steve_c10

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Howdy Chaps/Chapesses,

I'm considering purchasing a X-Box 360...either now or next month. Anyway, my enquiry would be if anyone knows of a place that guarentees the "Xbox 360 Elite Falcon 175w" version?

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
You'll have to look at the box and check near the serial number. A friend of mine just had his 2 month old Falcon red ring the other night. He just got it as part of a extended warranty replacement plan with Best Buy.

steve_c10

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
hmm...thought the Red ring was suppose to be reduced due to these smaller chips and extra cautious internal cooling? :E

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Do you think I can take Microsoft to court for selling me faulty hardware with a 100% chance of failure? I’m on my 3rd one now... But I can see me getting two or three more before I cant get them replaced anymore as the 3 year warrantee will have run out.

This was the reason I should have waited for Sony I guess, it’s a big pain in the ass getting it replaced. Funny enough I have been using consoles since my old Master System & Nes… all of them still work, in fact every console I have ever had is still working and in the attic… the 360 was the first console to go on me and it’s gone on me twice now lol.

But anyway that’s the end to my unwanted rambling.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I must have had it for about a year, maybe a bit less, but it was very sporadic use. The funny thing is, I had not used it for a month before it red ringed and when it did it was after 5 minuets of watching a DVD… How stupid is that, I don’t get how it could red ring when it was not even under any stress.

The second time it red ringed was after about 15 minuets of playing GTA4, that pissed me off something bad, was getting very in to the story and had to wait 3 weeks to play it again. That happened about another 10 months after I got the unit replaced.

It just sounds like really shady hardware, I feel bad even just leaving it running while I get some food or something, heaven forbid should I leave it running while I go out to the shops. I can remember leaving my PS2 on for days at a time if I could not find a save point before I needed to go out. That thing is about, what 6 or 7 years old and I still leave it running for days at a time (trying to complete Final Fantasy 12 ‘it’s not the best by the way, story kinda sucks.’).

Just get a PS3 or upgrade your PC or something, anything will last you longer than a 360 and it won’t give you as much stress ta boot.

Anyone want to swap a PS3 for a 360 premium, i'll give you a load of games too :)

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

I was going to just build me a new PC but I can't really afford it right now. I hope they make a PC version of The Force Unleashed. Maybe the revision at the end of this year on the 360 will make things better.

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I have the elite falcon and have had no trouble with it for about 7 months now. I think that physx has one of the older ones that's why it fails more. Also I think that if you send an old one into microsoft they send you an old one back if they can't repair yours. One more thing: Don't keep it on a carpet. It traps the heat. I have mine on a wood bay window with the AC vent right below it so it always has cool air blowing over it. In fact, whenever I put my hand on it it doesnt even feel warm. Just get a falcon, buy halo, send me a friend invite, and don't buy a PS3.

Well the main difference between what hardware your old consoles and the PS2 has is too much. The PS2 used a Intel Pentium 2 233MHz CPU and had some other GPU. The 360 has 3 CPUs running at 3.2GHz and a R500 chip for GPU.

I think they should be able to improve the cooling a bit and hopefully they do.

Good luck though. To say the least the PS3 seems like its not worth it yet (until a really good exclusive comes but the biggest one, FFXII, just got dual consoled). Its just too bad as the 360 has a very nice GPU capable of a lot of good stuff.

Its just too bad that some games are not coming to PC such as Soul Calibur 4. That makes me want to get a X360 just to play.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Funny enough, I actually got my self a PS3 last week. And it’s fooking sweet, played a few blu-ray films on it and have been hooked to Metal Gear Solid 4 since I got the thing. The funny thing is for me MGS4 is better than any other game I have for my 360 and I have a fair few so even with only one game I feel that the PS3 is already outdoing the 360. Also I got my hands on a 60GB version so I can play all my PS1 and 2 games on it with out any problems :D

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Actually, the 360 does not have a dedicated physics processor, and the RROD is caused by hairline cracks in the solder where the GPU is connected to the motherboard.

The PS2 actually uses a CPU called the "Emotion Engine" and it was developed by Sony and Toshiba. It doesn't even use the x86 instruction set, and was originally clocked at 294MHz, with later versions coming at 299MHz.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
My god, how did I miss that. :pt1cable: My apologies then; had you said what I thought, it wouldn't have been the first time I heard someone try and claim the Xbox360 or PS3 had a built in PhysX card. :lol:

MrIcky

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
For some strange reason my Xbox360 has been trouble free and my Wii overheated. Go figure?

I'm not a big Sony fan ever since they started putting malware on my PC root directory.

As far as the OP question goes. I just thought that these 'falcons' were the one's produced after August of last year. So they almost all are falcons now.

"Lot: 0734 or higher
manufactured after 8/24/07
team: FDOU"

This is supposed to be the cut off for when they started shipping the 65 process cpus instead of the 90. So as far as the warranty goes, I'd say wherever you bought it from.

http://forums.xbox.com/15804553/ShowPost.aspx

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
The new revision of the 360 will solve all the heat problems. They're going to shrink the graphics card to 65 nm. which will make it cheaper and basically eliminate all the heat problems.

TRENDING THREADS