Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Specifically, what "spying" do you presume Microsoft is doing on you?
While I'm sure MS uses this data for improving Windows, the fact MS won't let you disable telemetry easily and didn't allow you to see what exact data they were grabbing until 3 years into W10s existence is very suspicious.

According to this:

With the settings Microsoft selects by default, Microsoft can get memory dumps, what files you search for, and your browsing history.
I would guess most unknowledgeable users leave these preselected options enabled and don't even realize MS is collecting this data.

Even with telemetry disabled as far as easily Microsoft allows, Microsoft still collects what programs you run on your PC.

I get it, there are many other companies collecting your data, but Microsoft should make it optional.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
"unknowledgeable users " will stand in the middle of the grocery store, on their phone, reading out their credit card num (incl CCV), name, address...

And other companies will give your data away, continuously.
Experian, CapitalOne, Yahoo, OPM, VA...
You have zero control over that. None.

I'm just saying...this 'telemetry' with MS is both trivial and turnoffable.

Every version of Windows I've used since 3.1 have given me problems. I skipped Vista and 8/8.1 but the PC I use at this time of the English morning is a seventeen year old Eee netbook with an Atom CPU and 2GB RAM and it gives me least problems.

Could it be because it runs Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa?

Anyone who wants to stop giving Microsoft money and personal information has alternatives.

kerangovender

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
Even though some of us removed what we don't need in windows 10 everyone can't be expected to know how to remove unwanted apps and Microsoft should make data collection optional and the fact that they push apps and games to our PC's is not right as it uses slot of bandwidth and data for those who have very limited internet access.

And automatic downloading of new builds may cause some people to pay extra for exceeding their data limit.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Even though some of us removed what we don't need in windows 10 everyone can't be expected to know how to remove unwanted apps and Microsoft should make data collection optional and the fact that they push apps and games to our PC's is not right as it uses slot of bandwidth and data for those who have very limited internet access.

And automatic downloading of new builds may cause some people to pay extra for exceeding their data limit.

Those apps, the three that come pre-loaded, are nothing in size. Probably a few hundred megabytes, not a ton.

And you can defer updates for up to a year.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
My opinion/findings of 10 -

It's faster.
Quicker to install and update.
Works super fast with USB.
Been pretty damn reliable and issue free for me.
The crappy junk can be switched off or got rid of mostly.

Stuff i don't like -

The recovery stuff is all junk. If it goes into recovery mode you may as well just recover the user data and rebuild it. It's just quicker.

We could just do with one major upgrade a year.

Needs better QA testing or any QA testing.

Other thoughts -

Be nice to have bootable from switch on Safe Mode back, would be better than all those useless recovery functions.

Be nice to have a 'clean install' option.

If they take Local accounts away I'll do my nut.

Let's just say to cap it all, if I use a Windows 7 machine (I do IT support) I hate it now. It feels like using Xp to me now. So slow and old fashioned. Plug in a USB stick and have to wait...what's that all about??!!

Last edited:

kerangovender

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
While I'm sure MS uses this data for improving Windows, the fact MS won't let you disable telemetry easily and didn't allow you to see what exact data they were grabbing until 3 years into W10s existence is very suspicious.

According to this:

With the settings Microsoft selects by default, Microsoft can get memory dumps, what files you search for, and your browsing history.
I would guess most unknowledgeable users leave these preselected options enabled and don't even realize MS is collecting this data.

Even with telemetry disabled as far as easily Microsoft allows, Microsoft still collects what programs you run on your PC.

I get it, there are many other companies collecting your data, but Microsoft should make it optional.

Not all this data can be helpful in fixing bugs because maybe a bug it could be caused by something that was not included in the crash dump that was sent to Microsoft.

My opinion/findings of 10 -

It's faster.
Quicker to install and update.
Works super fast with USB.
Been pretty damn reliable and issue free for me.
The crappy junk can be switched off or got rid of mostly.

Stuff i don't like -

The recovery stuff is all junk. If it goes into recovery mode you may as well just recover the user data and rebuild it. It's just quicker.

We could just do with one major upgrade a year.

Needs better QA testing or any QA testing.

Other thoughts -

Be nice to have bootable from switch on Safe Mode back, would be better than all those useless recovery functions.

Be nice to have a 'clean install' option.

If they take Local accounts away I'll do my nut.

Let's just say to cap it all, if I use a Windows 7 machine (I do IT support) I hate it now. It feels like using Xp to me now. So slow and old fashioned. Plug in a USB stick and have to wait...what's that all about??!!

It depends on how many programs are running in the background and how fast your machine actually is. If you have tons of downloaded programs running in the background they can be consuming ram and using the CPU.

I'm using the home key this laptop came with. My main PC runs w10 pro and a local account.

Its a shame just how bad W10 runs on that laptop. It cannot even run any YouTube smoothly above 480p, even after debloating windows (which made the laptop far more usable). With a very very stripped down linux distro 1080p YouTube is smooth.

All disabled. Windows just doesn't cope with low end hardware, even if this hardware is not old at all (manufactured in mid 2017)

I don't get why. Its not ram either, as i havent seen it go over 70% just with youtube open in opera.

I just would like to see Microsoft make a lightweight version of Windows. I like linux, but its not ideal for gaming or running windows software.

kerangovender

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
Well, i just installed windows 10 fresh on my laptop. Not possible to use a local account. No menu or anything.

I had to physically remove the wifi adapter and restart the setup to setup a local account.
Even i have to unplug my ethernet cable during setup otherwise it will download updates and unwanted programs. i only plug it back in once its setup and debloated.

what are the specs of your laptop?

Quite pathetic, but it was free and is silent.

Celeron n3060 dual core which runs at 100% usage and 2.6ghz full turbo most of the time.

2gb ram. With a debloated Windows copy this is actually not as bad as i expected. 70% usage when running opera with youtube.

32gb emmc.

Right now its connected to my 1080p monitor, which may not be great for the weak igpu.

Quite pathetic, but it was free and is silent.

Celeron n3060 dual core which runs at 100% usage and 2.6ghz full turbo most of the time.

2gb ram. With a debloated Windows copy this is actually not as bad as i expected. 70% usage when running opera with youtube.

32gb emmc.

Right now its connected to my 1080p monitor, which may not be great for the weak igpu.

To be fair 2GB is a very small amount for Windows. Even Windows 7 would have issues with 2GB. Might seem better. My experience was that with XP you wanted 1GB minimum, Vista was 2GB and 7 was always 4GB minimum preferably 8GB. 10 is still similar to 7 fro what I have seen.

However you also have the iGPU plling some RAM which lowers your usable amount making t even harder for Windows. On the iGPU, its a HD 400. Per the specs it can do 2160p @ 30Hz or 1600p @ 60Hz. 1080p should be nothing for it TBH. However with your low RAM amount the iGPU might struggle a bit since Windows will be utilizing most of it.

I bet if you jumped to 4GB in that thing it would act quite a bit better for most everything.

kerangovender

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
The partition that windows 10 is installed in randomly gets corrupted. The rest of the hdd works flawlessly. This is my second hdd. On my first hdd I have Windows 7 and using chkdsk mostly fixes the problem. The worst that has happened was blue screens and windows 10 failing to recover itself. It not even boot at all, getting stuck on loading screen...

0Markz0

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
My thoughts about upgrading into latest build 1903 which works atm. really well.
After upgrading from version 1803.
Took me almost 2 days to find what was the real issue with video stuttering, mouse lag, etc. (that micro stutter people talk about) and with the latest updates/drivers.
First i tested every registry/service trick i could find and installed 1903 like 3 times with all the drivers and couple updates, but then i decided to dig deeper into resources and i found out that Storport.sys created severe DPC latency which caused System Interrupts to halt audio/video etc. so now my options were either CPU settings or something wrong with the drivers or maybe a bad RAM.
Anyway this time i took the easy way and looked through Device Manager/View/Devices by connection + Show hidden devices and there it was right in front of me SATA/AHCI drivers. :oops:
For some odd reason i had 2 SATA controllers installed into same SATA ports :LOL: after updating them from MS own controller, because 2 ports were Asmedia ports that i didn't use at all and others were Intel ones.
One controller with all the drives and one without any so i just uninstalled the empty one and that stopped the whole issue.
If you think that you have same type of issue check it with LatencyMon , but don't go removing wrong controller or you might end up into recovery mode or worse at least create a restore point.
There that's all i had to say about my upgrade/slowdown issue with 1903 and i almost had enough, but it's fixed now. Thanks.

Last edited:
I worked on an installation of Windows 10 S yesterday and they've made it even harder to avoid having a Microsoft account. It's also difficult to install Firefox and make it default instead of Edge.

The MS grip is tightened.

Endre

Reputable
Hey there friends!

With everyone trying out Windows 10, we wanted to get your input on what works, what doesn't, and what your overall thoughts and experiences with the new OS has been. We'll be putting together some guides and how-to's on getting going on Windows 10, and your feedback and story on Windows 10 so far will be helpful in knowing where and what we need to cover.

Reply here to share your experience so far with Windows 10, and help Tom's Hardware discover some of the pain points for early adopters.

-JP

Windows 10, for me, is by far the best Microsoft OS ever!
Of course, there are a few bugs here and there. Sometimes I had to do tweaks in the registry editor to unlock certain features, or to get rid of certain errors.
But overall it’s a good Microsoft product! ❤️

Endre

Reputable
using it as main operating system. everything i need works, games, adobe programs, cinema 4d. I just love it. The problem i have is that when i turn it off I get an error while the screen is gray and says "shutting down", i just have to press enter

I’m not sure, but that might be because Fast boot is enabled.

Had xp , then vista that was the worse op sys ever , it had so many tables and logs that if you looked at them you could convince yourself you had a problem , got 7 which was actually vista with all the rubbish removed.

Put free 10 on a 7 pc to get a feel for it before I had a custom built games rig with 10 on it.

10 updates alter things behind the scenes without telling you , example , the sound settings layout got altered and I did not know this until I bought a new headset.

My main gripe is that regardless of weather a new op sys is good or bad I am forced into having it because either Microsoft stop support for what I am using at the time or it gets to the point where new pc's only come with the latest op sys and that's exactly whats happened with 10

Status
Not open for further replies.