Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadevil

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
As this is more a discussion I am going to shoot my fears in here. Do not worry, its Win 10 related :)

Currently I have fresh(ish - 6 months) install of Windows 7 64 bit on my rig. The specifics are :

FX 4300, R380 2GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM (4x4 DualChannel), classic SATA 3 HDD (yes, no SSD... yet)

I have some minor issues with AMD Crimson drivers (well... we are in open war, but I have the upper hand :) ), but otherwise its superbly fine (for the hw used).

The rig is for mid-end playing and for the titles I play works like charm. That narrows my question - should I upgrade to Win 10? Can I expect some benefits from the new OS? I mean yes, newer DirectX, but... I really use DX 11 titles so far, and I am not confident that my rig would keep the pace with new DX games on max settings (only there it would matter)...

Or would it improve my AMD drivers experience?

Because this rig is a gaming platform. I am not impressed by better look, better search and windows store. I do not care about that. What I care is best environment for my games. For Steam, for GoG Galaxy, Battle.net app and Origin app... I actualy do not care about improving the OS bootup neither (but any improvement wont hurt on the other hand). I do not care about MS Office stuff neither, nor any cloud solution... For work I have Linux laptop which suits me better... for work :)

So.. My question should I, with the rig I have, move to Win 10 and earn something valuable for me in the process? Or should I stick to proven and working OS, as the upgrade would bring me nothing or even some headaches? Complete fresh reinstall of W10 after upgrade would not be welcomed, but it is possible for me for sure :)

Thanks for hints...

You'll need that DirectX 12 soon !!!

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
You should be fine, I had no headaches with upgrading my AMD-based desktop (custom-build, see signature), & very few/nil problems with the Crimson drivers.

If anything, I had more problems with my Intel-based laptop upgrading, but that was actually due to HP -- I hesitate to call it "bloatware", as it was actual HP software involved, but it turned out to be unnecessary software that wasn't compatible with Windows 10, but was a pain to uninstall so that the upgrade could proceed. Even there, I've had almost zero problems since the upgrade.

Shadevil

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

Well, I do not think so personaly. Nice DX titles would be beyond the strength of my rig. So in that time, when I ll upgrade CPU, GPU and get SSD - then I will get Windows 10 (it is not so expensive, even though "for free" sounds much nicer). That is why I excluded it. And from my long experience in gaming, those titles will run on DX 11 aswell, just not being so shiny, but possibly giving me few more fps (not a reason to not have DX 12 OS, though)...

But thanks for answer, I ll dig more about DX 12 and titles being on it...

Shadevil

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

Thanks for feedback. I am glad to see the update should be flawless, though the main question is - is it worthy? What do I get "more" than I already have?

Thanks

Shadevil

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

Well, my MBD would be against that anyway (no more PCI-E 16), Also I would allways rather get single better GPU than two worse (for same money) so this is irrelevant for me, but as I said, I ll dig more about this DX 12 - it seems to me as only benefit I would get (or?)...

Thanks anyway for pointing that out, who knows - this aint last PC I will have, and next one can be built around 2-GPUs :)

I can speak only for myself. I got better reliability than in W7, never a BSOD since first beta versions. Better handling of multi core performance and bunch of old HW like printers and scanners working. I'm not big time gamer though.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Also, just the fact that a) you don't have to pay for the OS upgrade if you do it before 7/29, b) DirectX 12 support (which you won't have in Windows 7), & c) an extended period to continue getting patches & updates from Microsoft.

Very soon‚ old OSs will not be able to keep up with new HW and neither will makers of HW support older OS, it's just in their interest to sell newer stuff. There's already many new laptops and ready made brand name computers without support for W7.
We might as well get used to 10, there's nothing else coming up to substitute it.

Shadevil

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

All three reason are why am I splited. I love my Win 7, I have it only for 6 months (I was stuck with XP until then) - but I do remember the last years at Win XP...

I dont like the look of the 10s (but thats a thing to get used to), and I am slightly afraid of the Windows Store, Cloud and so on (for a gaming machine). I sniff a MS is going into war with Valve, but I may be wrong :) (I predict it for years, and still nothing)

Also, if a need of complete flesh reinstall would occur after the upgrade, I would be pissed beyond believe ( hundreds of gigabites to re-download).

But if you would tell me, my rig would perform better under W10 - then I dont ask anymore and I'd upgrade in a second...

You still have time to make a full system disk backup and try to upgrade to 10. Using Macrium Reflect for instance. You could be back on W7 in 15 minutes if you don't like it. An added benefit would be to reserve free W10 for that MB and install it again even after Jul 29th deadline. No use throwing couple hundred bucks away.

Shadevil

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

Well, I understand that very well, but I do not plan to change my HW soon, and it is supported by Win 7 - you hit the core point of my question, does the Win 10 bring me anything on my CURRENT HW? I am aware of the fact that upon major HW upgrade I would need to get the newer (but maby even newer than W10 by then) OS.

But yet, with my above mentioned rig - is it worthy to move to W10, when I like W7? Will I get better performance from same HW? It would be a shame to pass on that, but otherwise I do not see a real reason for moving up. Yet - I am not sure, that is why I am asking...

Thanks for reply though!

/ I am also slowly realising my W7 defending position in this debate, which may be affecting my decisions, thus I am glad for every reason for moving up to W10 all of you throw at me, as it will help me to make objective decision/

For sure, if you feel comfortable with W7 stick with it. I have it in dual boot with 10. I have run some benchmarks (same ones with same drivers) and 10 has only slight advantage. At least in my case, Dx11 was somewhat faster in W7.
There's nothing wrong with W7 except that I have better success with 10. I have been into computers since before PC and W10 is what I liked most except maybe for TOS on Atari 1040 ST.

Colif

Win 11 Master
- Faster boot times on win 10 to win 7, especially on HDD. That is down to its hybred shutdown more than anything but it is noticeable,
- Win 10 is always going to be faster to reinstall/update to latest version compared to what win 7 is now.
Max updates needed after fresh install is currently 3 from windows update, not 312 like win 7 currently is - yes, backups and so on can make win 7 easier to install but I am talking fresh install
- Win 10 easier to fix if troubles start, Win 7 really could have used http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html
Really, all the stuff in advanced start up adds about 6 reasons to get win 10... not that all of them are new. They existed in win 8 but as I never had it, they were new to me.
- Win 10 supports NVME drives as well as USB 3, two things Win 7 has no idea about at install time without playing with installer files. Some new motherboards make it hard to even install win 7 onto them, without even wandering into driver support territory.

We have nothing to gain by whichever choice you make, we just don't want people missing out on a free upgrade that is going to stop being a choice in a few days.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Don't worry about the "cloud", you have to actually choose to use it (i.e. the settings aren't enabled to use it by default).

As for the "store", it's no different than the Google or Apple Stores: unless you provide bank account/credit card information, you won't be charged for something, but you can still download free apps.

Shadevil

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

Thanks... Well my first experience was with blue screen of Norton Commander (I think it was 386 laptop on unknown brand), followed by every Windows released (not necesarily on my own PC all of them though)... From all that, the true love of my heart (speaking of MS products) is and allways will be Windows 98. I have a plan to build/purchase old PC and run Win 98 on it. I planned Raspberry Pi B+ for that, but recently I was informed it would bring only tears into my eyes :)

So it seems I will remain on W7 after all, but I have still few days to make my mind... Or if gaming industry would accept Linux as a gaming platform... that would be perfect, but I am afraid that wont evet happen. Even the programming dumbo like me (I ever coded anything nor learned any language) can appreciate the ability of Linux to open the hood and mess inside.

Thanks

powerwin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Benchmarks confirmed that Win10 had better gaming performance over Win7 with the same hardware. Though it was tough to make the switch from 7 because of all the telemetry spying, but there are tools out there to disable most of it and configure away all the metro BS.
Windows is probably just going to get worse as time goes on, but for now Win10 is okay. I do like the Windows Key + X hotkey. Having driver issues that I didn't have on 7 though.

Shadevil

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

Well thanks for this, I really do not like the idea of using third party SW to make my OS "pleasant". On the other hand for better gaming performance, I am willing to accept a lot of unpleasant things :)

I will look into possible W10 performance gain and decide by this.

On the other hand i will give you some reason to hate in the same time windows 10, constantly resetting your default apps for exemple for pdf files, constantly nagging notification center, now i see that if you use chrome or firefox they keep nagging you to use edge. I have a dual boot win 8.1 pro and win 10, i prefer 8.1 anytime of the day, fast boot, lighweight and fast os, no need for dx 12 due to vulkan and mantle, what i can see now the new trend and i m glad it is this way it is vulkan.
For me on my notebook (asus x55a with an ssd and 1TB hdd) windows 10 has a very veyr very slow boot, since i pres power buton till i get to desktop is about 2 minutes and i tried everything to speed up, searched on forum nothing, on windows 8.1 in 17 second i m on desktop, windows 10 installs automatically drivers for devices even if i disable this feature it is still doing this, in my case making impossible to install vendor drivers for some printers and some functions are not usable. Good part about windows 10, has a very easy troubleshooting, updates are installed very fast and the update manager is very lightweight compared with windows 7 and 8.

There are some pitfalls using Insider version. Many custom settings are not retained after updates but also some good things. Bugs are squashed before official version and also new features introduced.
Anybody concerned about privacy can turn everything off and can also run with local account.

stefan2105

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
I like how thorough everyone's reviews are, I gotta say - thanks for that! It made me understand better a thing or two, and as far as my experience goes, I have to say, Windows 10 is amazing only if you're running a fast PC/laptop. True, it might not be as complete as Windows 7, but it's pretty good.

mikeebb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
Have now upgraded all 4 computers in regular use in the house. Upgrade went without hassles in the 3 laptops (ASUS of various ages) and all 3 are working well, though one (the oldest - Gen 1 i5 about 6 years old) needed a "reset" about 2 months ago due to a botched install (not Windows itself).

Desktop (Core2Extreme 9650 in a Gigabyte mb; latest BIOS installed but it's from 2009) however didn't work the first time around, roughly in February 2016. Seemed to work, but had massive latency issues that wrecked the sound subsystem; since I use the machine for occasional sound editing that was unacceptable so I rolled back to the Win7 image I prepared before upgrading. Works great in Win7. Then I got a SSD and decided to give Win10 another whirl this week. Since the qualifying Win7 Pro is an upgrade, I had to go back and install XP (giving it the Win98 disk to prove etc.), then SP3, then Win7 Pro, then SP1, then activate (all worked fine), then Win10 from USB as clean install. Apparently they remembered me from the previous Win10, so it all activated fine. I *did* install many drivers from the manufacturers' web sites rather than relying on Win10 to get the right ones. Then getting everything else reinstalled. Took about 2 days total. But it now seems to work well, and latency is much improved. Not sure if the latency improvement is due to the "clean" install of everything, but it works.

Not sure about "Anniversary Edition" update, though. From reports it sounds like a downgrade for Pro - many settings now available will be gone. Have set it to delay update until I decide to go ahead or return to 7 (pulled another image before doing it this time, again). If I do return to 7, it'll be forever, at least until I can move to Linux (Mint MATE is very nice in a VM for testing).

jdlech

Honorable
May 31, 2016

Which brain damages W10 back to a functionality hardly any better than W7.
And how long do you expect MS to keep that option open for you? They gave the OS away "for free" with the expectation of gathering that data on you and selling it, of getting paid to serve ads to your PC, of making money off the analytics of all that data you were supposed to send to them, of being able to funnel you to their app store for more purchases.
If they can't do that, then they can't make their money off you. How long do you expect them to tolerate that? Eliminating any or all of those "options" is just one little update away.
The noose is already tightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.