XPProSp2 - NT4 User Manager problem

I use a Windows XP machine to run User Manager for Domains on a Windows NT4
server. I installed SP2 on the XP machine. Now User Manager will still run
on the XPSP2 machine, but clicking on a user account returns:

The following error occurred accessing the properties of the user ****: The
specified procedure could not be found. The user properties cannot be
edited or viewed at this time.

I've been looking around Technet and MSDN but there doesn't seem to be
anything about this. Any ideas?
Ric Dexter

It sounds like a new "bug"... Perhaps a MS support engineer will see
this... :)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:08:49 -0400, "Ric Dexter" <nospam@notreal.com>
wrote:

>I use a Windows XP machine to run User Manager for Domains on a Windows NT4
>server. I installed SP2 on the XP machine. Now User Manager will still run
>on the XPSP2 machine, but clicking on a user account returns:
>>
>The following error occurred accessing the properties of the user ****: The
>specified procedure could not be found. The user properties cannot be
>edited or viewed at this time.
>>
>I've been looking around Technet and MSDN but there doesn't seem to be
>anything about this. Any ideas?
>Ric Dexter

I guess I tend to think that a new lockdown setting, rather than a bug, per
se, is behind this. Probably they locked down a cross-network api that was
perceived as little-used as a security improvement.

You might post in one of the Windows Server groups where other server admins
hang out to see whether there are others that have hit this and have
workarounds, or enough depth of knowledge to say what setting might be
involved. Some of the SP2 changes may be reversable via registry changes.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:s168i0dhkciah0ucdccvha7ad97bh1v35n@4ax.com...
> It sounds like a new "bug"... Perhaps a MS support engineer will see
> this... :)
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:08:49 -0400, "Ric Dexter" <nospam@notreal.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I use a Windows XP machine to run User Manager for Domains on a Windows
>>NT4
>>server. I installed SP2 on the XP machine. Now User Manager will still
>>run
>>on the XPSP2 machine, but clicking on a user account returns:
>>>
>>The following error occurred accessing the properties of the user ****:
>>The
>>specified procedure could not be found. The user properties cannot be
>>edited or viewed at this time.
>>>
>>I've been looking around Technet and MSDN but there doesn't seem to be
>>anything about this. Any ideas?
>>Ric Dexter

I have the same situation, confirmed it on other XP SP2 machines.
Anyone seen a fix for it yet? I can remote to a W2k machine and run it
but that is a pain.

--
ingersoll