[SOLVED] XMP makes my PC randomly reboot, no blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtmil26

Reputable
Dec 10, 2017
Hi,
So I was recently trying to overclock my PC since I got COD Cold War, and my frame were okay, but not great. I have a 144 hz monitor, and my PC was struggling to put out 110 on most maps, and dipped constantly below 60 fps during gunfights, explosions, etc. Was not consistent at all, so I tried to OC my GPU (didn't go well) so I returned it to stock settings and decided to take a look at my CPU and RAM. My ram is 3200 MHz GSkill Trident Z ram that I used in my previous Ryzen build back in Gen 1 of Ryzen. I've since upgraded to a intel i7-8700k, cooled by Be quiet Dark rock Pro 4 (the big ass guy with one fan on the outside and one in the middle) I have zero issues with temps, at all, even during a 5 ghz overclock, main issue however is stability. I OC'd my CPU first to 5 ghz and it was not very stable. Followed a guide from someone with my exact setup, and yet it still had issues so I lowered it to 4.7 ghz. It was definitely better, but once I turned my XMP profile on for my RAM, my PC would reboot randomly whether I was in CW or sitting at the desktop with no major apps open. I tried setting my CPU back to stock settings to see if that improved it, but it still randomly rebooted. It never "crashed" per se, I didn't get any error messages at all. Checked the specs on my mobo, board is capable of up to 4k MHz, so no problem there. Bios update is pretty recent, along with chipset drivers. Kinda stumped here, turned XMP off and everything is back to normal, but I would like to use my RAM at its advertised speeds, any suggestions?

Specs:
i7-8700k
MSI z370 SLI Plus
GSKILL trident Z 3200 mhz RAM
GTX 1080 EVGA FTW2
Boot drive is 970 EVO M.2
PSU Coolermaster MasterWatt 750W 80+ bronze
Running the latest version of windows 10 as well

Another question, I'm planning on upgrading my GPU, but not sure if I should get a 3070 or 3080 (I know they're literally nowhere to be found but I found a couple) My mobo is a gen3 PCI-e but not sure if it can handle it well, what do you guys think?

Solution
Ddr4 is good upto 1.5v (Intel XMP2.0 limits) , but that's strongly not recommended for everyday use. 1.35v-1.375v will be fine.

If XMP is unstable, first make very sure you have completely backed out of any previous OC attempts by resetting the bios (and cmos as well as that'll override bios settings on OS startup) back to factory optimized settings (usually F5).

Follow cmos reset procedure, then boot directly to bios, reset bios, save, boot to OS. Shutdown and reboot to bios.

Then try XMP profile, manually adjust dram from 1.35v voltage to 1.3525v. Save, boot to OS, play game. If no crashes, leave well enough alone, you are good. If still crash, bump dram voltage upto 1.355v. Continue up in very Small increments until crashes stop...
If there's a newer BIOS available that should be your first move.

Have you set the memory timings manually in the BIOS including the voltage ? If not you should try that.

If your GSkill is Samsung B die memory you can easily boost the voltage up a bit to help with stability...running 1.35v is common these days on many memory kits and most people feel comfortable running it higher on B die kits. I run my own B die 3200mhz kit at 3600 c16 @ 1.375 24/7 without issue.

I haven't owned a kit with Hynix memory chips in ages so I have no idea if they are safe at the same voltages.

As far as a new GPU goes buy whatever your budget will allow...both the 3070 and 3080 are excellent cards but I would go with the 3080 given the option.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ddr4 is good upto 1.5v (Intel XMP2.0 limits) , but that's strongly not recommended for everyday use. 1.35v-1.375v will be fine.

If XMP is unstable, first make very sure you have completely backed out of any previous OC attempts by resetting the bios (and cmos as well as that'll override bios settings on OS startup) back to factory optimized settings (usually F5).

Follow cmos reset procedure, then boot directly to bios, reset bios, save, boot to OS. Shutdown and reboot to bios.

Then try XMP profile, manually adjust dram from 1.35v voltage to 1.3525v. Save, boot to OS, play game. If no crashes, leave well enough alone, you are good. If still crash, bump dram voltage upto 1.355v. Continue up in very Small increments until crashes stop.

If you cannot get stability before hitting Dram 1.4v, you have other issues.

And it's never advisable to just set such a large OC amount from the start, better to work your way up in stages, adjusting All that needs adjusting, like ring voltages, sa agent, LLC, pll, power phases, c-states etc.

Solution

jtmil26

Reputable
Dec 10, 2017
If there's a newer BIOS available that should be your first move.

Have you set the memory timings manually in the BIOS including the voltage ? If not you should try that.

If your GSkill is Samsung B die memory you can easily boost the voltage up a bit to help with stability...running 1.35v is common these days on many memory kits and most people feel comfortable running it higher on B die kits. I run my own B die 3200mhz kit at 3600 c16 @ 1.375 24/7 without issue.

I haven't owned a kit with Hynix memory chips in ages so I have no idea if they are safe at the same voltages.

As far as a new GPU goes buy whatever your budget will allow...both the 3070 and 3080 are excellent cards but I would go with the 3080 given the option.
Have not tried manually setting memory timings manually/voltage manually. I used to use XMP basically 24/7 before. That stopped however when I was having stability issues with windows, figured out my OS M.2 drive and windows install were pretty bad so got a new M.2 drive and fresh installed windows. I noticed once I had done that my OC settings had seemingly gone back to stock which was odd. I knew the stability issues before were not due to XMP because I had ran XMP everyday for months on end before the stability issues started to occur. Then again I was on older BIOS and chipset revision when I had consistent OC's, so not sure if OC's got more unstable as newer revisions came out. I did update the BIOS and chipset drivers when I installed a new boot drive (around late December 2020). That's when I noticed issues immediately after OCing. Also not sure if my RAM is B die or Hynix, will have to check up on that. Will update BIOS and try manual settings out and update this thread, thank you!!

May 7, 2023

Then try XMP profile, manually adjust dram from 1.35v voltage to 1.3525v. Save, boot to OS, play game. If no crashes, leave well enough alone, you are good. If still crash, bump dram voltage upto 1.355v. Continue up in very Small increments until crashes stop.

If you cannot get stability before hitting Dram 1.4v, you have other issues.

And it's never advisable to just set such a large OC amount from the start, better to work your way up in stages, adjusting All that needs adjusting, like ring voltages, sa agent, LLC, pll, power phases, c-states etc.
I'm having the same problem right now and i know little about computers other then the basics. Do you maybe have discord so you could explain it to me better? My discord is *Removed*
Specs:
Ryzen 5 5600G
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WIFI II
PNY XLR8 GAMING 16GB 3600MHZ (DDR4)
RX 6600 XT MSI GAMING DUAL TORX FANS
Boot Drive: Western Digital 1TB WD Blue 3D NAND M.2
PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 650W, BN641, Fully Modular
Windows 11 Home Latest Version
Already took CMOS out for 5 minutes to try and reset BIOS settings but still same FPS dropping, PC restarting randomly when playing even the lightest games, also saw something about a "Minidump/Dumpfile" if your able to read those type of files to see the problem it would be very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.