Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

There you go then. I'm still not buying it though. :kaola:

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

You've put me off Windows 10......for life ;)

Well, I mostly like Windows 10.

I disagree with the previous poster about Windows 10 looking like '95, I think he doesn't actually know/remember what 95 looked like. But I'm not 100% keen on the minimalistic/no black icons and overall styling. One of the biggest issues with the latest version of Office is how hard it is to differentiate the buttons and tabs.

I'm not a big fan of the start menu, as it makes finding things that I know the location of things that I know where they're located sort of difficult, but makes finding things I don't know the location of easier.

I also dislike the way settings/control panel are getting meshed/split apart/hidden, they're making it take more work for the people who know how computers work to use them.

I'm probably still gonna use ClassicShell to bring back a proper but updated Windows 7 start menu, and in reality, MS should let us choose/customize it to shutup most of the ranters about how bad Windows 8/10 is.

I like the idea of what Cortana represents, I think she just needs to get better and be able to do more things, and seem a little more realistic, like a REAL Personal Digital Assistant. Maybe like, have personalized Cortana accounts that can be used across devices (I'd get a Windows phone with Cortana if she also knew my PC and stuff, have her take dictation, even set up appointments with other people for you, like be able to hold "that level" of a conversation.) and can learn about you, ect.

I haven't done anything really serious with my Windows 10 system yet though, but I still look forward to upgrading my Windows 8 ones when it comes out. I just hope upgrading a system won't completely **** everything up.

I know what you mean James about the settings being scattered. The control panel should be the one and only settings software, but then there is the Metro settings app also. Just like how there is both Win 7 image viewer and metro image viewer. I also wish they made a new Paint, the new Paint was one of my favorite things every new version but they gave up on improving it.

USAFRet

Titan

Mainly, I see people hating on Win 10 for the same reasons they hated on Win 8/8.1.
"It's different than XP or Windows 7!!"

And there is a LOT of misinformed opinions about the 'free upgrade'. Part of this is MS's fault for not being specific, but soooo much misinformation floating around...
"UEFI/Secureboot is required!" (no, it isn't)
"After a year, you'll have to pay to keep it running" (no, you won't)
I see this here and in other Forums.

I've been running it since Day 1 on an old secondary laptop. Dualboot between 7 & 10.
Toshiba L305, 2GBRAM, 2.2Ghz Celeron. Runs no better or worse than 7 or 8.

Bottom line: I like it. Mostly, even better than 8.1, which I like a LOT.

I wish paint would just support transparency already.

Paint.net is my favorite paint alternative.

Another thing MS needs to do is just an overall Decluttering of Windows. Like just organize the file system so it's not so stupid.
Opening the start menu should give me a select few options like, Apps/Programs, Documents, Media, Games, Settings/Controls. and underneath them are basically everything. I suppose documents and media should actually open the folder system though. And not have so many damn sub categories, like settings should basically be all of control panel except the admin tools, those can still be in a subfolder.
Give us options to sort the apps/docs/media/games by Alphabetical, Install Date and last Use, so things we use often can be kept at top and new things can be found easily as well.

Windows has done this in the past, but it always felt more clunky then going places manually.

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

Nope, I just want to know what flaws it has when released. Once it's been patched to death maybe then I'll consider it.

USAFRet

Titan

Well...obviously we can't know that until it is actually released.
Small features have been changed/added/removed month by month.

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

I'll keep an eye on what other user & news says after a few months of it's release.
As for Windows 8....I really liked the Metro theme......On my Windows phone.

USAFRet

Titan

And on my big Win 8.1 desktop, I rarely see the Metro interface.
That is a 10 second fix, directly built into Win 8.1. Completely due to user complaints.

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

Tried it but it didn't suit me so I stayed away. The same goes for Windows server 2012 interface.

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

Yep I know. (Shame you broke up the party)

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

I would have been happy with Win 8 had MS provided a free touch screen to go with the theme ;)

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Well I have 4 computers to upgrade.

o...kay...?

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Well you have time for Windows Server 2012 R2. Server 2012 is a bit different since the administration tools are in what is the Start Screen in Win 8.1 and the apps are stored on Desktop. I worked with 2012 R2 for the first time and I like it.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Which I will do the first day Windows 10 is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.