Question Wraith Prism RGB + Device Descriptor Request Failed Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2020
Hi! I'm new here and just built my first PC. My problem is pretty small, but I am completely stumped. My Wraith Prism that came with my AMD Ryzen 7 3700x is having trouble with its RGB. I've made sure I plugged the USB cord into my mb's USB 2.0 header (Asrock b550 pro4) and ignored the other RGB cable so it would work with the Cooler Master software. Yet, I found out in device manager that the USB isn't detecting my device, with the error message "Device Descriptor Request Failed." I've double checked my wiring, cooler master software, and tried all the recommend fixes on google (drivers up to date, uninstalled and reinstalled, etc.) - no dice. Any suggestions?

Jul 4, 2020
Right, I've tried that already. I have the Cooler Master Wraith Prism software installed and the usb wiring plugged into a usb 2.0 header. The problem is the usb slot wont recognize my cooler as a device for some reason. Thank you for responding.

Oct 21, 2020
Right, I've tried that already. I have the Cooler Master Wraith Prism software installed and the usb wiring plugged into a usb 2.0 header. The problem is the usb slot wont recognize my cooler as a device for some reason. Thank you for responding.
I am having the exact same issue. Did you ever find a solution?

Sorry if I sound like Im stating the obvious but you've tried plugging it into one of the other usb header,yes? And that it's also plugged into the cpu fan header? (just trying to troubleshoot.) What happens when you enter the coolermaster wraith prism software page?

Oct 21, 2020
Yes tried both headers. I actually got it working. The cable was crimped over the insulation so there was no contact with the pin on the white cable. I spliced a USB A male cable into it. And plugged it into my case and it works. Supplier is going to send a new cable

Reactions: kurdtnz
Oct 26, 2020
Yes tried both headers. I actually got it working. The cable was crimped over the insulation so there was no contact with the pin on the white cable. I spliced a USB A male cable into it. And plugged it into my case and it works. Supplier is going to send a new cable
could you give me a run down on how u did that?

Oct 21, 2020
Reactions: asxph
Oct 21, 2020
so it's best if I try and get a replacement cable, because I've done some electrical work before. I'm not sure if I could pull it off

If you’re having the same issue from new then it’s likely the cable. Worth lodging a warranty claim with AMD. I’m glad I did what I did and didn’t have to replace the cooler for no reason

Oct 21, 2020
great news I got a replacement cable, bad news it didn't work either
Damn that sucks, do you have a multi meter? If you do measure continuity from each end to make sure the cables are terminated properly. My replacement cable should arrive soon so will see what the go is

Status
Not open for further replies.