[SOLVED] Yellow LED on motherboard (z270e)

xyu

Jan 6, 2019
I’ve ordered a new heatsink fan, as my liquid cooling unit may have had failed pumps causing my cpu to heat up really fast on boot. I’ve since installed a cooler master hyper 212 evo and I’ve got problems booting the computer. I’ve properly removed and applied thermal paste prior to installing. After the first time installing, everything on the motherboard lit up and all of the fans were spinning, but the cpu LED was yellow and there was another light near it that was red. I have tried seemingly everything:

I’ve reset the CMOS by flipping and reseating it.
I’ve unplugged everything besides the the 24 pin power connector.
I’ve tried booting without the graphics card in it. I’ve tried booting WITH it in.
I’ve tried booting with only a single HDD in as well as multiple.
I’ve tried booting with the RAM in various slot configurations. (with and without the GPU)
I’ve tried booting with a single RAM stick in various slots. (with and without the GPU)
I’ve removed the cooler master, cleaned surfaces and reapplied the thermal paste.
I’ve checked to see if my cpu had any bent pins. It did not.

I don’t have parts that I can interchange and test. No extra memory sticks, GPUs, CPUs, motherboards: anything. Is there anything else I can do to try and solve this that doesn’t involve purchasing new parts or RMA’ing stuff (which I cannot do)?

Solution
Did you keep the CPU power cable in? You said you removed everything but the 24 pin? Make sure that it’s in. Also make sure no screws are between the mobo and case