Yet Another Floppy Drive Problem

After updating my PC from Win 98SE to XP Pro my A drive won't read a floppy
disc. I've tried inserting different ones that used to work under 98, but now
the XP comes back with a message that I need to insert a disc in drive A. I
check with the BIOS and check in the device manager and delete it. Reboot the
machine and the same thing exist. In fact I went all the way back to
reinstalling Win98 and the drive works fine there. Any clues on what XP Pro
is looking for? Any help much appreciate it.

Check the ribbon cables are securely attached at each end. I had a similar
problem a week or so ago and discovered the cable had been slightly
dislodged from the motherboard after I changed a SoundBlaster Live for an
Audigy2 ZS card. I felt like an idiot but I got my floppy drive back!
www.coribright.com

"rolo" <rolo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After updating my PC from Win 98SE to XP Pro my A drive won't read a
> floppy
> disc. I've tried inserting different ones that used to work under 98, but
> now
> the XP comes back with a message that I need to insert a disc in drive A.
> check with the BIOS and check in the device manager and delete it. Reboot
> the
> machine and the same thing exist. In fact I went all the way back to
> reinstalling Win98 and the drive works fine there. Any clues on what XP
> Pro
> is looking for? Any help much appreciate it.

Before the MS folks send you on a wild goose chase, do a google search
on 3-mode floppies and XP Pro. You'll see that tons of people are
having problems with floppy drives. It's a long outstanding issue
with no resolution for many of us.

On the plus side, floppy drives are very cheap. If I can find one
that's known to work under XP, I'm just going to buy it.