XFX Radeon R9 390x Keeps crashing and recovering.

AlexBlue

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017
I have tried every solution I can find on the internet. I have updated to the latest drivers (!7.4.3) and I have changed the not responding time from 2 seconds to 8 seconds. I have purchased a more powerful fan to keep the graphics card cool and a better power supply.

I am at a loss and do not know how to fix this problem so that I can play any game.

The problem seems to be getting worse while also being completely random. Games that used to crash every 4-6 hours now crash every 3-20 minutes while games that never crashed, crash immediately or within an hour.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My build:
Windows 7
ASRock Z170m-ITX/ac
Intel Core i5 6400
Team Group Inc. DDR4-2132
SanDisk SDSSDA240G
AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
Corsair CXM750M

and two 1 terabyte disk drives

Hi - Plz list make and model of the "better Power Supply" ?

AlexBlue

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017

It is a Corsair CXM750M.

Hi again - at least if it goes it won't take anything else with it. The problem could be related to several things
unfortunately.

Did it start shortly after the change/addition of a component (GPU, PSU?) ?

Do you have both PCIE connectors (from the PSU) inserted snugly into the GPU?

Is there another PC (a friend, etc) where you could test the GPU & PSU separately?

Also, read this by Tradesman1 (here at Toms), to insure you haven't missed anything

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1753671/bench-troubleshooting.html

AlexBlue

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017

Hello, the GPU is connected to the motherboard by a riser that has a separate cable for power. As I thought maybe the motherboard wasn't doing the best job.

Both PCIE(I assume that is the power things that go on top) connectors are in as snugly as can be.

Yes I have a friend who should be able to do that I will check that and get back to you.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Theri0n

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
I have a bad news. Although Radeons are built to work at high temperatures main problems with artifacts come not from memory, but from main GPU. The small micro-connections between the chip and the board gets fractured over time by constant heating and cooling.

RMA if possible or keep doing all those magical thing with the card including refreshing the thermal paste, heating the chip on-board.

Unfortunately buying expensive second-hand Radeons is something like playing lottery comparing to GeForces. So do it if money spent are not critical.

TRENDING THREADS