[SOLVED] X570-A pro vs sound card

J-mie

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
I have an X570-A PRO motherboard. I listen to music a lot on my computer mostly on youtube and sometimes, it just isn't loud enough. I use a set of Bose headphones plugged into Bose computer speakers and I wondering if it would be worth it to get a sound card to amplify volume and maybe produce better sound. if so, what card would you recommend?

Solution
I had the same thought about plugging my headphones into the case just after making this post and to my great surprise, the sound deadened by about 30 percent. I was shocked. My speakers must be acting as an amplifier for the headphones. I guess I was wondering the onboard sound could compete with sounds cards

Make sure you have all the sound level settings correct in Windows.

As far as onboard sound vs sound cards as I said the onboard sound these days is pretty good on even budget boards. Sound cards while still somewhat popular are losing to desk top DACs and AMPs which provide cleaner sound since they are away from all the noisy electrical components inside computers unlike sound cards.
Try plugging the headphones into the computer directly. Sounds like its the Bose speakers causing the issue.

As far as sound cards, honestly any decent mobo will have nearly the same quality of sound as a sound card. If you are going for the best sound possible then a DAC/Amplifier is the best option since it takes all the sound processing out of the electrically noisy computer case and moves it onto your desk.

J-mie

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
I had the same thought about plugging my headphones into the case just after making this post and to my great surprise, the sound deadened by about 30 percent. I was shocked. My speakers must be acting as an amplifier for the headphones. I guess I was wondering the onboard sound could compete with sounds cards

Make sure you have all the sound level settings correct in Windows.

As far as onboard sound vs sound cards as I said the onboard sound these days is pretty good on even budget boards. Sound cards while still somewhat popular are losing to desk top DACs and AMPs which provide cleaner sound since they are away from all the noisy electrical components inside computers unlike sound cards.

Solution