XFX to Ship Radeon HD 5970 in a P90 Gun Case

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
This card with 6 display port connectors and 3 x the amount of RAM will cost at least $200 if not more, before any price reductions due to fermi.

[citation][nom]swat565[/nom]Win, But Why do I have this feeling that we will be paying 50-70 dollars just for the packaging...[/citation]
For the person that has the $700 to drop on a GPU will not notice the extra $50

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Admittedly, I'm not that familiar with guns. As a Canadian, my idea of a deadly weapon is a hockey stick and a blindside hit to the head.

Good to see that good old fashion hand to hand (or club to head?) combat is still popular ;)

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Ive always wanted a P90... not a video card in a case shaped like one but an actual p90. Only problem is they are like 1600 bucks last I checked and thats for the semiauto civilian version.

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
[citation][nom]cekasone[/nom]dude i cannot wait for the benchmarks on this box vs. a fermi box[/citation]

LOLOLOLOLOL

Why on earth would anyone pay $100 for a crappy plastic box that really doesn't even resemble a P90. I wouldn't even pay $5 more, even if it was really nice looking. What a joke, and why is this a news story at all?

[citation][nom]babachoo[/nom]LOLOLOLOLOLWhy on earth would anyone pay $100 for a crappy plastic box that really doesn't even resemble a P90. I wouldn't even pay $5 more, even if it was really nice looking. What a joke, and why is this a news story at all?[/citation]

And you didn read the part where XFX would be hand-picking the 5970's for overclockability before blasting off to comment, right?

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]ROFL, the box is worth more then the card.. Ati is really on top of things, that is why they aren't lowering the prices to compete with the gtx 480.[/citation]
Because they don't have to, to stay competitive. They've had the competitive edge for oh.. say, 6 months now. And the Fermi release didn't change that.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I don't see the XM8 resemblance, but you're right about the mixed design from the other two. The top looks like just a normal full rail with a handle. It hints at the FN Scar more than anything.

marcusmurphy

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]I don't see the XM8 resemblance, but you're right about the mixed design from the other two. The top looks like just a normal full rail with a handle. It hints at the FN Scar more than anything.[/citation]
Actually you're all wrong. It most closely resembles a Magpul PDR.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Important question: since this card has 4 gigs of RAM, do you need to be running an x64 OS? I heard of an option in some motherboards to remap addresses. The maximum amount of addressable memory in most x86 installations is 4 gigs.

leorick

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
wow~!!!

Actually, it does kinda resembles that modified P-90 they used in the TV series Stargate SG-1. Jack O'Neil's favorite weapon.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]marcusmurphy[/nom]Actually you're all wrong. It most closely resembles a Magpul PDR.[/citation]
If you say so. The only resemblance it has to the PDR is the flat top Full coverage rail. Almost everything else is entirely different.

marcusmurphy

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]If you say so. The only resemblance it has to the PDR is the flat top Full coverage rail. Almost everything else is entirely different.[/citation]
Most closely resembles, not an exact replica. It definitely looks more like the Magpul than any FN model that people are dropping names of. It really doesn't matter, because it probably isn't going to be named as a replica of any gun by XFX

Status
Not open for further replies.