XP Service Pack 3 Kills AMD Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just ran into this last night on an HP Media Center m7334n system I was working on. I restored the system to a factory-fresh install, installed SP3 right away, and got stuck in an infinite reboot. However, I was still able to boot into safe mode without any trouble. Once in safe mode, open regedit, browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm and change the "Start" value from 1 to 4. Reboot, and Windows should boot up normally. Also, you can do this step before you even start the SP3 install, and then the problem will never occur in the first place.

G

I had the same crash issue after installing SP3 on a DELL AMD X2 laptop ... so not only HP gets that issue it's with AMD processors i guess.

I ended in an Reboot looping ... Safe mode not accessible at all. I had to resintall windows.

DiscoDuck

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
My wife's homemade gigabyte-amd x2-4000 machine failed to boot a few days after the upgrade. Thankfully I could easily restore the image of right before, from my windows home server. It saved my bacon. Other 5 machines in the house dont seem to mind sp3.

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I have this installed on 2 AMD based machines that I built with zero issues. Machine 1 is a 2500 barton and an abit nforce2 mobo, machine 2 is an 6400+ A64 x2 Black Edition @3.6 ghz and a foxconn 590 sli.

I think it would be more responsible news reporting to title this an "OEM issue" rather than an "AMD issue". Clearly this is not an ALL AMD machine problem.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
The article should not have been called "XP Service Pack 3 Kills AMD Machines" but instead "XP Service Pack 3 shows stupidity in HP images". What kind of freak puts a ghost image on a machine that is not perfectly identical to the original? And people go for the brand... If Intel had any influence in this, then AMD is right in suing.

G

Although the most upsetting aspect surely has to be the fact that HP did not bother to test the SP before it was released to general public, there was release candidates out and all they had to do was install it on 2 machines... So ppl in the land of frivolous lawsuits, go get them :)

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Oh, yes, yes, lawsuits, I forgot to mention them... I want my money back! (or give me some money, since I don't have an AMD HP neither at work or at home) :)

Brunnen-G

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Just updated to sp3, My system is AMD 4800+ Brisbane, Sapphire micro ATX with the AMD 690G chip set.. and ATI 1950XT, No problems, install was smooth and in fact my display seems sharper(!?)... Since these are "new" CPU and chip sets, perhaps the problem lies with older hardware versions... Hope this helps

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
This is weird. You would think that Microsoft would have tested SP3 on almost all systems out there, including AMD machines, to make sure something like this would not happen.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Great, I knew i should have waited to install it. I cannot afford to lose any data on this system. I have recordings of bands, and if those are lost, someone will pay for it dearly.

G

XP service pack 3, won't let me get in to windows. I had the beta version for awhile, but then I installed a software update from Microsoft about 2 weeks ago. Ever sence the update, my pc has load slower and kept on showing a error message after windows completly loaded up. The error message would say PROCESS id=0x9e0(2528) Thread id =0x9e4(2532) debug or cancel. I would hit debug but it would say can not debug system at this time retry later. I could still use xpsp3 but i notice some lag in booting up. My pc would continue to pop up the error message every time i load up, but I can still use xpsp3. Until a few days ago, xpsp3 was usable but now I can't even get bass the boot screen. It loops over and over into booting screens. I can not even get into safe mode. My pc is a AMD Phenom 9850/ on a AM2 Gigabyte motherboard.

G

Installed this SP on many machines and found problems with every one. Doesn't matter about age or gender. My opinion is that the manufacturers dropped the ball by not fully testing the beta or RTM version they received. Good thing it can be uninstalled, unless your one of the unlucky ones that can't boot anymore. Twin pillars again to microshaft.

G

Sounds like everyone should investin a Windows Home Server to ensure bad software doesn't permanently brick your PCs.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Fredly[/nom]Sounds like everyone should investin a Windows Home Server to ensure bad software doesn't permanently brick your PCs.[/citation]

..or what about just ghosting an image of your windows installation, onto some DVD media or a flash drive?

G

I had the same problem. After first installing SP3, my computer rebooted like after usual installations. However when loading the profiles account window, it kept rebooting itself. So I reinstalled the backup disk and all worked ok. however, now my computer was set back to SP1. I did download the entire sP3 and then installed it, rather than go through windows update website to do so. I found out that downloading the SP3 yourself, and then installing it, works!

G

XP SP 3 corrupted my AMD system's NVIDIA interfaces. I have a self-built AMD 3000, Asus+NVIDIA motherboard. Worked great with no problems whatsoever. Loaded SP 3 and I couldn't get to the net via Mozilla or IE. System also kept trying to add a new "high definition audio" device which turned out to be one of my network cards.

Thankfully, my Windows restore point worked and I reverted back to the previous config. All is well now. Note to self: disable Windows updates. Personally I think they're messing with XP so that we get frustrated and go waste money on Vista...

bassman333

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Microsoft needs to rename Win XP SP3 to Windows XP Service Crash 3. Had same loop boot errors on several Dell Optiplex 745s with Intel Dual Pentium Processors using XP Pro non-OEM.

G

Have a older amd cpu and i've having no trouble. In fact i've had a major performance boost.

CNN

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I have installed SP3 on my amd machine and when I get to the sign on screen (after it takes 40 mins. to boot to get there) there is no account boxes to pick and when I press cntl/alt/delete I get log in screen where it wants a user name and password, however I never installed a password. Is there a global sign in/password set up in windows that is a default if you never assign one?

G

seems like as usuall microsfot has released a product that simply doesnt work to acceptable standards upon release. since driver cleaning my hdd and reformatting then fresh installing xp with sp3 my internet doesnt connect properly, itunes doesnt playback without stuttering, ie7 is usless. i have every new driver possible all for sp3.

macs never looked so tempting...

Status
Not open for further replies.