Sep 3, 2019
asrock x370 taichi
1600x
g.skill fortis 2400

My computer won't post after flashing to BIOS 5.60

I followed every instuction on their web site. First was the newest AMD all-in-one driver, Second was flashing to 5.10 (worked good), and finally I flashed to 5.60 and the computer won't post. it gives me a code 55 (memory).

i tested two completely different sets of memory in a variety of configurations but the code 55 persists.

it says on the asrock web site (a detail I admittedly glossed over) that once you've flashed to 5.60 you cannot flash to a previous BIOS. if i can't flash to a previous BIOS and I can't get the system to POST, what should I do next?

Sep 3, 2019
as far as resetting CMOS goes, i'm a bit new to that procedure, can you describe the most foolproof method to do that. i know there is a switch but something about the switch leaves me scratching my head if i did it correctly. wil simply removing the CMOS battery suffice?

I removed the CMOS battery with all power off for about a minute. i installed a single DIMM in slot A2 (verified by MOBO diagram) i reinstalled the CMOS battery and powered up the machine. right now it shows code 55 hangup, but as you suggested i'm in the process of letting it run.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019
ok it's been running for like 10 minutes now, still stuck on error code 55. now what?

i went back and did a thorough clearing of cmos including holding the power button down and the problem persists.

Last edited:
to clear cmos, u just short it while PC is powered off (PSU in off switch/unplugged cable from wall)
removing baterry is unnecesary, that wont reset your bios settings
some clr cmos jumper, should be mentioned in mainboard manuals
that should trigger recovery capsule

btw code 55 is memory is not installed, doesnt looks like mem training error
can u try other slots?

Sep 3, 2019
So just to recap:

I have a X370 Taichi and Ryzen 1600x. I went to the Asrock site to get the newest BIOS. I noticed that 5.80 said that it wasn't suitable for Summit Ridge (1600X). Therefore, I went to 5.60 and there were no warnings like that so I assumed 5.60 would be fine. There were detailed instructions. First, was installing the latest AMD All in one driver. DONE. Second was flashing to 5.10. DONE. No problems noticeable with 5.10

Then finally I flashed to 5.60 BIOS said that it was a successful flash. But when it restarted, it got hung up on debug code 55. At this point I hadn't even touched the memory. So this is strictly a firmware issue in my mind.

I've attempted to orient the memory in every way imaginable with no luck. I've tried to clear the CMOS and I can't even tell if it is doing anything. I know that I left the BIOS battery out for quite a while with PSU off. When I put the BIOS battery back in, same thing. Code 55

Now here is the thing I wish I noticed before I started. It says that you cannot flash to a previous BIOS once 5.60 has been loaded. Could this be the reason why I can't clear CMOS?

I don't really want to do an RMA. Is there a third party solution I can use to get the ball rolling here? Perhaps a USB thumb drive with certain software?