[YAFAP] Europa V Val-Hum-Law-Fem.

Feels damn good to be writing this post.

A Huge thanks to those who wrote the spoilers and Maniac's Ascension Guide.
Also thanks to Dion Nicolaas for Dudley's dungeon. I stumbled across this
somehow, It inspired me to start playing again after a long break and also
got one of my friends hooked on the game (He wanted to know why I was
finding them so funny.)

Europa was the fifth Valkyrie in a row after playing random classes for
a long time.
The previous four fell to:
A large dog called Idefix from a bones file.
A fire ant.
An arch-Lich on the level below mine town. Polymorph trap I presume?
A cockatrice I bumped into while hallucinating.

I had a fair bit of luck early on in this game. I started out by gaining
enough levels to go fishing for excalibur, before heading
for to minetown. On the way I found a lamp that turned out to be
magic, then I found another on a bones file a couple of levels below along
with a cursed bag of holding.
The minetown altar was co-aligned, this was lucky since it was the only
altar
I found. This got me the holy water I needed to fix up that BoH and get a
wish
out of one of the lamps (saving the other for later.) Wearing a new set of
GDSM
and weilding the hammer my god was kind enough to give me I went and
picked up
a luckstone from the bottom of the mines and blessed it.

Sokoban had a second bag of holding, not what I had been hoping for but
wasn't
a problem since it turned out an amulet I had found on the oracle level was
reflection.

The quest resulted in the loss of my pet (who had decided he wanted to be a
jaguar by this stage) when it stepped on a flame trap and then drowned. But
I left the quest levels with the artifacts, a wand of death and enough
tinned
giant meat to max my strength as soon as I was hungry enough to eat it.

After a run back to minetown for some protection I headed to the medusa
level
where I hoped to get a shield of reflection so I could exchange my amulet
for
a "oLS. No luck though, so the shield joined my wish list ready for the
castle.

Both Medusa and the castle went without a hitch. The castle armoury
yeilded a
pair of cursed -5 speed boots which I turned into something wearable with
help
of two magic markers I aquired somewhere along the way.

The wand of wishing was (0:1) this got me that shield I wanted, gauntlets
of
power, 2 blessed scrolls of genocide and a tshirt. With these and the help
of
my markers my AC reached about -35. By this stage I didn't really have
anything
else I desperately needed so I saved my lamp and the final wand charge for
an emergency.

Those genocide scrolls removed L and ; from the game. Mind flayers and
Master
mind flayers had already fallen to good luck with thrones.

Feeling hopeful but nervous I descended to the valley of the dead, this
was as
far as I had made it before. Last time I got here a master Lich ruined my
armour then killed me there was no chance of that this time.
I fought through to the altar where I bought some more protection I
decided to
spend a few more marker charges and brought my AC down to -45.

Then I took a deep breath and plunged down the stairs into an area I'd
never
been too before. From here to getting the amulet was pretty much how you'd
expect it to run. The demons and Vlad mostly went down fairly easily when I
chased them with Mojo although I used a wand of death on orcus to make sure
I'd have plenty of charges for Rodney.

After finding the vibrating square I used one of those charges to take
care of
Rodney for the first time and went down to the sanctum where he showed up
again
as soon as I started a fight with the high priest.
Shortly after this fight I did something very, very stupid. I run into a
couple
of disenchanters along the way and decided I needed to re-enchant Mojo. I
thought Mojo had been drained twice down from +7, but didn't check before
reading the scroll. I lost my favourite hammer to stupidity and put my most
promising ascension attempt at risk. Would the rest of the game have been
doable with just Excalibur? I didn't want to know, so I used those two
wishes
I'd been saving and manged to get frost brand on the second.
I enchanted it a bit but had run out of marker charges so couldn't get it
as
high as I'd have liked. More disenchanters brought it back down to +2 at
some
point (I'll seriously consider genociding them in future). Other than this
and Rodney showing up repeatedly the slog up to the planes was fairly
uneventful. I had prepared a couple of cursed ?oGold detection which helped
me find the portals on earth and air, I ran round fire till a monster
stepped
in the portal there. Water I stumbled around bubbles until I found the
portal.
On the astral plane I found myself swamped by bugs summoned so equipped a
ring of conflict. The altar I was after ended up being the third one I
checked.
Before finding this out I died once to pestilence. I eventually made it to
the
altar:

You offer the Amulet of Yendor to Tyr...--More--
An invisible choir sings, and you are bathed in radiance...--More--
The voice of Tyr rings out: "Congratulations, mortal!"--More--
"In return for thy service, I grant thee the gift of Immortality!"--More--
You ascend to the status of Demigoddess...--More--

That feels good.

Europa V the Warrior St:25 Dx:18 Co:18 In:13 Wi:16 Ch:17 Lawful
Astral Plane $:0 HP:232(245) Pw:42(42) AC:-46 Exp:17 T:70087

Weapons
Q - the blessed rustproof +2 Frost Brand (weapon in hand)
Armor
a - a blessed +5 shield of reflection (being worn)
b - a blessed rustproof +4 pair of gauntlets of power (being worn)
f - a blessed fireproof +4 T-shirt (being worn)
m - an uncursed rustproof +5 helmet (being worn)
n - a blessed fireproof +5 elven cloak (being worn)
o - an uncursed fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)
U - a blessed +5 gray dragon scale mail (being worn)
Comestibles
F - 2 uncursed K-rations
Rings
h - an uncursed ring of conflict (on left hand)
J - an uncursed ring of levitation (on right hand)
Wands
c - a wand of death (0:0)
g - a very rusty wand of teleportation (0:0)
x - a wand of digging (0:8)
y - a wand of digging (0:0)
I - a wand of digging (0:0)
Z - a wand of death (0:0)
Tools
d - a blessed bag of holding
l - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
q - an uncursed magic whistle
r - a cursed sack
s - an uncursed blindfold
t - the Bell of Opening (0:2)
u - the blessed Orb of Fate (0:5)
A - a cursed magic marker (1:0)
E - an uncursed rusty skeleton key
G - a blessed oil lamp

Contents of the bag of holding:

the blessed rustproof +1 Excalibur
a cursed amulet of magical breathing
1721 gold pieces
a rusty +0 pick-axe
a wand of death (0:0)
a cursed +0 cloak of displacement
a wand of polymorph (0:7)
a wand of fire (0:1)
10 uncursed C-rations
a wand of polymorph (0:5)
a magic marker (1:0)
3 uncursed wax candles
an uncursed amulet of life saving
a wand of cold (0:4)
3 potions of holy water
a wand of death (0:5)
an uncursed amulet of reflection
an uncursed tin of green dragon meat
an uncursed tin of silver dragon meat
an uncursed tin of tengu meat
a blessed luckstone
Plus a lot of other junk

Contents of the sack:
a potion of holy water

Vanquished creatures:

Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Orcus
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (8 times)
Death (twice)
Pestilence (5 times)
Famine (twice)
2 high priests
a mastodon
Medusa
Lord Surtur
Vlad the Impaler
12 newts

2818 creatures vanquished.

Genocided species:

mind flayers
master mind flayers
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches
jellyfish
piranhas
sharks
giant eels
electric eels
krakens

12 species genocided.

Voluntary challenges:

You genocided 12 types of monsters.
You never changed form.
You used 7 wishes.

Farvel Europa V the Demigoddess...

You went to your reward with 4119142 points,
Excalibur (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Orb of Fate (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
Frost Brand (worth 3000 zorkmids and 7500 points)
8 emeralds (worth 20000 zorkmids),
1 jade stone (worth 300 zorkmids),
1 amulet of life saving (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet versus poison (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of change (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of reflection (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of magical breathing (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 1721 pieces of gold, after 70087 moves.
You were level 17 with a maximum of 245 hit points when you ascended.

I learnt heaps along the way this time, hopefully this will help
bring about another ascension sometime soon.

Playing through the later part of this game (below the castle) I had this
feeling as if my character had no buisness being down that far. Because
despite being reasonably spoiled (skimming Maniac's Ascenscion Guide) I
was never really sure if the game was suddenly going to throw something
at me that I wouldn't be able to handle (like the Lich my previous best
character ran into in the valley of the dead).

But I made it through in the end.

Comments and advice for the future would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading.
-Kurt

Kurt Gaastra wrote:
> Feels damn good to be writing this post.

Feels good to say good job. :)

> An arch-Lich on the level below mine town. Polymorph trap I presume?

I too seem to get arch-liches from poly traps on the first level after
mine town a lot. Coincidence?

> Shortly after this fight I did something very, very stupid.
> I run into a couple of disenchanters along the way and decided
> I needed to re-enchant Mojo. I thought Mojo had been drained
> twice down from +7, but didn't check before reading the scroll.
> I lost my favourite hammer to stupidity and put my most promising
> ascension attempt at risk. Would the rest of the game have
> been doable with just Excalibur? I didn't want to know, so I
> used those two wishes I'd been saving and manged to get frost
> brand on the second.

Well, since you probably had already gotten to expert in long
swords, Frost Brand was a good choice. As a matter of personal
taste, I probably would have wished for Grayswandir, even if I
could only get basic skill. I wouldn't consider taking Excalibur
to the endgame unless I was playing a knight with some kind of
challenge (which sounds kind of fun).

Kurt Gaastra wrote:

> Feels damn good to be writing this post.
>

> I had prepared a couple of cursed ?oGold detection which
> helped me find the portals on earth and air, I ran round fire till a
> monster stepped
> in the portal there. Water I stumbled around bubbles until I found the
> portal.

> The Orb of Fate (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)

> Comments and advice for the future would be appreciated.
> Thanks for reading.
> -Kurt

Congratulations!

Suggestions for the future:
The Orb of Fate is a crystal ball. If your int is good enough, it can find
the portals on the planes for you. a)pply it and choose to search for ^. On
the other hand, this immobilises you for a number of turns, so it's often
faster and thus better to confuse yourself (potion of booze or forgotten
spell) and read a non-cursed ?oGD. Unlike just reading a cursed one, this
distinguishes traps from portals. I always bring 4u!oBooze and 4u?oGD for
the planes just for this purpose.

Sidsel

"Kurt Gaastra" <kgaastra@gmail.com> writes:

> On 22 Feb 2005 22:09:16 -0800, <s_p_lester@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> I too seem to get arch-liches from poly traps on the first level after
>> mine town a lot. Coincidence?

> It's kind of comforting to know I'm not the only person this happens to.
> Some people found doom3 to be a rather scary game (myself included),
> however nothing in that game even approached the terror of that big
> purple L.

Wait for the moment you meet the purple &...

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:28:34 +0100, Sidsel Horvei <sidsel@ii.uib.no> wrote:

> Congratulations!

Thanks.

> Suggestions for the future:
> The Orb of Fate is a crystal ball. If your int is good enough, it can
> find
> the portals on the planes for you. a)pply it and choose to search for ^.

I didn't know this, It could have saved me a bit of trouble.
If I get a Valk this far again I'll try it.

> On
> the other hand, this immobilises you for a number of turns, so it's often
> faster and thus better to confuse yourself (potion of booze or forgotten
> spell) and read a non-cursed ?oGD. Unlike just reading a cursed one, this
> distinguishes traps from portals. I always bring 4u!oBooze and 4u?oGD for
> the planes just for this purpose.

Does this make a difference on planes other than fire? There was only
one possibility to choose from on the two planes I used the scrolls. I
don't think I encountered any traps on the water plane either.

Thanks for the advice.
-Kurt

Kurt Gaastra wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:28:34 +0100, Sidsel Horvei <sidsel@ii.uib.no>
> wrote:

>> On
>> the other hand, this immobilises you for a number of turns, so it's often
>> faster and thus better to confuse yourself (potion of booze or forgotten
>> spell) and read a non-cursed ?oGD. Unlike just reading a cursed one, this
>> distinguishes traps from portals. I always bring 4u!oBooze and 4u?oGD for
>> the planes just for this purpose.
>
> Does this make a difference on planes other than fire? There was only
> one possibility to choose from on the two planes I used the scrolls. I
> don't think I encountered any traps on the water plane either.

No, it's just Fire that really benefits from this. But I find it often
easier to find means of confusing than means of cursing.

Also the portal stays visible on the screen when you come into line of
sight, unlike the fake gold which disappears, which is great for Water
where the portal moves around. Having that disappear on you and then
stumbling around trying to find it again, is something of a pain... ;)

Sidsel

On 22 Feb 2005 22:09:16 -0800, <s_p_lester@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Feels good to say good job.

Thanks a lot.

> I too seem to get arch-liches from poly traps on the first level after
> mine town a lot. Coincidence?

It's kind of comforting to know I'm not the only person this happens to.
Some people found doom3 to be a rather scary game (myself included),
however nothing in that game even approached the terror of that big
purple L.

> Well, since you probably had already gotten to expert in long
> swords, Frost Brand was a good choice. As a matter of personal
> taste, I probably would have wished for Grayswandir, even if I
> could only get basic skill. I wouldn't consider taking Excalibur
> to the endgame unless I was playing a knight with some kind of
> challenge (which sounds kind of fun).

I didn't really consider Grayswandir, since I don't always play Lawful.
I am in the habit of wanting frost brand because I don't have to worry
about alignments.

Thanks for the feedback.
-Kurt

Kurt Gaastra wrote:

> Feels damn good to be writing this post.

> Europa was the fifth Valkyrie in a row after playing random classes for
> a long time.

Congratulations!

> pair of cursed -5 speed boots which I turned into something wearable with
> help of two magic markers I aquired somewhere along the way.

If you own a /oCancellation zap the boots before you start
using your scrolls. It will restore them to +0 uncursed
speed boots.

> The demons and Vlad mostly went down fairly easily when I
> chased them with Mojo although I used a wand of death on orcus to make sure
> I'd have plenty of charges for Rodney.

You must misremember. Orcus can't be killed with a /oDeath.

> Shortly after this fight I did something very, very stupid. I run into a
> couple of disenchanters along the way and decided I needed to re-enchant
> Mojo. I thought Mojo had been drained twice down from +7
>
> More disenchanters brought (Excalibur) back down to
> +2 at some point (I'll seriously consider genociding them in future).

You might just try a bit more patience and Elbereth. Find a
pile of rocks, burn an Elbereth and kill 'em with the rocks.
Or bring along a stack of elven daggers, or learn magic
missile, or switch to Excalibur for those fights, or beat
'em to death bare handed or ......

> Europa V the Warrior St:25 Dx:18 Co:18 In:13 Wi:16 Ch:17 Lawful
> Astral Plane $:0 HP:232(245) Pw:42(42) AC:-46 Exp:17 T:70087

> n - a blessed fireproof +5 elven cloak (being worn)

You know this could be enchanted once more safely, not that
you needed it!

> Rings
> h - an uncursed ring of conflict (on left hand)
> J - an uncursed ring of levitation (on right hand)

You didn't have a =oFA or =oSD? Those will serve you better
than the =oLev once you arrive on Astral.

> Wands
> c - a wand of death (0:0)
> g - a very rusty wand of teleportation (0:0)
> x - a wand of digging (0:8)
> y - a wand of digging (0:0)
> I - a wand of digging (0:0)
> Z - a wand of death (0:0)

I always keep a /oFire in inventory for a couple of reasons!

> Pestilence (5 times)

Why so many encounters with Pestilence?

> But I made it through in the end.

Well done!
--
Wes
The early bird may get the worm,

Panu Lahtinen <pnuu@iki.fi> wrote:
>"Kurt Gaastra" <kgaastra@gmail.com> writes:
>> It's kind of comforting to know I'm not the only person this happens to.
>> Some people found doom3 to be a rather scary game (myself included),
>> however nothing in that game even approached the terror of that big
>> purple L.
>
>Wait for the moment you meet the purple &...

Most purple & are pitiful by the time you meet them. The lurid green &
(Juiblex) is mildly alarming, and two of the purple & are terrifying
(Pestilence and Demogorgon).

All of them are alarming if they turn up early.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:55:50 -0600, Wes Irby <w_irby@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Congratulations!

Thanks.

>> pair of cursed -5 speed boots which I turned into something wearable
>> with
>> help of two magic markers I aquired somewhere along the way.
>
> If you own a /oCancellation zap the boots before you start
> using your scrolls. It will restore them to +0 uncursed
> speed boots.

I didn't encounter a /oCancellation this whole game. One would have been
really handy for a few reasons.

>> The demons and Vlad mostly went down fairly easily when I
>> chased them with Mojo although I used a wand of death on orcus to make
>> sure
>> I'd have plenty of charges for Rodney.
>
> You must misremember. Orcus can't be killed with a /oDeath.

You're probably right. I'll have to remember this in future and save
myself some
charges. I definitely zapped the wand at him a couple of times, I must
have hit
him again after it keept missing or something.

>> Shortly after this fight I did something very, very stupid. I run into a
>> couple of disenchanters along the way and decided I needed to re-enchant
>> Mojo. I thought Mojo had been drained twice down from +7
>>
>> More disenchanters brought (Excalibur) back down to
>> +2 at some point (I'll seriously consider genociding them in future).
>
> You might just try a bit more patience and Elbereth. Find a
> pile of rocks, burn an Elbereth and kill 'em with the rocks.
> Or bring along a stack of elven daggers, or learn magic
> missile, or switch to Excalibur for those fights, or beat
> 'em to death bare handed or ......

It's one of those I'll "learn from it and do better next time" situations I
suppose.

>> Europa V the Warrior St:25 Dx:18 Co:18 In:13 Wi:16 Ch:17 Lawful
>> Astral Plane $:0 HP:232(245) Pw:42(42) AC:-46 Exp:17 T:70087
>
>> n - a blessed fireproof +5 elven cloak (being worn)
>
> You know this could be enchanted once more safely, not that
> you needed it!

Didn't know this either. I was quite happy with my AC though, so I
doubt I missed much.

>> Rings
>> h - an uncursed ring of conflict (on left hand)
>> J - an uncursed ring of levitation (on right hand)
>
> You didn't have a =oFA or =oSD? Those will serve you better
> than the =oLev once you arrive on Astral.

I wasn't in much trouble (except with pestilence) on the astral plane,
guess I could have switched the rings over but didn't really see a need.
Is there something I don't know of that these are very helpful against?

>> Wands
>> c - a wand of death (0:0)
>> g - a very rusty wand of teleportation (0:0)
>> x - a wand of digging (0:8)
>> y - a wand of digging (0:0)
>> I - a wand of digging (0:0)
>> Z - a wand of death (0:0)
>
> I always keep a /oFire in inventory for a couple of reasons!

I've just done a bit of reading, and learnt some of these reasons.
Good advice. Thanks!

>> Pestilence (5 times)
>
> Why so many encounters with Pestilence?

Partly that he kept popping back up, partly not really knowing what was
the deal was in the planes.

I glossed over what happened on the astral plane a bit partly laziness,
partly not wanting make my ascension post too long and mostly not
wanting to sound inept :)
But since you asked and you folks might get a chuckle out of the story
I'll tell it.

Pestilence was the first of the riders I went up against. I killed
him once on the way to the altar he was guarding. When I first saw
the altar he was guarding I did what I always do when I see an altar,
I hit the ';' key and moved the cursor to the altar to see what it's
alignment was.
I get told the altar is aligned. Huh? This was new. What does that
mean exactly? Is this altar aligned with me? does it have an
alignment that isn't important enough to mention? I was confused
so I decided to make my way to another altar to compare. On the
way I killed pestilence (again) and famine. When the second altar
gave the same response I walked up to it for a closer look. When
I stood on it things started making sense. That altar was neutral
so I had two more altars to check. By this time Pestilence had
popped up again and was waiting for me in the corridor so I killed
him a third time. The first altar I had visited turned out to be
chaotic. So back out on the way to the last altar I killed pestilence
again. While fighting my way up to this altar he regenerated and
attacked me from behind. After killing him again and taking care of
death. I made it to the altar and breathed a sigh of releif.

>> But I made it through in the end.
>
> Well done!
Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll try to make use of it in future,
hopefully it'll make getting my third ascension easier.
The second has just happened (an archeologist.) I might get round
to writing an ascension post soon.

Thanks again.
-Kurt

TRENDING THREADS