Xps 410 Graphics Card Recommendations

G

Hey, I know this is sort of a repeat question and I apologize. I've been trying to sift through forums and the net for hours, so I figure I'd ask here.

I'm trying to find a sub $100 graphics card to upgrade to in my Dell XPS 410. It has 4gb ram and a 375w psu.
I think it has the Radeon x1300 series in it now, which is junk (256mb)

What is a good card that I can run safely on the 375w psu, as I don't wish to mess with upgrading this at the time. The upgraded card will be used for gaming (Starcraft 2, Diablo III, Wow). I've found a lot of graphics cards sub $100 but the whole 375w throws me off.

In addition, a general question. When a graphics card says, for example min psu 300w, is that taking into account the other components added into your computer, or is a 300 min recomendation going to overheat a 375w psu?

Thanks in advanced

Solution
the OP does not need a new PSU, the 410 comes with a 375w PSU that can easily push a 4850/5750/5770/GTS250. I have an XPS 410 that is currently running a GTS 250 with the stock 375w PSU.

Picture003.jpg

here is a nice 250 that wont break the bank :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127495&cm_re=GTS_250-_-14-127-495-_-Product

don't bother with the 1Gb model as it performs the same as the 512mb version.

thereaper123

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
That's the same PC I had!
Anyway, I have already asked once here, and everyone told that is a good PSU, and it will be able to manage a 5770.
So go for a 5770 if you can afford it, else get the 5750.

G

Err... not to be ignorant, but how do I find out how many amps on the 12V rail? I used to do hardware stuff, so 10 years ago I could have told you.. haven't messed with it in a while.

G

Thank you; that card looks nice, but honestly, I'm looking for something under $100. Do you have any suggestions in that range?

G

I had actually looked @ the gt 240 but I wasn't sure. The money isn't the problem.. it's just the hearing about it from the wife factor since I blew a lot on a tv, xbox games etc.

Also when buying a card, for example the gt 240. It's obviously a Geforce, but does it make a difference whether its Nvidia, PNY, Sapphire, etc?

thereaper123

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
I had actually looked @ the gt 240 but I wasn't sure. The money isn't the problem.. it's just the hearing about it from the wife factor since I blew a lot on a tv, xbox games etc.

Also when buying a card, for example the gt 240. It's obviously a Geforce, but does it make a difference whether its Nvidia, PNY, Sapphire, etc?
Every chip is different, but beside that whetever it's POV, Sapphire ecc it doesn't make much difference. Even though it doesn't make any difference in performance, they have different coolers, thus different temps.
And also I'd say that the ones with a more famous name are a bit more reliable (atleast that's what everyone says, most probably because you get lower temps and thus lower fail raiting, and probably because they are welt in different ways).

G

Well which ones are the reliable resellers and which ones aren't?

G

I was trying to dig a little more and find out more specs are the card I was replacing. It's from '06.. I stated it was ATI Radeon x1300 series.. I can't find what bit it is, but Catalyst says it's 256mb DDR2, 594Mhz Core Clock, 396 Memory Clock

G

Copied the wrong number I think. Got E210882 off the motherboard. I know it's Intel Duo Core 6400 @2.13 ghz

Timop

Distinguished

+1, Suggested that in the first post, great card for the money.
a high OC might overwhelm the PSU though.

thereaper123

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010

He won't be able to overclock much anyway. His bios are locked, so he can't have a higher vcore.

G

That card looks good. I think I might order it; my psu can definitely handle it though w/o causing any system damage? I tried to look at the requirements but it doesn't list a psu req. or amp req.

thereaper123

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
That card looks good. I think I might order it; my psu can definitely handle it though w/o causing any system damage? I tried to look at the requirements but it doesn't list a psu req. or amp req.
Check here.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2320914,00.asp
226w on load with Core2 Extreme X9650 3.0Ghz.

Some dells with the same psu have been shipped with a 8800gtx (or gt, I don't remember), and the 8800 uses more or less the same power of the 4850, so I'd say you're quiete fine.

G

I just meant in general. The card I was going to get was sold out. Any other recommendations for this 375 PSU? Is there a speed/graphics difference in the same card say if its.. 128-bit compared to 256-bit? I guess price wise I was just noticing, for example say a card @ $90 would be 1gb and 128-bit with ddr3 or another card priced the same would be 512mb 256-bit with ddr-whatever. Just wasn't sure if there was a quality diff. in the 128 compared to 256

thereaper123

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
I just meant in general. The card I was going to get was sold out. Any other recommendations for this 375 PSU? Is there a speed/graphics difference in the same card say if its.. 128-bit compared to 256-bit? I guess price wise I was just noticing, for example say a card @ $90 would be 1gb and 128-bit with ddr3 or another card priced the same would be 512mb 256-bit with ddr-whatever. Just wasn't sure if there was a quality diff. in the 128 compared to 256

A 128 bit bus is way better than a 256 bit one. That's twice the bandwith. And a 128bit gddr5 is more or less equal to 256bit gddr3.
You're most probably fine with 512mb. You will only notice a gain in performance only at really high reolutions (and just in some games).

TRENDING THREADS