Feb 29, 2012
Just built a new rig

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
8gb Corsair vengeance
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 MOBO
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W PSU
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black case (placeholder)
XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB

Everything works a treat with one significant exception when the graphics card is under load (battlefield, skyrim, witcher2) It begins to smell like burnt electronics. Here is the kicker even while its smelling up the place I have never seen the card go over 50c. My place is an ice box because i have always enjoyed a good chill so the cards temps stay low and im constantly checking it. Regardless the smell is very noticeable bt only appears when Im doing something demanding. Is this normal? should i just RMA it? what do I do this is soiling an otherwise awesome first rig experience!!!

I can say that it is the power vrm on the chard, perhaps there is a short but not hot enough to burn yet so it gives off gases ie the smell. I know that smell very well and many that have been around the block long enough know it as blue smoke when it does burn. I would pull the card and check the pcb for discolorations that are not flux. Typically the pcb just darkens around the hot spot. Beyond that just rma the card before it bricks. If it were the psu there would be symptoms once an a while such as blue screen, random lock ups, and unexplained restarts.

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
Is the card new? Yes? Then I ould think your power supp MIGHT be the prob., Look op all your components watt usage and determine if the PSU is being overused. I know exactly what smell your talkiing about. Last time I smelt that, My Xbox CAUGHT ON FIRE. So I would strongly heed this.

Firenzey

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Went ahead and rma'ed the card and the psu and did the math and my original psu was up to snuff so when both items come back I will update you guys. Thanks so much for all the help and responses I really appreciate it.