Xi3's Piston "Steam Box" to Arrive Nov. 29 with Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA! They want you to pay hundreds, if not $1k+ for form factor? Lmao. Btw, $750 for a 512GB SSD, a few hundred more than for an 840 Pro iirc. Oh and $200 for an APU overclockon the X7A. These things are terrible.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Pay a third of that, build a slim HTPC case that fits well in a home entertainment centre and the spend the money you saved on a bitching sound system, amp and a copy of Windows so you can play the other 90% of your Steam games collection as well including all the AAA titles you would otherwise not have

Pallimud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I'd purchase the 16GB model then buy an SSD on the side and replace it. The price is too high for extra storage when it's modular and you can buy your own SSD drive.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah i already have a powerful PC and as steamOS lets me stream games from it i'm just going to build a low budget HTPC, I dont see the need to go all out on something like this, my main computer is pretty much always on and Its wired to the router so no lag over wifi

jwcalla

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
So it doesn't have SteamOS and doesn't meet Valve's hardware certification to be called a Steam Machine... so yeah, definitely not a Steam Box or the like. It'd be nice if people stayed away from using other companies' trademarks to promote these products.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Kevin's publications are mainly advertisements disguised as news articles...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009

As per the actual story, Steam Box was coined by the press, not Valve, so nobody's trademark is being used

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Interesting fact about the steam box being a media creation and not valve's official name which is steam machine. Is the Piston a steam box? Yeah, that's what the media called it. Is the Piston a Steam Machine? Hell no! That cube is so weak that it belongs next to normal consumer laptops in the $500 range.

They're now pushing this as a console, really? I remember seeing an interview done by Gamespot and the representative clearly did not have any technical knowledge and was just saying stuff that sounded off from a brochure. He was using sketchy salesman tactics to evade answers and it clearly shows this product is a bad idea overall, at that price anyway.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
im just really glad Valve dumped their asses before bigger problems occured. They are already riding that small wave of press that they got from Valves involvement. they are definitely a sketchy bunch. One day Gabe Newell was talking about price points, the very next day this thing goes up on preorder at a ridiculous price, a few hours later Gabe announces they are done. this thing definitely isnt worth $1000. this thing is basically a laptop without windows, without a monitor, without a keyboard, and without a battery.

Id place it at $500 because of originality and R&D that went into making the mobo, but its just a very naked laptop crammed into a cube.

jwcalla

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011

Yeah but Steam is a trademark.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I would never spend $1000 on that thing. With SteamOS (claiming) to be able to run on pretty much any hardware, this thing is not much to consider. And saying things like this just adds to the humor of the situation:

"Xi3 has never described its PISTON Console (PC) as the Steam box or a Steam Box...snip...So in this regard, PISTON could be considered the first commercially available Steam Box."

'Xi3 has never described this to be tje Steam Box. But we COULD describe it to be the Steam Box.' ROFL

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
$1000?!?! I better get a lapdance, a bj, a cigarette afterwards, some dessert with hot fudge topping, 3-4 hours of cuddling, an awkward morning, a hangover, and a phone call 9 months later, because it sounds like I'm getting screwed if I buy this.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
@clonezepam - yay after I typed all that work I really thought the SSD was overkill, which would put ya in the 400-500 USD range depending on what drive ya went with.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well this is not Sony or MS device that is sold with negative price for produser. These are normal price products with good profit margin... The stange thing is that they are not using Kaveri in here...
It may be better to compare this to Xbox and PS4. This has better CPU, this has better GPU, this has SSD drive. so this is much faster thay neither of those consoles. And it is more expensive....
But ofcource normal PC can be cheaper. We can say more when full specs are revealed...
1000$ is guite a lot, for "normal" console, so it will be interesting to see how well this will sell. Maybe we will see much weaker and cheaper version too?

I find out that:
Quasi-CEO Gabe Newell had previously told The Verge that hardware would be split into "good" (~$100 USD), "better" ($300+ USD), and "best" hardware tiers, with the top level having no cap on the allowed hardware or price.

So this is in the "best" gategory. Expect to see cheap 100$ version too!

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
It will sell well. Just look at Apple. The most over price, over hyped hardware on the planet (w/ typical Intel motherboards and chipsets as found in Dells, Hp, everyone else) and people think that an aluminum case = quality parts. There is a market for the Xi3, it just isn't to the typical audience here at Tom's

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
It does look cool, but I'm not cramped for space in my entertainment rack. My stack of amplifiers, DVD, BluRay, CD, 2 receivers, DVRs, etc, stands about 5 foot tall.

An HTPC would fit much better in the rack than this tiny thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.