jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
Any opinions on the sim? Also any tips or rendering settings? I know they're both subjective questions but I just wanted some insight: I'm considering Aerofly FS also.

Solution
wings of prey is 1 of my all time fave arcade flight sim games... it easily surpasses hawx 2 which isnt to bad but not great... iv'e not played rise of flight so i will give it a look... and m.s flight is very very average... although it does look nice at certain times of day... they do seem to have gone guns blazing for the magic hour where the light is a warmer orange with long shadows... like i say it does look nice but the mechanics seem a little lets say boring...
i dunno if there will be 3rd party content for msf but there usually pretty good with that kind of thing... m.s do tend to give the pc community sdk's for there games and aint half as bad as e.a for hammering you for dlc at inflated prices...

just for reference...
its a demending game that will take any config you can throw at it and tear it to pieces...
it runs on anything from a dual core up to a 8 core and will chew every thread it can and still want more cpu power... gfx wise the game was build with multigpu configs in mind. remember this is actually pilot training software that will be used if professional flight sim trainers. which in the most part have much more grunt than your home pc...

it will however manage 30 fps on almost any small config and manage medium on higher end configs like a 2500k and gtx 570...
the best config to run the game on is a dual xeon setup which has 12 cores and 24 threads (all of which will be used) and a tri sli gtx 590... this will allow you to max the game out in both gpu and cpu...

the game itself isnt that demanding its just all the extras that the game can use that create performance issues... so as long as your realistic and dont go over medium settings you should be fine...

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

I appreciate the reply. I totally agree with you regarding x-plane being cpu intensive and I appreciate that the developer took the time to code for multiple cores. I'm wondering if anybody has tips on how to utilze those cores as I never see my CPU% going over 15% while Vegas uses 70 - 80% and I've witness arma 2 using 40% with threaded opt on.

Neither X-plane 9 or 10 are taking advantage of any SLI, let alone a 3 way with 3 dual chip GPUs. I'm trying to run the game at 5760 X 1080 with 3 screens connected through gtx 680s in 2-way SLI but it will not allow me to. I contacted the developers about it and they too, recommended only one card but I didn't build my computer just to play x-plane 10. I think it's a beautiful sim but I can run sims like dcs: a10 and max it in 5760X1080 but the only thing that sucks is that I'm stuck with a warthog and a warthog only (not to mention the game is harder than some of the aeronautical courses I took in the Air Force). I'm going to try Aerofly FS at one point or another. Or I could just tough it out in 1920X1080 in X-plane 10. I really want to fly a p-51!!

well thats odd. i read on there site that the game would benefit from sli/crossfire...
in that case if you have a single 680 you should be able to max out the game while im stuck on high ish settings...
when i played it it would just crumple my card if i went higher. we are talking 10fps and lower...
so i guess they have the basics they just need to clean it up to take advantage of the extra gpu power.

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

Ya it's kind of disappointing. I originally wrote x-plane stating that I got low FPS and at the time I had a 580 classified. Now that I turned off AA and utilized the FXAA injector in my nVidia control panel all is well fps-wise. The only way to run the game in eyefinity or nvidia 2d surround is to have every output on one card which would mean hooking display #3 up through the hdmi output on card number one. I just do not want to do that every time I play a game.

Also, I downloaded Wings of Prey again and I enjoyed playing that for a bit. Rise of Flight is nasty. Microsoft Flight looks awesome but without 3rd party content and now ATC communication it's a big disappointment; shame too because it's probably the best looking aviation sim I've played when maxed out.

wings of prey is 1 of my all time fave arcade flight sim games... it easily surpasses hawx 2 which isnt to bad but not great... iv'e not played rise of flight so i will give it a look... and m.s flight is very very average... although it does look nice at certain times of day... they do seem to have gone guns blazing for the magic hour where the light is a warmer orange with long shadows... like i say it does look nice but the mechanics seem a little lets say boring...
i dunno if there will be 3rd party content for msf but there usually pretty good with that kind of thing... m.s do tend to give the pc community sdk's for there games and aint half as bad as e.a for hammering you for dlc at inflated prices...

just for reference...
currently my x-plane 10 archives run in to 50+gigs and theres still more to get... i cant get my home airport just yet but they say its coming...

Solution

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
Ya I read that flight isn't going to allow 3rd party so all of the big time aftermarket devs are programming for xplane 10 now. As soon as they allow for utilization of SLI and 5760X1080 I'll switch to Xplane 10 also. I'm seriously considering aerofly FS and Il-2 COD though I'm aware COD received bad reviews. On a sidenote, Rise of Flight may be the greatest sim I've ever tried. While it lacks clickable cockpits (it utilizes keystrokes instead) I truly get the feeling of flying when playing.

Check this video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lTT3BayFnk&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LL4Z3F3LayC7nZzl1-4s5weQ

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

I did read that this monday the devs are going to double framerates for folks and they are finally going to fix SLI. With two 680s I'm crossing my thumbs.

well i cant say its about time because this was a really big game breaking problem...
the odd gfx glitch can be dealt with but every second, nah thats just poor programming. and like i say that was after they patched it...
so personally i dont hold out much hope for this game any more...

marquis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
first off i havent' heard anything about dual GPU's being any good with this game

second , like the others have said the more CPU's the better , and you will need at least a 2GB GPU to get the most out of it .