XP Home Processor support

Billh

If I have a Intel Processor on a hyperthread enabled motherboard the
processor shows up as two processors even though it is physically just one.
Will XP Home support this or do I need XP Pro?

Thanks,
billh

Hello
Yes it looks like XP Pro for you.
XP Home does not support dual processors.

--
Hope This Helps
Haus
"billh" <NoMail@Post2Newsgroup.Pls> wrote in message
> If I have a Intel Processor on a hyperthread enabled motherboard the
> processor shows up as two processors even though it is physically just
one.
> Will XP Home support this or do I need XP Pro?
>
> Thanks,
> billh

However, he's talking about a single processor with hyperthreading, which
Home does support.

Haus wrote:
> Yes it looks like XP Pro for you.
> XP Home does not support dual processors.

Bill,

Windows XP Home edition or Pro Edition will work for you fine.
Hyperthreading is supported in both retail versions of the XP operating
systems.

--
<- Shenan ->

810231 - INFO: Windows XP and Hyper-Threading:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;810231

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell

"billh" <NoMail@Post2Newsgroup.Pls> wrote in message news:4%ilc.8862$ZJ5.419909@news20.bellglobal.com...
If I have a Intel Processor on a hyperthread enabled motherboard the
processor shows up as two processors even though it is physically just one.
Will XP Home support this or do I need XP Pro?

Thanks,
billh

Sorry
I read the original post wrong, should have went to bed earlier.

--
"D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> However, he's talking about a single processor with hyperthreading, which
> Home does support.
>

> "Haus" <youknow@iwillslapyou> wrote in message
> > Hello
> > Yes it looks like XP Pro for you.
> > XP Home does not support dual processors.
> >
> > --
> > Hope This Helps
> > Haus
> > Not a MS-MVP
> > Not a MVP
> > Not nothing, just a good ole boy.
> > "billh" <NoMail@Post2Newsgroup.Pls> wrote in message
> > > If I have a Intel Processor on a hyperthread enabled motherboard the
> > > processor shows up as two processors even though it is physically just
> > one.
> > > Will XP Home support this or do I need XP Pro?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > billh

Bill,

For operating system licensing and support purposes we only count physical
CPUs, so while Windows XP Home Edition is licensed for use on a single CPU
it will work fine with a Hyper threading CPU as these provide 2 virtual CPUs
per single physical one.

--
Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"billh" <NoMail@Post2Newsgroup.Pls> wrote in message
> If I have a Intel Processor on a hyperthread enabled motherboard the
> processor shows up as two processors even though it is physically just
one.
> Will XP Home support this or do I need XP Pro?
>
> Thanks,
> billh

Heh. I thought I was the only one who did that. Good thing we're not sleepy
brain surgeons.

billh wrote:

>If I have a Intel Processor on a hyperthread enabled motherboard the
>processor shows up as two processors even though it is physically just one.
>Will XP Home support this or do I need XP Pro?

That is OK in Home. Its limit to one CPU is to one Physical chip - that
can support two virtual processors through Hyperthreading