Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

We actually ditched it for Linux :D

GreenLionNet

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
I have just watched the preview of Windows 10 and just got amazed with kind of services they are providing. Just waiting for the update regarding it launch and eager to use it

What I really want from Windows 10 are some new built-in programs and newer features. I do not just want a GUI change you know. I run Windows 10 myself but do not see how it differs enough from Windows 7 and 8. For instance, I want a new version of MS Paint, maybe Microsoft could make a free more-powerful-than-movie-maker video editor that comes free with Windows. Or maybe Microsoft should implement built in screen recording. I think there are a lot of new and updates to software that Microsot should have but have not yet done since Windows 7.

The problem is Microsoft gets in trouble when they give you free software that COULD be paid for from another company. Like I know they got in trouble for Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player because at the time internet browsers and media players were paid applications.

USAFRet

Titan

Paint got updated with Win 8.
New browser, Spartan
Cortana
Virtual desktops

WebBeachBoy

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
We are on build 10041 of the Windows 10 Technical Preview at the moment. I cannot say that in looks it is much different to Windows 8/8.1 as I am using Classic Shell with Win 8.1 that gives me the full functionality of the start menu and booting to the desktop - which I think is essential.

In their rush to make the computer into a mobile phone Microsoft have forgotten that a computer is a computer !

My experience with running apps is rather 'hiccupy' and surprisingly, doing simple tasks can bring it to it's knees. Copying and pasting to an external disk drive always results in a system freeze that can only be fixed with a hard reboot. Cntl+Alt+Delete DOES bring up the page to select Task Manager etc but it is 'frozen' so that no item can be selected and only the Esc key works (but Task Manager can be accessed via the Control Panel).

At the moment the OS doesn't seem to offer anything new other than to give Microsoft a 'new model' to sell - rather like a car manufacturer.

Microsoft is proposing to offer Windows 10 as a free "upgrade" to everyone running Windows 8/8.1 so we will have to have it whether we want it or not so that Microsoft will be able to sell us more and more useless "Apps" that we do not need or want whilst blocking our favorite "Programs" from running. On the good side I have just managed to 'tweak' Adobe Pagemaker 7 to run smoothly on Windows 8.1 so the Microsoft system CAN be beat !

As for the efficiency of the OS Microsoft's maxim of "why use 1000 lines of code when you can use 100,000 ?" is in full swing here (presumably to herald in the arrival of a whole new era of Petabyte technology !).

sfcampbell

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009

Care to elaborate on exactly what "services they are providing" and what makes them different or better than competitors?

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Microsoft got into trouble building to much stuff into Windows (monoplies). Plus I've found that it's best to use the 3rd party product.s. These 3rd party companies concentrate on making their specific product better then their competition plus they may only have that one product. Even MS most powerful application are done out side the OS (example Office). I like to use VLC or GOM as video player and Itunes to catalog my music just because they just have to build the product and don't hane to integrate it into the OS. It just has to run in the OS.

Maxwell Soller Jr

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015
hi... i haven't had the time to back read...

i just want to know if i will try to install windows 10 tech rev or coming win10. is my mobo and other driver compatible with windows 10? i've checked asus on B75M-A drivers and there is not option on win10 drivers. so im really hesitant to try the tech review.

@ Maxwell, create a separate partition with some free HDD space and install the tech preview to that, if it doesn't work you can just swap back to your other OS when you restart the computer.
Basically, as long you're windows 8 compatible you're windows 10 compatible, the tech preview still has lots of bugs, and some things like Anti-virus software won't install.

jayef69

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

jayef69

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Love the new upgrade. Only problem I am having is that when I open up my Explorer internet I get a message then it restarts. The message says something to the effect of another program is conflicting with your browser then it goes back to the desktop. When I use the Spartan internet I don't get that message. Screen kind of fuzzy not as sharp as it was. Anybody else getting that problem?

Jaye

Jaye Fayed

Pivotto

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
I just installed the preview of 10074 onto my Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 11s late last night/this morning and shortly after updated to 10122. So far, it has been treating me really well. I've noticed some sluggishness here and there, but I'm not sure if it's just the older hardware I'm working with (Core i5 3339Y, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD) or not. Looking forward to seeing the new icons updated with the next preview and hopefully more stability fixes.

Yeah I know, but it's not the same. On those public and school XP computers they always had it where you could not install 3rd party apps without administrator privileges.

Because it was too much work to port it over.
http://www.softpedia.com/blog/Download-Windows-XP-s-Pinball-Game-for-Windows-7-and-Windows-8-316380.shtml

The card games don't even come in windows 8 anymore, they're a separate free download. They likely took them out partly for the exact reason you wanted them, to play them on public/school computers.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

That's asking for trouble if their IT doesn't lock users from installing stuff. If they allow people to install anything they want there must get Malware invested every 1/2 hour.

grumpigeek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Windows 10 has the same font rendering problems as 8.1.

Both 10 and 8.1 allow other applications to override the font rendering specified by operating system.
For example, both IE 11 and Office 2013/2016 use a horrible grayscale font rendering API that results in shockingly blurry fonts on screen.

Despite many threads on answers.microsoft.com about this, not once has Microsoft even acknowledged the problem, let alone fix it.
This attitude of denial really has resulted in a great many really p**sed off Windows users, some of whom have already abandoned Windows for Linux.

All Microsoft's stuffing around with the user interface in Win 8 and 10 counts for nothing if zero effort is made to meet the basic fundamental user expectation of clear text on screen.

At this rate, it looks like I will use Windows 7 for a while longer and then ditch Microsoft for Linux and Libre Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.