Xbox One Game Discs Only to be Used for Initial Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

well at least they showed an actual console even though it looks like a dated VCR. Isn't tech supposed to progress and these things get thinner lighter smaller?

G

That is just stupid. What if a child and a dad have their own Xbox and they want to play the same game? Buying the same game twice per household is stupid.
I would protest in everyway, I sell my used games on ebay to fair prices unlike gamestop to buy new games / etc. This is just another moneymaking scheme that I wish the government would crack down on, if it wasn't such of a don't like it, don't buy it thing.

xero141

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I remember when I bought game A, my buddy bought game B. We swapped games when we wanted or went to each other's houses. Back then, we popped the game in and were having fun in 3 minutes flat. Today we buy a game, wait 12 years to install it, wait another 6 to update, load the game, and wait another few years for a level to load, in the end, we beat the game in 6 hours and lose interest. I miss when gaming was fun and fun actually was fun.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i'm here to answer all your questions friends.
1)the game will play immediately when you put it in. it will install while you play
2)you can have multiple x1's in the house, and they will all work with your games fine as long as you account is there
3)used games will still work, although microsoft hasn't clarified the method. my prediction is that each game will come with a code that you must manually enter so as to avoid people from installing their games and then reselling it back to the market.
4)save games will be on the cloud, you can load your profile on any x1 and play your games from where you left off
5)microsoft said they accounted for multiple accounts having the same game. so you should be ok there too

they should make this an option, not a requirement. some people don't mind popping in a disc and want to save HDD space or what not. of course, this does solve the "I scratched my $60 game disc!!!" issue

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007

If saves are on the cloud, does this mean that if you dont have connection to the internet, you lose your progress until you get it back?

And where are you pulling this from, beside that spot in the back of you pants where you wallet sits?

yhikum

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Let's see how fast this console would be hacked to allow bootleg games to be installed.

Would corporate organization of people realize usability problem? Hardly. Even admitted, such idea would simply not fit into goals of how organization defines financial growth.

Would people eventually circumvent hardware? Yes.

xelliz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Microsoft has already been quoted in other articles that the "fee" will be the retail cost of the game. So yes, used games are gone (like I care...but others do) and borrowing games is gone (which I very much care about).

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010

Nothing like pc games, it's official I'm done with consoles, ill buy Apple TV and play my games on pc.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

It was in the article you are posting about you jabroni.

"Well, an installation fee will be charged should a game be installed on another account..."

Go try to play two separate campaigns on Halo 4 without signing out of your account.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007

From what I read somewhere, you install a game and then it's tied to your account, similar to Steam, but you can also add permissions for other accounts to play the game.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

I loved the Halo series, but Halo 4 was horrible. Go compare the music from Halo 1-3 to Halo 4. It's pitiful. Halo 4 multiplayer maps suck. The ranking system is a joke.

Do you remember the feeling you got the first time you encountered the flood in that base in Halo 1? I was playing in the dark, and it was actually kind of scary. Halo 4 just has zero emotion to the campaign. When I finished the campaign, I felt like I just got out of a long movie that I didn't understand. I completed it only a couple months ago, and there really isn't any part of it I can remember, besides Cortana dieing. Not that I actually cared about her dieing.

And WTF is up with the Prometheans? It sounds like a name they focus grouped with a bunch of ten year old boys. What happened to bad ass names like the Covenant and the Flood?

And where the hell is the Rumble Pit playlist?

343 Industries is a joke.

Halo died when Bungie sold the franchise.

I see no need to buy an Xbox, and this is coming from someone who defended the Xbox 360 for years.

leafman420

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
So I can rent games or trade games. Why would I pay money for a crappie game? I'm sure we all love to have to pay money every time you got E.T. the game from your friend. ahhh i hated that game. well looks like microsoft is becoming the new Apple. Charge at every turn. I'm sticking with nintendo, and my computer from now on. Fuck Xbox and the its new Appletuid. :)

Absolutely true.

This is why these consoles almost have to be an entertainment hub first and gaming device second. 10 years of games on the same video card? C'mon! Can't take gaming seriously with that limitation alone. It's the things outside of gaming that will really be the selling points.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

Like MKV support... Oh wait. Microsoft still doesn't provide native support for the best HD container.

Status
Not open for further replies.