XP Home and Exchange

Rich

We are running Microsoft Exchange 2000 and most users are running
Windows 2000 pro but we have one laptop that is set up with XP home
edition and Outlook 2000. I cannot find a way to get that machine to
see the Exchange server. People have told me it is impossible. Is
it? Rich

You need to join a domain to access mail on a Exchange Server, that would
mean you should be running Windows XP Professional, not Home Edition. Home
Edition cannot join a Domain and obviously the Exchange Server would be a
member server in a Domain.

If the computer you use at work has XP Pro on it, what you could do is
install the Remote Desktop Client on the XP Home machine to access the pro
machine.

See link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp

Andre

"Rich" <rdaley@yea.org> wrote in message
> We are running Microsoft Exchange 2000 and most users are running
> Windows 2000 pro but we have one laptop that is set up with XP home
> edition and Outlook 2000. I cannot find a way to get that machine to
> see the Exchange server. People have told me it is impossible. Is
> it? Rich

What do you mean you cannot get it to 'see' the exchange server? You mean
from within Outlook you cannot get the user's profile set up to access his
mailbox or that the XP Home laptop will not communicate with the Exchange
server at all? Can you ping the Exchange server from the laptop? can you
access shares on the Ex server from the laptop?

Dan DeStefano

"Andre Da Costa" <andred25@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You need to join a domain to access mail on a Exchange Server, that would
> mean you should be running Windows XP Professional, not Home Edition. Home
> Edition cannot join a Domain and obviously the Exchange Server would be a
> member server in a Domain.

No - you do not need to join a domain to access your Exchange server from an
Outlook mail client on a Windows XP machine.
You simple provide the credentials required at connection time (these can be
set to be remembered)

--

Regards,

Mike