Question XMP and RAM settings causing instability and Blue Screen

Jun 9, 2022
Hey everyone, I posted about wanting to get my computers RAM running at as close to as full advertised frequency as possible a while ago. And after asking around I learned about XMP profiles which I had not been using before. I could only get my system to be stable at 2800MHz but I would still have everything completely freeze on me. Today I tried XMP1 on my Asus motherboard and turned it down to 3200MHz (as high as my CPU will accept) and It wouldn't post. So I tried 3100MHz and it seemed fine until tonight when I booted up a game and got a blue screen accompanied by a lovely noise. Blue Screen viewer said ntoskrnl.exe was the culprit. I have since turned it down to 3066MHz and haven't seen anything yet although it's only been like 10 minutes. As previously stated before I'm using Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 AMD Optimized" And an Intel i7 12700k. Does anyone know what could be up with this? I do wanna get as much out of my RAM as possible. I'm fine with it being below like 3100Mhz or 3066Mhz but it seems like no matter what frequency it's on or what XMP I use it's going to crash.

Edit I should mention that using XMP2 made 3100Mhz much worse. As it looks like it does less in terms of tuning the RAM settings. I couldn't even get to Blue Screen View with that profile. Screen would flash blue like it was going to blue screen but Blue Screen View didn't pick it up and the start bar was unresponsive. Then it eventually froze. And while I'm at it. Does XMP change fan speed? My computer seems to be noticeably louder now.

Last edited:
well as those ram modules mention in name, they are amd optimised, but you got intel
that means you will need to manualy tinker with ram settings to make them intel optimised :)

to start with, you will need to find out which IC your ram modules have, (use thaiphoon burner), then look at overclocker forums for your ram ICs to get timings to get some base overclock profile

Jun 9, 2022
well as those ram modules mention in name, they are amd optimised, but you got intel
that means you will need to manualy tinker with ram settings to make them intel optimised :)

to start with, you will need to find out which IC your ram modules have, (use thaiphoon burner), then look at overclocker forums for your ram ICs to get timings to get some base overclock profile

Yeah I noticed as much when I posted some other thread. Most people said it wouldn't be too big of an issue, but apparently it's becoming one. Is there any free tool I could use to analyze this? People recommended CPU-Z but I cant find where the suggested timings are in that. Worth noting I'm pretty new to tweaking bios settings and that sort of thing, just learned what an XMP even was today. XMP just edits memory settings right? At least that's what it looked like to me, so I'm probably just imagining my computer running louder and hotter because I haven't monitored that since I got it lol. Regardless if it comes to that I can pay the $15 to get the timings right. Would be nice to have this thing not crash, hasn't done it again since I set it down to 3066MHz though. I'm really not trying to squeeze every last bit of performance or overclock, I don't really think I'd need to, I'd be fine with 3066MHz if I could verify it was stable, I just don't wanna mess up anything or have it crash while working. 2800MHz (before I enabled or knew about XMP) seemed stable before but even then it would freeze every 4 or 5 days without warning.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I posted about wanting to get my computers RAM running at as close to as full advertised frequency as possible a while ago. And after asking around I learned about XMP profiles which I had not been using before. I could only get my system to be stable at 2800MHz but I would still have everything completely freeze on me. Today I tried XMP1 on my Asus motherboard and turned it down to 3200MHz (as high as my CPU will accept) and It wouldn't post. So I tried 3100MHz and it seemed fine until tonight when I booted up a game and got a blue screen accompanied by a lovely noise. Blue Screen viewer said ntoskrnl.exe was the culprit. I have since turned it down to 3066MHz and haven't seen anything yet although it's only been like 10 minutes. As previously stated before I'm using Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 AMD Optimized" And an Intel i7 12700k. Does anyone know what could be up with this? I do wanna get as much out of my RAM as possible. I'm fine with it being below like 3100Mhz or 3066Mhz but it seems like no matter what frequency it's on or what XMP I use it's going to crash.

Edit I should mention that using XMP2 made 3100Mhz much worse. As it looks like it does less in terms of tuning the RAM settings. I couldn't even get to Blue Screen View with that profile. Screen would flash blue like it was going to blue screen but Blue Screen View didn't pick it up and the start bar was unresponsive. Then it eventually froze. And while I'm at it. Does XMP change fan speed? My computer seems to be noticeably louder now.
Proper bios?

Are these 2 sticks of ram a kit?

Jun 9, 2022
Proper bios?

Are these 2 sticks of ram a kit?
Two sticks of ram are definitely both from that same kit, they came together. the motherboard is an Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard, I can't say I've updated the bios since I got it though. Do you think that would change the XMP profiles enough to cause it to crash on an earlier version?

Two sticks of ram are definitely both from that same kit, they came together. the motherboard is an Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard, I can't say I've updated the bios since I got it though. Do you think that would change the XMP profiles enough to cause it to crash on an earlier version?
No idea.
Get the proper bios/chipset/ME......test.

If your overclocking the cpu set it back to stock.

Jun 9, 2022
No idea.
Get the proper bios/chipset/ME......test.

If your overclocking the cpu set it back to stock.

updated bios, chipset, and ME. Couldn't boot into windows with 3200MHz but could with 3100MHz like before. Kind of expecting the same result. But we'll see if I bluescreen. I'm thinking I might have to buy that tool to figure out what voltages I need to put the ram at. Also, I haven't overclocked anything, I'm okay with keeping it that way as I don't think I would need it.

Last edited: