Question x570 - 5900x won't boot into windows.

Sep 4, 2021
Hello everyone,

I've encounter a very weird problem on my recently built computer today.
It has been running pretty much every day without any issues at all, for the past 3 months.

Then today during a game of Apex Legends, I encountered my 1st out of 2 ever seen BSOD on this PC.
The first one states;
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I immediately restart the PC afterwards and 5 seconds after entering Windows I get hit with the 2nd one.
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTON
FLTMGR.sys

After this, I get the option to recover from a previous system state which is from a month ago - which I did.

After this 2nd BSOD and recover to another system point, I am stuck in an infinite boot loop. Here is what I've tried so far;
Clearing CMOS
Trying every single ram slot with individual ram sticks.
Updating BIOS. (Updated to F34)
Resetting BIOS settings to optimized default.
Unplugging every USB device connected.
Booting without GPU.
Booting from a bootable device (Tested on another PC as well to ensure it works)
Booting from a bootable device without my current SSD installed.
Tried another PSU and tried my PSU in another PC. (Switched with an older Corsair HX650)

The same thing happens every time. As soon as the computer is loading Windows, it simply shuts down and restarts.
Even the Repair menu on the bootable device in unaccessible. I see the Windows icon for 0.5 seconds and the loop starts over.

I am honestly lost at the moment and have no idea what the cause of the problem is.
Is there a good chance my motherboard is dead?

AMD 5900x CPU
Aorus x570 Master MBO
EVO 970 PRO SSD
Asus 2070 EVO GFX
Corsair RM750x (2021 model)
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 C16 (Installed in slot A2 and B2)
All parts bought in May 2021, except graphics card which was April 2020.

Best regards,
Magnus.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You will need to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Please add the make and model of your ram as well. If you're running a dual channel ram kit, do mention the slots you're populating on the motherboard. For the sake of relevance it's good practice to mention the BIOS version as opposed to saying that you're on the latest. FYI, you don't have an iGPU on that processor so booting without the GPU doesn't do much, apart from drawing less power as opposed to having to power a discrete GPU populated system.

Can you include the make and model of the other PSU used for troubleshooting? If you don't have any critical data on your OS installation drive, you could try and reinstall your OS and see if that makes any difference to the lockups. You should recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Sep 4, 2021
You will need to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Please add the make and model of your ram as well. If you're running a dual channel ram kit, do mention the slots you're populating on the motherboard. For the sake of relevance it's good practice to mention the BIOS version as opposed to saying that you're on the latest. FYI, you don't have an iGPU on that processor so booting without the GPU doesn't do much, apart from drawing less power as opposed to having to power a discrete GPU populated system.

Can you include the make and model of the other PSU used for troubleshooting? If you don't have any critical data on your OS installation drive, you could try and reinstall your OS and see if that makes any difference to the lockups. You should recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Thanks for the quick answer.
I have updated the list with the current model of my PSU and RAM, which BIOS version I updated to and which PSU i switched with.

FYI, you don't have an iGPU on that processor so booting without the GPU doesn't do much, apart from drawing less power as opposed to having to power a discrete GPU populated system.
I am aware of this. I just tried it to see if not having the GPU installed would get me out of the boot loop. Which unfortunately did not happen.

If you don't have any critical data on your OS installation drive, you could try and reinstall your OS and see if that makes any difference to the lockups. You should recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.
The Bootable USB installer has been created with Windows Media Creation Tools and tested on multiple PC's, so ensure that it loads up correctly.
Unfortunately, as soon as the defective computer is supposed to load the drive or somehow read Windows files, it immediately shuts off and restarts. I can not even enter the Bootable device, not in safe mode or in any other way. It is therefor impossible for me to even install a fresh copy of Windows.
I am limited to accessing BIOS settings.

/Magnus