You Can Connect PlayStation 4 to Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
That's just part of it, Jimmy. Snap allows you to split your display. You could be playing an online game, and during downtime watch TV. You snap the game to the side still running (side by side with the TV feed), so if anything happens you can fullscreen the game again at a moment's notice.

Also, the integration with Cable/Satellite/Fiber TV boxes should be interesting.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
@bloob I believe I read an article recently about a demo shown behind closed doors at one of the conventions (PAX I think), apparently the Xbox One can handle 3 aps and 1 game at the same time with very little drop in gaming performance, so I doubt that a single ap will have much of an affect at all.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I seriously doubt this will happen. The MPAA will require draconian measures on the PS4 like HDCP to "protect" movies from being copied and then will force them to HDCP everything for our protection. While the Xbone won't have an HDCP decoder on the input because it'll be used by pirates to record movies and really won't be able to record anything. Meanwhile in the real world the rest of us will rip blu-rays on our PCs and the honest folk who want to record their gameplay can't.

Damn monopoly of a movie/music industry making it easy for pirates and hard for the rest of us.

pawnstorm

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
HDCP can be dictated by device or content. The PS4 will be HDCP compliant. Game content may or may not be HDCP protected, but playing HD movie content will make the PS4 output an HDCP protected signal, which you won't be able to record.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I am going to say the guy didn't know that Killzone is a Sony exclusive... just another chump wanting his paycheck and pretending he knows what hes talking about yet so completely off base it's amazing he has a job at all. It's 2013 not 1993

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

You know, the first (to my knowledge) laptop has come out with built-in motion control technology, and it is probably far from the last. This may well become a pretty big thing within a few years, or at least start in on a pretty serious upturn for motion controls. Granted, it may be the next 3DTV failure, but, it may also become a very desirable thing to have in a home entertainment center, PC, console. Obviously it's an added expense for people interested solely in non-motion console games, but so was Blu-Ray in the PS3 last gen, while now many of us who were down on it last gen look at it as a great long-term move.

Good motion controls would work well with a lot of touch operated devices and, as I know we are all aware of, most things are programmed to work with touch. This could well be groundwork for more accurate motion controls being a major interface option in the home and on the PC within a few years. Right now we're all down on the XBOX One for mandatory motion controls, but five years from now, we may be singing a very different tune... Again, that's exactly what happened with the PS3 and Blu-Ray. Is it so far fetched that the XBOX One is going to be another such case?.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
That is actually a really cool feature. Being able to split screen to TV is pretty awesome. I wonder how the audio setup will work. Either way I'm still probably not going to buy either console though.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Apparently Albert Panello has clarified on NeoGaf that while the PS4 can technically run over the Xbox One's HDMI-in port, it's not ideal due to HDMI's latency.

RobinPanties

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I don't disagree with you above stevejbt
but I will say, the one difference between the blu ray example you mention and the motion controls is that, at that time, the PS3 at $500 was the least expensive Blu-Ray player you could buy, so in effect, it was a bargain Blu Ray player with future software upgradability as well as the bonus of a gaming console.

Whereas, Kinect is really the only game in town in motion control so far, but I still agree that motion control is the future and people who don't embrace it will become the equivalent of people who refuse to buy smartphones.. although, with the cost of smartphone plans, I can understand why it might not be worth it to some of those oldies

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Robin, you're right. The PS3 was a good price for a Blu-Ray player... Actually, not the cheapest out there (some were as low as $300 on sale at the time of the PS3's release - trust me, I was looking for them) but it was the only actual good one you could get for that price. The thing is, Blu Ray movies were hardly prevalent at the time and far from the standard. Heck, there was still a lot of people thinking that HDVD would become the next standard and Blu Ray would go down the tube - so it may well have ended up being a totally useless addition to the PS3. Turns out it didn't, but again, that's why it's a similar gamble to the Kinect and the XBOX One.

The circumstances are different, true. Another important difference though is, there is not a single game that the PS3 could not have run using a DVD player instead of a Blu-Ray player, whereas at least with the Kinect, it actually has direct gaming applications. Heck, the PS3's Blu-ray drive's slow load speeds actually contributed to it requiring mandatory installs for some games early in the life cycle of the console. If you're interested in a console for gaming though, the Kinect might actually give you access to more games and more features in games. On the other hand, with the PS3 and Blu Ray, it was pretty much Sony saying "Ok, we want Blu Ray to succeed and we need some way to Trojan horse it into living rooms, so we'll unnecessarily force it onto people interested in Playstation and have them foot the bill for getting it to take off." It was a gamble, it was almost entirely at the customer's expense, it worked, and now we all pat Sony on the back and say "What a great idea!" even if we were in an uproar when it first came out. Five years from now we may be sitting there controlling our TVs with our index fingers saying "darn, I wish the PS4 had this in it" like many of us do with the XBOX 360 and Blu-Ray now.

Don't get me wrong, the extra $100 sucks for people who have *no interest* in it, but frankly, I haven't even upgraded my DVD collection yet, nor do I ever intend to.. And I still paid the Blu-ray fee in the PS3. Tough beans, I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.