X3 720 AMD Overdrive

StratDoc

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
I am currently working on overclocking a X3 720 and am a total novice at this. I am using AMD Overdrive - which appears to be working quite well. My question is that I have no base line as a novice to understand whether or not things look good. I have read other forum posts and things are all over the board since not all X3 720 CPUs are the same. Here is what I have so far:

17.5 x
3.5Ghz
CPU VID 1.3875
CPU VDDC 1.368 (this number automatically increases slightly everytime I raise CPU VID, the color of the voltage read out has changed to orange)
Temp underload with Prime95 stresstest 35 centigrade
Prime95 stresstest running stable for over 4 hours

Thanks for your feedback. Also, do you think there is room for me to go higher?

Thanks,

StratDoc

System Specs
MSI 790FX-GD70
X3 720
4 gig ddr 3
Gigabyte HD4870 1 gig
700 watt OCZ

StratDoc

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
It isn't water cooled, but I do have a nice scythe cooler on it. The temperatures are being generated by AMD Overdrive. Is there a chance those numbers good be wrong?

StratDoc

StratDoc

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
The temp for each core under full load is around 38 centigrade, this is now at 3.7ghz. This is verified through a number of different temperature monitors, i.e. smart fan, everest ultimate, and overdrive. The ambient temperature is probably around 67 F. I decided to adjust speed and voltage in bios instead of overdrive. What's interesting is that when I change the CPU voltage in bios, it doesn't register in overdrive of CPUz. The only change I see is a voltage change to CPU VDDC in overdrive.

I am stress testing now to find the correct voltage at 3.7ghz. I tried going to 3.8 but can't get windows to boot even at 1.55 volts.