bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
So I just upgraded from a X2 3800+ to a X2 5600+ on a machine that I have, I know its not much of an upgrade but it was cheap. Anyway, installed it fine, booted up right away, but the bios is still reading the old speed of the 2ghz on startup, but CPU-Z reads it as 2.9Ghz, the stock speed. I tried to go into the bios and manually put the clock speed up the 2.9 but then it wouldnt boot. That kind of sucks because I planned on overclocking this thing later to at least 3.1-3.2. Whats the problem here?

+1

Drop the HT to 4x, raise the clock to 220MHz and your CPU should be running at 3.2GHz and your RAMs at spec 800MHz (hopefully without much, if any, of a volt boost to the proc).

200MHz is the base AMD clock (x14.5 cpu multi will give you 2.9GHz). In your motherboard manual it will identify the simple steps within the BIOS necessary to increase the base clock above 200MHz and how to decrease the HT from 5x to 4x.

Download your motherboard manual from the vendor website if you do not have it. Please list your motherboard vendor and model and we will try to help you.

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Alright that clears things up. Boy does this thing overclock like a beauty. Right now i'm at 3.23 without messing with voltages or anything and its completely stable. Dont really feel like going any further than that because i'm using stock cooling right now but i'm sure it could definitely go further with some tweaking. But thanks for all the help, was worried there was a problem there for a second.