Wraith Prism RGB Control software.

That cooler comes with TWO cables to make a connection to the mobo for RGB lighting control. That is just to make it easy for you to get it working. BUT you are NOT supposed to try to connect BOTH!

The preferred method is to use the cable with FOUR holes in its connectors on each end. The smaller one goes to the socket on one end of the cooler body, and the larger goes to one of your mobo's two FOUR-pin plain RGB headers. See your mobo manual p. 1-2. items coded 11 at top and bottom edges. Then you use the mobo utility Armoury Crate to control ALL the RGB lights in your system, including those in the Wraith CPU cooler. NOTE that you must plug this in correctly. The connector on the cable has a small triangle near the END to mark the hole for the 12 VDC line. The mobo header has its pins marked and ONE END pin is identified for 12 VDC. You must match these when plugging in!

IF you happen to have a mobo with NO 4-pin plain RGB header (NOT your situation), you do not use that cable. Instead you use the other THREE-pin cable from the 3-pin USB socket on the cooler body to a mobo USB2 header. The you must download and install the Wraith RGB control software, and use that instead of any mobo software to control the Wraith unit's lights.

You are NOT supposed to connect BOTH cables to the Wraith unit. In your case, OP, your better choice is NOT to use the USB cable. Use the 4-pin plain RGB cable to your mobo 4-pin plain RGB header, and use Armoury Crate to control. Do NOT install the Wraith Prism RGB Control software.
I agree about not trying to use both at the same time, but you have to use the USB header to control the ring and logo colors.
The RGB cable to direct motherboard connection only controls the fan color, and the ring will cycle colors on its own, with a white logo.
I ran into this yesterday actually, installed a second hand wraith prism in the GFs pc and it didnt have the USB cable, only the RGB header.

dinodinac2003

Honorable
Nov 27, 2017
I agree about not trying to use both at the same time, but you have to use the USB header to control the ring and logo colors.
The RGB cable to direct motherboard connection only controls the fan color, and the ring will cycle colors on its own, with a white logo.
I ran into this yesterday actually, installed a second hand wraith prism in the GFs pc and it didn't have the USB cable, only the RGB header.
I would like to apoligize if I confused anybody with my explanation, I AM NOT using both cables don't worry, and yeah, you have to use the usb header to control the ring. The problem is that it is in fact not working even though i swapped the rbg cable with the usb one. I'll try reading the mobo manual as the person above mentioned because I can't seem to figure it out by myself.

dinodinac2003

Honorable
Nov 27, 2017
I ran into this yesterday actually, installed a second hand wraith prism in the GFs pc and it didnt have the USB cable, only the RGB header.
Thank you for the detailed response. I just opened the manual and i saw the items labeled 11 (RBG_Header 1 and 2), but still, this is for the rbg connector which has four holes. And you cant controll the ring color with this header im pretty sure. Where as if you plug the USB cable into any usb2.0 header on the mobo, in theory you can control all of the rgb through the coolermaster software. I still have no idea why the software isnt recognizing the cooler even tho the usb cable is plugged in here.

NaClKnight

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
The ring color is not adressable on the Wraith cooler. You cannot change the color of the ring.
You certainly can change the Wraith Prism ring color. Connecting the USB cable instead of the RGB cable allows software like SignalRGB to change the fan, ring, and logo colors without issue,

You can also use the default Cooler Master SW that was designed for this AIO