[SOLVED] Xeon vs xeon v2

Tejama

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019
I'm choosing between xeon e3 1225v2 and an regular e3 1225, i'm buying them used and the price is 5 10 dollars apart.
My question here is how much better is the v2 version and is it worth taking over the regular one (only gaming performance)?
Thanks in advance!

Solution
I dont want to sound impolite but since im not that good with tech could you help me? The mobo is H61M-HVGS
OK -- Here is the list of supported CPUs -- https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M-HVGS/index.asp#CPU
If you look at the far right hand column of the table, you see what the MINIMUM BIOS version is.
ALSO notice that the E3-1225 (not V2) is NOT listed as supported. That is why you check BEFORE you buy. You have to buy the V2.
Since your I3-2120 has "all" listed, that means that version 1.0 of the BIOS supported it.
If you look at this page -- https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M-HVGS/index.asp#BIOS You will see the only BIOS version listed is 2.2 . If your current BIOS is version is less than 1.70...

kanewolf

Titan
I'm choosing between xeon e3 1225v2 and an regular e3 1225, i'm buying them used and the price is 5 10 dollars apart.
My question here is how much better is the v2 version and is it worth taking over the regular one (only gaming performance)?
Thanks in advance!
The V2 has 2MB more cache and slightly higher clock speed.
Before buying either, verify that the motherboard supports that CPU. Also verify what BIOS version is required for each CPU.

Tejama

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019
The V2 has 2MB more cache and slightly higher clock speed.
Before buying either, verify that the motherboard supports that CPU. Also verify what BIOS version is required for each CPU.
The mobo supports it (the lga 1155 socket)
I will check, but if they dont match what can I do about it(bios versions)? If it means anything im currently using i3 2120.

kanewolf

Titan
The mobo supports it (the lga 1155 socket)
I will check, but if they dont match what can I do about it(bios versions)? If it means anything im currently using i3 2120.
The CPU you currently have doesn't matter as much as the motherboard model.
You need to determine your current BIOS version. Then use the support page that the motherboard manufacturer has to determine IF your motherboard supports the V2 CPU. That will also tell you what BIOS version is required. IF a BIOS update is required you would use your existing i3 to do the BIOS upgrade then swap CPUs.

Tejama

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019
The CPU you currently have doesn't matter as much as the motherboard model.
You need to determine your current BIOS version. Then use the support page that the motherboard manufacturer has to determine IF your motherboard supports the V2 CPU. That will also tell you what BIOS version is required. IF a BIOS update is required you would use your existing i3 to do the BIOS upgrade then swap CPUs.
I dont want to sound impolite but since im not that good with tech could you help me? The mobo is H61M-HVGS

kanewolf

Titan
OK -- Here is the list of supported CPUs -- https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M-HVGS/index.asp#CPU
If you look at the far right hand column of the table, you see what the MINIMUM BIOS version is.
ALSO notice that the E3-1225 (not V2) is NOT listed as supported. That is why you check BEFORE you buy. You have to buy the V2.
Since your I3-2120 has "all" listed, that means that version 1.0 of the BIOS supported it.
If you look at this page -- https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M-HVGS/index.asp#BIOS You will see the only BIOS version listed is 2.2 . If your current BIOS is version is less than 1.70 then you HAVE to update before you swap CPUs.
The Xeon is going to run hotter than the I3. You should probably also upgrade your cooling if you are using the stock I3 cooler.

Solution

Tejama

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019
If you look at this page -- https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M-HVGS/index.asp#BIOS You will see the only BIOS version listed is 2.2 . If your current BIOS is version is less than 1.70 then you HAVE to update before you swap CPUs.
The Xeon is going to run hotter than the I3. You should probably also upgrade your cooling if you are using the stock I3 cooler.
I have one stupid question, why do I need to update if its less than 1.70 if the only listed version is 2.2 and I am running on stock fan.

kanewolf

Titan
I have one stupid question, why do I need to update if its less than 1.70 if the only listed version is 2.2 and I am running on stock fan.
Because the CPU support page I pointed you to shows the MINIMUM BIOS version that supports the CPU you want to use. It probably won't boot if you don't have at least the 1.70 version BIOS. ANY BIOS version greater than or equal to 1.70 will work. That is why I said you need to determine what BIOS version you currently have.
The Xeon is a 77W CPU your current one is 65W. You need a better CPU cooler to support the higher wattage of the new CPU.

Tejama

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019
Because the CPU support page I pointed you to shows the MINIMUM BIOS version that supports the CPU you want to use. It probably won't boot if you don't have at least the 1.70 version BIOS. ANY BIOS version greater than or equal to 1.70 will work. That is why I said you need to determine what BIOS version you currently have.
The Xeon is a 77W CPU your current one is 65W. You need a better CPU cooler to support the higher wattage of the new CPU.
If its version of mobo for example 1.80 would you recommend me to change it to 2.20 for better performance?
Anyways thank you so much for helping me

kanewolf

Titan
If its version of mobo for example 1.80 would you recommend me to change it to 2.20 for better performance?
Anyways thank you so much for helping me
IF you enter the BIOS and see that it is version 1.80, I would not recommend you update it. The CPU is supported. Might there be some performance or stability fix with 2.2 ? Yes... BUT there is risk of bricking your motherboard with a bad BIOS flash. If you don't HAVE to do it, then don't.

Tejama

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019
IF you enter the BIOS and see that it is version 1.80, I would not recommend you update it. The CPU is supported. Might there be some performance or stability fix with 2.2 ? Yes... BUT there is risk of bricking your motherboard with a bad BIOS flash. If you don't HAVE to do it, then don't.
Ok, thanks again for help :) if it needs an update ill find somebody with more expertise

Tejama

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019
My mobo version is 1.40 ill try to install that 2.2, any advices?