XBOX 360 controller on PC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warewulf

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
I've been using the Windows branded one for a few weeks now. Most recent games pick it up automatically and have the keys already assigned. Definitely nice since I like to play from the couch most of the time.

MrRoberrto

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
plug in wireless controller with charge kit, wait 5, bingo...

install1t.jpg

rl70

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Can we get any confirmation from someone who gets the wireless controller running on PC via the play and charge kit? I bought one from Gamestop the other day and I can't seem to get it running. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and got the beta drivers for that. To me it seems that the controller still tries to send data just wireless and the usb plug is only for recharging. But someone here disagreed to that. So anyone able to confirm?

naffers

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Can someone who has the wireless controller using the Plug and Charge kit to connect it clarify what is needed to get it working please. so many conflicting opinions that its too confusing what to do

warewulf

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
The best option is to buy the Xbox wireless controller for Windows. I got it for $38 on amazon and it comes with the receiver and a controller. It will work every time you turn it on. Plus you can still use it for your Xbox.

awebwizzard

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Would you please tell me how to make my xbox (and games) play with 2 players? Both controllers work, but I can't seem to figure how to make my games (I bought over 200 games including world series poker) play more than one player. Is it ONLY when I enalbe xbox live for interenet these boxes will play more than one person? HELP. I am 49 years old and new at gaming!

-Melanie
aWebWizzard@Gmail.com

topher86

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Just to confirm, a wireless controller with a plug and play charger kit, is just that. The wire only charges and powers the controller. There is NO data transfer over the wire, it is all wireless. If you want to use a wireless controller on your computer you need the wireless dongle, which is actually pretty cheap now when bundled with a controller on amazon. You can then sync any wireless 360 controller to your PC.

I saw someone post a page back that this is wrong. But you are wrong. This is how it is.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

No it is not just a charger! I use one to make my wireless controller wired to my PC. It is the manufacture dates of the individual controllers that make them compatible with the PC. If you cant get your controller FOR XBOX to work on the PC it was not designed for it. You either need the one that says FOR WINDOWS or one from a specific time frame. Now Microcrap has put a halt on people using an XBOX 360 controller on the PC. To get more money out of the consumer they have taken the same controller and updated the firmware so that it will work on either platform and disabled the 360 controller from connecting with windows. There is a firmware hack but I have never used it although my brother has.

bubiweb

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Hi at all!
I have problem with my xbox wired controlled and win7 32bit, I had installed the right driver from microsoft but still don't work, someone can help me?

Johnnay

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

So let me get this right, You need to get the wireless one FOR PC am I right? or The newer controllers for Xbox 360 that came out recently will work on PC if you plug it in with the wire?

And can you please confirm with your brother on how he has done the firmware hack.

- Y/N Xbox 360 controller (for Xbox only) can work on PC w/o the wireless gaming reciever by installing the drivers?
- Y/N New Xbox 360 controller (for Xbox only) can work on PC w/o the wireless gaming receiver?
- Y/N Will it work on a Mac?
- Y/N Will it work on Linux?

It will be great if you could answer all these, thanks.

nandrews

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Can I turn the question in this thread around?
I would like to know if I can use a PC USB steering wheel in an Xbox 360?
I am told that the wired controllers for Xbox 360 are USB, so I am hopeful.

As I have an Xbox wheel and a PC wheel, I don't think I should have to buy yet a third one just for the 360! The mechanics of each wheel must be about the same, it's just the interface.

Thanks
Nigel

PurpleHaze65

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

I take it that this reaction is a bit late to warn standardnerd, not to buy the wireless receiver if his pc doesnt recognize the controler, i got the wireless controler WITH receiver AND driver cd today (for my birthgay G@dd@mnit) and i cant get win xp sp3 to recognize the damn thing, i am so p!ssed off right now!! :fou: :pfff:

PurpleHaze65

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

gimme the hack man, i mean, i got the wireless dual pltform white controler which is said to work with win xp sp1 and up ON THE BOX, it is my gaddamn birthday present and i cant f@ckin use it, yeah i am p!ssed, i read all the posts in this threadbut it seems no1 knows HOW to get the d@mn thing workin, just a lot of "oppinions" but no "facts" or url's to get the working drivers, NOT the m$ crappy drivers that just seem to do whatever the h#ll they want. :fou: :pfff:

PurpleHaze65

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

above is the post that started this thread ppl, look at the date (march 09 2006 for the really lazy ppl that dont wanna check it out one page back), this topic has been going on for 3.5 years now and still M$ didn't solve the problem in a descent way, that on itself is your answer if you should buy the xbox360 controler (wireless or not) for ur pc or not, I ordered another controler WITH analogue triggers (15 euros, $25), I expect to get it in 3 days, i let all of you know if that one (NOT an xbox360 controler but the same functionality) works like the xbox360 controler should work, or not.

PurpleHaze65

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

Iwonder which M$ mouse this guy means cuz 250 mA is not of this time, not even 3 years back, if a mouse needs that much u would have to recharge a wireless mouse every 3 or 4 hours, and i gotta charge mine -after intense gaming- every 3 or 4 weeks.

So, a nice answer but not very "factual" he might still have a point tho.

PurpleHaze65

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
PPl I HAVE THE SOLUTION FOR THE WIRELESS XBOX#^) problem:

1 go to start, left corner at the bottom of ur screen, click it
2 goto systemmanagement
3 then to computermanagement
4 then devicemanagement
5 there should be an option with the name "XBOX 360 preripherals
6 click on the little + at the start of previous mentioned at 5
7 doubleclick the option "Xbox 360 receiver for Windows
8 a window opens with the properties of the device, the last one being the option to "use this device (switch on)" (or something simular, i gotta translate from Dutch XP so be a bit flexible in ur interpretations of the names i use)
OR the other option (oh btw u gotta click this box 1st b4 u see BOTH options)
this option is "do NOT use this device (or switch off)
9 confirm the shutting down of the device and then switch it on again with the same bar as descr in 8, and in my case they found eachotter rightaway, gonna test now if it works in calibration window, brb, it works like a charm, now gonna test it in gta iv, i lrt u know if that works too in a min, works perfectly

final, so first install drivers then restart pc then do the above described things and im pretty sure it WILL work, ofcourse u still might need the "windows/xbox360 dual platform controler.

have fun ppl.

PurpleHaze65

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
A bit late but better than not at all, the other pad a "logic3 JP276 usb game pad" works fine too, and it has some nice xtra features like the option to create macros, i have even used this pad to play WoW by using the software that comes with it to emulate a keyboard, only 1 thing, it has no analogue triggers :( but appart from that a very nice pad (not if you have "small" hands because of the handgrips.

G

I have a question:
Does the XBox 360 controller for windows also work on windows 7?
Hope somebody knows that

fishee2

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Hi Guys - just read through this entire thread, might be more confused then before I got here. I am trying to use a 360 wireless controller (manu. date from launch, old controller) via the plug and play charge cord, to my XP SP3 machine. I plugged the USB in, it recognized new hardware, searched the web, recognized it was a 360 controller, said it was installed. I think great. I restart. Now the computer recognizes that I have the controller plugged in (IE I can see it in the device manager), however it does not work. I DLed software from M$ at this point, no change in controller functionality. If I go into the control pannel and attempt to add a game controller through windows, it tells me there is an error with the drivers and wont allow me to add a controller.
So my quesitons:
1. Will my old wireless controller transmit data through the plug and play cord, or will it charge the controller only?
2. Are there drivers I have not installed? will this link fix it? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0E989B12-576B-42F2-B7C1-2A17CE25188B&displaylang=en Or when I originally added the controller as hardware did it already download the correct drivers?
3. Do I have to buy a windows/PC specific 360 controller to get this to work?

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.