Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 75 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 5, 2020
My experience has been great so far with Windows 10. Initially, I was not liking it because of its auto-updating feature but later I figured out how to disable it. And there was this one time when I couldn't defrag my drive and I thought it was windows 10 fault so I decided to switch back to windows 8 but I realized it is a common issue and many people face it.
So yeah I think it is a pretty decent OS.

Endre

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
Update

It STILL SUCKS!!

But then what are you gonna do? Buy a mac!!!! Hahahaha

That's worse.

It is what it is....
I, personally, postpone the updates for the maximum period possible, so it doesn’t bug me updating Windows except once a month. 😄

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020
I'm using it on PC, and I think it's wonderful. it's easy-to-navigate, builds a great experience, and has a modern UI.
preview is a little bit slow, which will be fine in the final version. and it has some basic problems like clicks not working, but again, will be solved.
the new browser is awesome. it's modern, pretty, works nicely when downloading files, and has two shiny features I personally loved:
  • annotation: you can annotate your web pages easily and quickly. and then share it with your team, let's say.
  • distraction-free reading mode: just deletes all unnecessary things and you can read in relax.
it also has an ability to save pages offline to read later, but I haven't checked it yet.
Cortana, well, it's cool. I have practiced a little with it, and she understands my words reasonably well. and some times I asked her simple questions, she answered properly. but when I asked her to go to hell because she couldn't understand my language(spanish)
notification center seems nice too. but in the preview it's buggy, so I couldn't use it in fact.
In general, i think Microsoft has done something which should have be done years ago: PAY ATTENTION TO THE FEELINGS. people buy products giving them a professional, modern, good feeling; and in my POV, Microsoft has done a great job in this with windows 10.
These are my personal views on Windows 10
I hope this is informative.

Reactions: Dean0919

PDN

Prominent
Apr 17, 2019
Windows 10 is a good OS. I don't think removing the control panel will be an advancement unless they change something else to help find features.
Defender has definitely improved nd caught 2 trojans on my machine.
I wish they id not join up with MBAM but I just run MBAM as stand alone anyway.
I wish Office would keep OCR for all its suites.
Windows Mail could really stand some attention as it has no security and is barebones.
I give Windows 2004 a B on a scale from A as tops to F being a flunk.
I have an Apple phone and it spoils me. If I had the cash, I would drift to an iPad.
But, for now it is doing a pretty solid job.

Sep 5, 2020
The initial free version of windows 10 way back a few years ago was disgusting, now I got used to it and it's fine. I still feel windows 7 was most user-friendly than windows 10

Sep 5, 2020
After traveling all the way from 3.1 to windows 10 over the years... 10 is the best I've used to date. I was a bit hesitant to take the leap from 7 especially after trying 8 (epic fail) but I'm glad I did. It's very stable, well optimized, good for gaming and has plenty of features. It don't hang or lag or require a reboot after throwing resource hungry apps at it. The only downside is the few times it's restarted to install updates when I was in the middle of something! For that it gets 8/10 from me.

Dean0919

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
After traveling all the way from 3.1 to windows 10 over the years... 10 is the best I've used to date. I was a bit hesitant to take the leap from 7 especially after trying 8 (epic fail) but I'm glad I did. It's very stable, well optimized, good for gaming and has plenty of features. It don't hang or lag or require a reboot after throwing resource hungry apps at it. The only downside is the few times it's restarted to install updates when I was in the middle of something! For that it gets 8/10 from me.
Weird, it should't. Mine whenever is installing updates and is done, doesn't restart. You also have an option to pick the time when you want it to reboot your PC or just do what you're doing and when it's shut down time, choose "install updates and shutdown". Additionally, if you go in settings and updates you have an option there "restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required to install an update. Windows will display a notice before the restart, and the device must be on and plugged in". This option is turned off by default if I'm not mistaken, well, at least in my PC. And also you can pause updates. So, I think Microsoft gave us a plenty options in Windows 10 to avoid forceful restarts due to updates like it was in previous Windows versions.

Reactions: King_V
Sep 5, 2020
Weird, it should't. Mine whenever is installing updates and is done, doesn't restart. You also have an option to pick the time when you want it to reboot your PC or just do what you're doing and when it's shut down time, choose "install updates and shutdown". Additionally, if you go in settings and updates you have an option there "restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required to install an update. Windows will display a notice before the restart, and the device must be on and plugged in". This option is turned off by default if I'm not mistaken, well, at least in my PC. And also you can pause updates. So, I think Microsoft gave us a plenty options in Windows 10 to avoid forceful restarts due to updates like it was in previous Windows versions.
It's only done it a few times. To be honest it did keep requesting a restart, sometimes for a couple of days and I kept choosing remind me in a few hours, then remind me tomorrow, and eventually it just restarted automatically. I will check the settings.

Thanks.

Dec 10, 2019
I've used windows since windows 1.0. Windows 10 isn't all that bad, except for the data collection. The interface was better with windows 7. It does a whole lot more than the early windows and the various alternatives at the time. I still have a lot of nostalgia over the early days of personal computing.

Dean0919

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
It's only done it a few times. To be honest it did keep requesting a restart, sometimes for a couple of days and I kept choosing remind me in a few hours, then remind me tomorrow, and eventually it just restarted automatically. I will check the settings.

Thanks.
Maybe you have an old version/build of Windows 10, because I have a latest build and there are plenty of options and it never restarted automatically. It even has an option "change active hours" and if you go there, you'll see that it gives you an option to enable automatically adjust active hours which means, Windows won't automatically restart the device during that time. Check those two articles: Manage updates in Windows 10 & Set the Windows 10 update schedule, and when it restarts the PC.

You're welcome.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020
Maybe you have an old version/build of Windows 10, because I have a latest build and there are plenty of options and it never restarted automatically. It even has an option "change active hours" and if you go there, you'll see that it gives you an option to enable automatically adjust active hours which means, Windows won't automatically restart the device during that time. Check those two articles: Manage updates in Windows 10 & Set the Windows 10 update schedule, and when it restarts the PC.

You're welcome.
Yea it was an older build that was installed quite some time ago. I have a new pc now with the latest build downloaded directly from Microsoft so I'll see what happens. I'll have a look at the settings when I'm home.

Thanks again.

Mikeybooks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I like Windows 10 pretty well. Two observations.
  1. "My Computer" really is "This Computer." It belongs to Microsoft... not to me. They change my preferred programs for music, photos, PDF, browsing and I have to keep changing them back.
  2. Settings are all over the place instead of a well organized menu. The fact that you can search for what you need is generally a great work around

ASK THE COMMUNITY