You'd think a company like Intel...

mpjesse

Splendid
You'd think a company like Intel with all it's infinite wisdom and R&D budget could come up with something better than the Pentium 4. At first, I was willing to keep my mouth shut on the crappy performance the P4 delivered and let Intel <try> and fix it. But no.... months later we are still stuck with the lame performance overpriced P4. I've read benchmarks from 3 different websites comparing the P4 and Athlon 1.333- the only two frigin benchmarks the P4 can beat are the "WebContent" and "Memory Bandwidth". Wow. I'm impressed. How long has the Athlon had the same core? Quite a long time and it STILL beats out a P4. That's sad.

Now, let's all laugh at the crappy performance the Itanium will put out when it's released.

I live 1 mile from an Intel R&D plant in DuPont, WA. I see those dudes spend more time in starbucks then in their offices. I actually had the balls to walk up to a group of developers (in starbucks) and ask them "Why does the P4 suck so bad?" None of them could give me a straight answer. I then realized they were all wearing lame t-shirts with "Pentium 4" and "Itanium" logo's all over them. It then dawned on me that Intel cares more about marketing than performance.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Suck"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mpjesse on 03/24/01 04:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Polypheme
They got those shirts for free, and once they wash them there will be nothing left...

...seems everything is low quality :)

Nonetheless, I'm waiting for the next batch of P4

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>

G

i once saw lucy lawless in starbucks

lucy klawless is the chicmk tht plays xena on TV

SHE IS SDAMN HOT!!!

and shes tall

AMD. It gets you chicks.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yeah right, I was there and I told you to "get lost you haven't got what it takes to work for inhell", then you begged and told me that you've came so far to be near *ntel, so I gave you a shirt. :smile:

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

G

amdmeltdown, thats the gayest post iv eever seen

AMD. It gets you chicks.

G

"It then dawned on me that Intel cares more about marketing than performance."

yeap, to the lamer highest mhz means faster processor, intel know that 80% of the world think that and are cashing in.

G

yhes
lucy lawsless is sititll hot

AMD. It gets you chicks.

G

Jeri Ryan is hot

and somehow Martha Stewart appeals to me

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

G

who the gymnastic jesus is jeri ryaN??

and who the jumping jehosophat is martha stewart??
is martha stewart fo the brady bunch or soemnting??

AMD. It gets you chicks.

G

Dear mpjesse, I love how all you rookie PC enthusiasts can sit behind your computer, read some articles on the internet, find some forums, and then all of a sudden BANG! you know everything about PC's and chips. You knock the performance of the P4 based on what? A:I've actually ran one and it didn't perform to my standards? or B:I can't afford one so I'll knock it because some other websites knock it. Wow you've read benchmarks from three different websites and you're a chip anlyst huh? Well I tell ya what I work at the only development fab which is FAB20, and by Q3 when the Cu P4 is released, AMD chips will only be a tweaker's memory.

G

Ummmmm, NOT!! Wishful thinking, Benjamin. I suppose the P4 has been totally redesigned....NOT! I suppose you also know all about the architectural changes AMD has made in the Palomino cored Athlon, and the Thoroughbred, which the P4 will be competing against. Not to mention the Hammer chips which arrive sometime in the first half of 2002. I gaurantee you that Intel chips will be looking just as unattractive, and probably more so, at this time next year.

G

The P4 was supposed to kill that athlon but it didn't even come close to matching it. I'm sure AMD wasn't looking forward to the release of the P4 because that would mean they would have to kick out their next gen processor fast or loose ground but I'm sure they were releaved when it was released and sucked.

G

I agree, but then again, just about every company who is dominant loses their "touch" every now and then. Look at IBM. They had every chance to be a company with the combined might of microsoft and Intel. But they blew it. But by no means are they a company to be taken lightly. Look at 3dfx, they had every chance to blow every other video card maker out of the water....again, they lost it totally.

With a company the size of Intel, they aren't going to up and die like 3dfx did, but in many ways it's amazing how far they have fallen. I remember chatting in this forum a year ago arguing with the Intel fanatics that Intel was not bulletproof, and Intel could have a mighty fall from grace. They are falling as we chat. But by no means does that mean AMD should rest on its laurels. In fact, AMD had better not get lax, because the worst enemey to face is a sleeping giant. Just because he's asleep now doesn't mean he can't wake up.

I think you are right, in that Intel has lost its focus. They really tried to branch out too much. I tried warning the Intel fans that Intel stock was overvalued, and that once investors woke up and realized that Intel stock might actually go down, a lot of Intel's "spending money" went down the drain. I think investors are finally seeing that...especially if Ashok Kumar himself warned that Intel stock might dip into the teens. And despite what the Intel fans wanted to say that it was an overall tech malaise affecting the industry, they have forgotten that Intel will be hit worse by this than AMD.

In the end, Intel should be ashamed of it's performance. They really have not been a good competitor as of late to stoke the fires of innovation. The Pentium4 has some interesting features granted, but I think they sacrificed too much to make it truly effective.

G

Look guys it is like a yoyo. At the moment AMD has the lead. Let’s face it in all the benchmarks amd wins. But I’ve seen the road maps for the next few years and Intel is going to be on top after the release of the i845 chipset. That will reduce the cost of the P4 and bring it to more people. Intel is poised to reach 3GHz within a year. The athlon core just can't keep up with that. Now when hammer comes along the places will switch again. The race is still too close to call. Will amd win? Will Intel win? Who knows all I know is that I have an amd (because they were ahead when I bought it) and I love it. I am looking forward to the 64-bit chips I can't wait to program them, but until then given the chance I’ll buy Intel.

mpjesse

Splendid
Whatever man. Intel has gotten lazy and apathetic in the past year. They thought they could rule the world and let a little company called AMD (who once mad the WORST processor available) take a portion of their market share. Everyone knows that all intel cares about is Mhz and not design- the P4 is proof of that. I'm really disappointed with Intel. I've owned Intel CPU's from the 286 up to the P2 because they have always had the edge. Not any more... Oh well, I suppose it's no one's fault. In the end the best man will win and I believe it'll be AMD.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Suck"

G

it is possible for several companies to compete for the same market and both have a share with no one company winning. look at the car industy, everbody knows ford sucks but people still buy them. The P4 will be if it isn't now a better chip than the Athlon. simple as that

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Predictions are fun, but there's a catch in there.....
While it's outstanding that ntel is 'poised' to reach 3ghz within a year, that does not necessarily mean they will be able to manufacture more than 10 chips per week for the first 3 months. You not only have to reach the speed, but be able to manufacture enough chips to create a viable market for the chip. If you have to wait 21days to get a chip in stock, how much money would your distributors/customers be making using the competitor's chip which is slower but more available? While it's a much better market ploy to make a new chip incompatible (i.e. different socket) with old motherboards, that also means you won't be able to reuse most of the dies in the factory. Retooling 50% of a factory's dies takes a fairly decent amount of time.

It's a bit like buying a cutting-edge game from the local vendor, but not having a computer to play it for 30 days......

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Meltdown that's impossible they don't hire 13 year olds.

Jeez, these Intel Freaks are getting so low on supporters they need to <i>pretend</i> they have supporters to make them feel better!

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry bro. Reading benchmarks is much better than getting your info from Intel.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

G

don't get me wrong. i love my tbird and everything (esp. since its much cheaper than a p4), but doesn't the platform that the benchmarks are running on make a huge difference? i read something a while back where the design of the p4 is inherently much greater than what the benchmarks show but unfortunately at this time, there is no applications for the improvements that intel had made. i think the p4 might just be a stepping stone. sometimes intermediate steps need to be taken to make larger advancements. so what do you guys think? am i just an idiot for believing what i read or do i have a point?

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
the probllem is that they rushed the p4 to market,and to get it to market they took out much of things that proably make it ppreform better

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
no fear that amd would get a chip that had a hire mhz then them and the people that know nothing about stuff would go with them becuase the proccesser frequince was higher