Question X299 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) Error E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkchavez

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
How can i fix the motherboard Error E3 when i put my computer to sleep and instantly wake it up it goes to code 73 but if i turn off my computer it goes back to error E3 being displayed on the motherboard... any ideas?!

drkchavez

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018

CPU: Intel - Core i9-7900X 3.3GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H110i 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X299 AORUS Gaming 7 Pro ATX LGA2066 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Mini Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Define C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA T2 850W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Memory sku's : CMK64GX4M4A2400C14

Memory Slots Installed
DDR4_1_1B
DDR4_2_1A
DDR4_2_1C
DDR4_1_1D

Download and run Memtest86. You will need to create bootable USB media, and then configure your bios either to boot from that device or select a boot override to that device. Run Memtest for four full passes of all eleven tests.

Be sure that the CPU configuration in Memtest is set to parallel otherwise testing will take a lot longer than it normally should take, which is already a long time. Many hours.

Do not use Memtest86+, as that is not the same Memtest as the Passmark Memtest and is an older, less adequate version of Memtest.

Download: https://www.memtest86.com/downloads/memtest86-usb.zip

Instructions on creating bootable media and running Memtest: https://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm

drkchavez

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018

Ran Memtest86 as stated for four full passes of all eleven tests the results were no errors occurred... I also updated my motherboard bios to the latest version and my graphics card to the latest version... Led debug code E3 still showing..... Any idea on what to try next?

Are you sure it's error code E3 and not 53?

Regardless, first I would do this, and see if that helps. It may be that hibernation is enabled and the system is not actually shutting down, but is going into low power hibernation state. Disabling hibernation and hybrid sleep is something that we recommend doing immediately on ALL Windows 8.1 and 10 builds.

https://techjourney.net/turn-off-and-disable-hybrid-sleep-in-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista/

Also, what is the model number and brand of your powers supply? Some power supplies are group regulated and are not compatible with the C6/C7 Intel low power states and can cause a variety of issues with sleep, startup and hibernation.

drkchavez

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018

E3 is the error code, and i did as follows it still came up with the same error code when i restarted the pc... my psu is
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 850W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode.

Model Number - "220-T2-0850-X1"

It will still boot into Windows though or no? What exactly is happening and not happening. Your first post is kind of vague in that regard other than the codes.

How long has that power supply been in service?

Can you post a screencap of the memory configuration screen in the bios and screenshots of CPU-Z memory and SPD tabs. On memory tab you will need to take one screenshot of each module as selected in the dropdown box to display it's information.

drkchavez

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018

Correct it still boots up perfectly fine, i just noticed the other day about the led code displaying on the motherboard E3 so my ocd kicked in and i want to see if i can get rid of the code from appearing. So when the computer gets booted up it boots up like normal than it will display on the motherboard error E3 so i tried to figure out the problem and i found out if i put the computer to sleep and wake it back up the error code disappears. So my problem is wanting to get rid of the code permanently instead of putting the pc to sleep every time i want to code to disappear. I bought the power supply brand new this year.
2yxgq6s.jpg

2jb1wdc.jpg

wi0vom.jpg

kecej4.jpg

25q98pt.jpg

1zyc613.jpg

2331vc.jpg

33o44z7.jpg

bgd1fb.jpg

You do realize you don't need to take "pictures" using the camera right? In windows, simply press the windows key at the bottom along with the PrtScn button at the top right. In your bios, as long as you have a USB thumb drive attached somewhere, you can generally press F12 for about two seconds and it will take a screenshot of the bios window and save it to the thumb drive.

In the bios, try increasing your DRAM voltage to 1.36v in the memory section where you see 1.38v on this screenshot from my old Gigabyte Z170 motherboard. Then save settings and exit BIOS. After going into windows, shut down, restart and see if you still get the error code. If so, try the same thing at 1.38v.

a331u8.jpg

drkchavez

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018

Followed the first step and disabled it in the cmd as administrator shut down and turned on my pc and same error.. Went into my bios and i could only find s3 save mode couldnt find anymore s or c power options through bios unless i was looking in the wrong places so i enabled s3 save mode and still the same error.

drkchavez

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018

Yes i have the latest bios f9g, i havent taken out the cmos battery but i have pressed the cmos button on my motherboard after updating my bios. Should i try removing the battery? and if so how long should i keep the battery removed for?

>>UPDATE<<
Took out the cmos battery let it sit for about 15-20 mins inserted the battery back in, booted up my computer and still error E3 occurred.
Good news by taking out my cmos battery and putting it back in, it decreased my cpu temps by almost 15c which is quite crazy not sure why that helped...

I'll get with you tomorrow. I think we can figure this out now that I know it's related to the S or C states. I believe there is a setting in the bios you need to change and I'll look at some screenshots of my old configuration and your user manual to see if I can identify it.

On the power tab in your bios, go into the Platform power management settings and tell me if that is set to enabled or disabled?

Further down in the power settings is "S3 save mode". Is this enabled or disabled? Might try that both ways just to see.

On the bios tab, is the boot type set to fast boot or normal? Try it both ways. With fast boot enabled, it might be necessary to rapid fire spam the delete or F2 key, whatever you hit to get into the bios, from the moment you can tell it is beginning to restart the POST process until you actually see it enter the bios, or else it could go right past the point where you can enter setup very quickly. And it might not. Really it depends on what kind of drive and configuration you have, but worth trying anyhow.

On the advanced power settings tab, make sure S3 save HERE is also set to disabled. Can try this both ways too if you like. Since this is a pretty uncommon error, first time I've ever seen it, anything might be worth trying.

Set Memory boot mode to Normal, on the Advanced memory settings sub-section of M.I.T tab.

Under advanced CPU core settings section of M.I.T tab, make sure that C3 state support, C6/C7 state support, C8 state support and Package C state limit are all set to auto. You can also try these set to enabled.

Make sure "Voltage optimization" is set to disabled. Make sure CPU EIST function is set to enabled or auto.

I personally set Intel Speed Shift (Don't confuse with Intel speed step, EIST) to disabled as it doesn't seem to work right on any system I've worked with so far. Others say it works on their systems but I am dubious because I have not seen it work correctly on five or more systems. Your system might be too old to even have that setting, I don't know for sure. It's about the same age as my Z170 configuration so maybe.

drkchavez

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018

Before i start by reply i want to say a lot of information was handed to me at once so i did it as it was presented...

Platform power management setting was "disabled"
i enabled it. shut down my computer and booted it up same error occurred when windows popped up.

s3 save mode was "disabled"
tried both "platform power management" and "s3 save mode" enabled shut down my computer and booted it up same error occurred when windows popped up.

Fast boot was "disabled"
I "enabled" and also tried "fast boot" shut down my computer and booted it up same error occurred when windows popped up.

advanced power setting tab
s3 was disabled and i tried both ways shut down my computer and booted it up same error occurred when windows popped up.

memory boot mode
set memory boot mode to normal shut down my computer and booted it up same error occurred when windows popped up.

advanced cpu core settings
set both c3, c6/c7 state support, no c8 was found and also set package c state limit to auto also tried with enabled. Did each individually and all together shut down my computer and booted it up same error occurred when windows popped up.

"voltage optimization"
set to disable cpu eist function set to enabled and auto, tried each setting individually and combined enabled and also auto shut down my computer and booted it up same error occurred when windows popped up.

Set intel speed shift to disable. shut down my computer and booted it up same error occurred when windows popped up.

Note: I wasn't sure if you wanted me to try all these settings together or singularly or together how you worded to sentences with multiple trouble shooting options in one sentence. I tried each trouble shooting option by itself and also combined with how you worded it as i went down the list i set the configuration back to normal that i modified and worked my way down the options as it presented itself. I also left Intel Speed Shift "disabled" as you said it doesnt work on most systems that you have seen so whats the point of having it enabled on mine..

Any other ideas?

I should have noted, and I appologize, that after trying each setting, if it doesn't effect a cure, you should likely return the setting to what it was at by default unless it's a setting that you know you want to keep changed. Hopefully, I think you did that. If so, that's good.

I am just about out of idea. I may have to call in reinforcements. LOL.

EXCEPT, that ALL of the C state options should be left to either enabled or auto under the CPU options.

Did you install the latest chipset and other drivers from your motherboard product page?

Can you go into device manager and see if there are any devices "remarked" with a question mark or exclamation point next to them. They will be obvious and will already be expanded to that device, if there are any.

Short of any other ideas, I think this is probably a motherboard problem and you might want to contact Gigabyte, although IDK if your board is still under warranty or not?

drkchavez

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018

Correct i did, Also all the c state options are set to auto. All Drivers for the MB are up to date, also the bios. I went into Device Manager and Non were marked with a question mark or exclamation point. I contacted Gigabyte and are going back and fourth with them to get 1 last final answer here is the chat log if you care or not. Hopefully can help someone in the future if they ever came across this problem and has ocd in wanting to try to fix it ahah!

==========================================================================================
Question: Error Code E3 on Motherboard, when i sleep the computer and instantly wake it up it goes away and goes to code 73 is there any way of fixing this error code its not a big deal but quite annoying if it can be fixed with putting the computer to sleep and waking it up... but when i shut down the computer and turn it on it goes to error code e3 it doesnt seem to effect anything i would just like to know how to get rid of it... 10/15/2018 10:54 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Answer:
Dear customer,

E3 is not an error code, it's normal S3 resume, when system wake / resume from sleep. You may refer to MB manual page 143, debug code chart for detail. If system currently runs fine, there has nothing need to be worry."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: so my question is this... so even shutting down your computer and turning it off is considered "system wake/resume from sleep"?? 10/16/2018 7:15 PM
Answer:
Dear customer,

If hard press power off then turn it back on or press reset system restart, it will consider as power resume.

Best regards,

GIGABYTE technical support team.
Question: So what your telling me is that every motherboard that is a X299 AORUS Gaming 7 (1.0) that has no errors will always display the E3 code unless they have an error? Correct? Because E3 is always displayed like i said the only way this code will go away is if i put my computer to sleep and wake it up from the sleep state.. If my computer is shut down and i turn my computer back on it will display E3 as soon as my computer reaches the windows loading screen. this code doesn't disappear. Only once i am booted into windows and set my computer to sleep and wake it back up. Like i stated. but as soon as i power off my computer and turn it back on it will display E3. I am just curious if all your X299 AORUS Gaming 7 (1.0) motherboards display this if there are no errors worth displaying on the led debugger.

10/17/2018 5:20 PM
Dear customer,

I'm saying E3 isn't an error code, If you have system wake from stand by / Sleep or press reset button on system code E3 will shows. If you shut system down from Windows correctly, every time in normal cold boot the E3 code shows, I suggest you test with other power supply for result.

Best regards,

GIGABYTE technical support team.

10/18/2018 2:26 PM
==========================================================================================

It's possible, but I found no evidence of it and my similar era Z170x-Gaming 5 DOES have that same error code available, but does not display it, ever.

It does however always display AO, for ALL OK, every time I boot. If I sleep the unit, and then resume, it always shows 03. I suppose it's remotely POSSIBLE that they are correct, but I've never seen any thread showing that this is a normal code, on your system, E3. I seriously doubt there would not be threads about it if it were a normal thing. Other people would be wondering same as you.

But it's possible.

As per your PM, on that board, it should not ever change from Quad channel to triple channel, unless something is wrong, to the best of my knowledge.

Did you change back the memory voltage to the stock value? If not, go ahead and do that since increasing the voltage did not help the problem before.

In fact, if you like, it might not be a bad idea at this time to completely reset the bios by removing the CMOS battery again. It means you will need to go back in an reconfigure any preferences you had set before that you want configured a certain way.

Many changes as we've made, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do that, then set the memory to the XMP profile as you had it originally. See if it goes back to quad channel.

Seems suspicious though.

Status
Not open for further replies.