Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archgaull

Admirable
This is my desktop lol, super clean.

MK0Q87Z.png

My recommendation would have been to use the Display driver uninstaller FIRST, then install the new drivers. Probably would have avoided the mess. BTW, did you try booting win10 in safe mode to deal with the driver issue?

RIOUXGRANDE

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

I should have done my research first...and no I have not.is there a way to now that I cannot access anything but bios?

Power on and press F8 or whatever your system requires to access the advance boot menu, repeatedly until the boot menu appears. There should be an option there for safe mode, safe mode with networking, repair, reset, etc.

http://www.howtogeek.com/126016/three-ways-to-access-the-windows-8-boot-options-menu/

If that won't work, then you'll need to do a clean install, but should NOT need to reinstall Windows 8.1 since you already successfully did the upgrade.

Windows 10 ISO: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Utility to burn to USB or DVD installation media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

How to clean install Windows 10: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

If your previous windows recovery partition was your only means of installing the older OS, make sure to not delete THAT partition during the install process so that hopefully you'll have access to it later in the event it's needed if you want to go back to it or change motherboards.

jediTT

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I still haven't been able to get my network sharing working. It connects to my network just fine but when I try to browse a shared folder on another pc it either asks me for a user/pass or just tells me can't access \\COMPUTER NAME contact admin. I've googled around and all the little fixes other people have mentioned so far haven't worked.

You should enable Advanced sharing first.

You should also give folders you are sharing security permissions for your user name instead of the users or administrators group. Since Vista, this tends to work best. This has to be done on both the security tab and the sharing tab.

Now when you are asked for a login/pass, you should be able to use the login for the computer you are connecting to.

If you already have advanced sharing on, try this example.

Right click the folder you are sharing and select Properties
Select the Security tab. 1
Check the list to ensure your user login is listed.
If not
Select Edit... 2
Hit Add... 3
Type your name in the Enter the object name to select followed by Check Names 4 and 5
You should see your pc-name\login name. Hit OK. 6
On the next screen set your permissions(many use full control). 7
Hit OK 8

245f3nt.jpg

vsmnfn.jpg

Now head on over to the Sharing Tab 1
Select Advanced Sharing... 2
Check Share this folder 3
Set your name or leave it as the folder name 4
No need for a comment.
Select Permissions 5
Leaving or removing Everybody is up to you.
Select Add... 6
Type your name in the Enter the object name to select followed by Check Names 7 and 8
You should see your pc-name\login name. Hit OK. 9
Give your self the permissions you want(Full control for many users). 10
Hit OK 11
The folder should show shared. 12
Hit Close 13
2yyee1h.jpg

2e151t4.jpg
33bd83o.jpg

Enrique Rodriguez

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

Came across same issues and some more. One that pisses me off the most would be icon placement will not always stay or move where I want it (only because its such a small annoying problem). Among other things it feel like things could had been better organized when trying to change settings. Windows 8.1 to time learning all the locations for settings now we have to start over once more.

If you right click the desktop, select View and and unselect the checkmark next to auto arrange and Arrange icons to grid, it should solve your icon movement dilemma. Also, if you use a free utility like Classic Shell or a paid one like Start is back, you can customize the start menu and desktop behavior however you like, including Windows XP and 7 style behavior.

Enrique Rodriguez

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

That was the first thing I check. My desktop is about 65% full and all is scattered around the majority stays in place unless upon rebooting it loads pretty crazy with all my icon on the top half of the screen. My recycle bin used to be on the bottom right corner which above are all my game shortcuts and Its forced to be right under them. I can not have any shortcut alone. Its weird because I have 5 groups of apps on my desktop.

jstabl

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
It's great if all you do is game,social media and surf the net! But for work and its integration with office 2013 its the worst so far. I dont want sync or one drive forced down my throat and these feature slow the process of saving and save as in office down to a snails pace while it searches online first. My computers are local only and I will decide what I want uploaded. Even with the registry hacks and save locally settings it still takes 10 times longer to save office files locally.

khuzaim

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Its been a day or two since i installed,
I am an IT professional.
I found the following new changes from wind 8 to win10

Mostly unused stuff appearing on right hand side is gone;
Start Menu is compressed.

Browser:
Was happy to see advancement in Microsoft Edge browser, removal on IE was advantage, sadly for those corporates whose software run only on IE6-7.
Microsft edge supports mozilla asdm.js to imporve performance, but you need to maunally enable it.
This browser has added point of making web note, on any page you can click on the pen icon on topr right and you can make your own web notes or highlight any test.

Photo section:
If you use the windows photo viewer you will more feaatures that will help beginners to play with their images and make them more lively and colorful on a beginner level bases, which is impressive.

The logon screen, changes based on your likes and dislikes, but this is currently a future aspect.

Virtual multiple desktops.
Win10 has added multiple dekstop feature, similar to linux systems to give you more flexible desktop environment ot work on.

System option or control panels has more added features and more flexiblility compraed to windows 8.

Personally i didnt like the Win key + E, this give you a window which will show you all the recent files that you have accessed, along with its location, some users might not like this option.

You have an added LOCATION feature that monitors your current location, possibly through ISP location, since there is no GPS in the laptop.

The color of your START enivronment and icons changes according to the WALLPAPER.

My biggest question right now,
I have original windows on my laptop, but for those who have cracked windows, will they automatically get the updates or they need to go the other way.

jk122

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

i had the nvidia resolution issue too i rebooted and magicly it worked normally although nvidia experience is wonky and wont work the card so far is fine i have the 660 card

jk122

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

i use fences from stardock to "control" my desktop gaming shortcuts or any shortcuts really for me it works fine to keep them under control and orderly

USAFRet

Titan
Amongst all the Nvidia driver issues, has anyone seen similar with AMD graphics drivers?
I'm upgrading my main PC in a few days (R9 280X) and just seeing if anyone has had any issues.

You can change it in Folder options
dg598m.jpg

Auto color is cool, but I wish they kept the Windows 8 style titlebar colors(those could follow wallpapers too.).

I've seen a couple. But, unlike the Nvidia issues, it mostly seems like on AMD drivers if you already have the latest ones installed prior to the upgrade it does resolve into an issue. I'm sure it will make a liar out of me in YOUR case, but mostly it's been an Nvidia issue from what I'm seeing except on those systems that had the older catalyst drivers still.

And, if you're going to clean install, I think it's moot anyhow since Win10 installs the catalyst drivers that were current at the time of the release, which seem to work well enough to then run DDU followed by a clean install of the more recent catalyst package. I only use the drivers though. I don't install any of the gaming evolved or CCC utility functions.

USAFRet

Titan

I have the second most recent CCC...15.7. There is a 15.7.1 available.
Going to try the typical Upgrade (after 1,800 other prep steps), and if it fails, back up and regroup.
Clean install of 10.
If THAT fails, regroup to pristine 8.1 and do it all over again.

My AMD laptop had issues with the basic Microsoft adapter driver and the 15.7 driver, but did not have any issues once I removed the 15.7 drivers with the DDU and installed the 15.7.1 drivers. It worked with the other drivers, but there were some weird issues with the resolution and a few little glitches.

RunLuke

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Search has become useless.
Example in windows 8.1 I would cmd+s and type "light" and Lightroom would pop up at the first hit.
Now a the folder containing the program pops up, I have to type "adobe" (then all adobe programs pop up) and then "l", may not be a big issue, but search in general is a lot worse.

Enrique Rodriguez

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

I am not sure if I am correct, but I believe I tried something of the sort but it cost a few dollars. My down side was it was just something else to hog system resources.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Finally got the "go" for all the rest of my computers I'm upgrading for free.

The first is a HP Elitebook Pro, 17" 1080p, i7, 16GB, 120 SSD OS drive, 500 GB 2nd drive, Nvidia Quatro GPU 2GB - was Win 7 Ultimate but upgraded to Win 10 Pro. Absolutely zero issues. All programs work, all shortcuts still there (besides the programs it removed - IE, Win7 media stuff), shared drives still there, can still remote into it from my main desktop with zero issues.

Next was a Winbook 8" that came with Win 8.1 w/Bing 32GB (w/ 64GB microSD). Zero issues - all programs I checked still work, kept all my settings. I haven't checked everything 100% (all drivers got installed), but there wasn't any issues while doing the normal stuff - Outlook, Firefox (had to remake default but that's expected after a Windows update), Yahoo messenger, some gaming programs.

Next is my home server (Win 7 Pro) - it's not a power house i5 w/ 4GB RAM, but lots of HD space - 1 TB, 2x 3TB, 2x 2 TB drives. It took longer than the others, but that again is expected with the slower processor and a lot less RAM. I have lots of shared folders on this, and zero issues, all the shares were there with the correct security. Also can still remote into it with no changes (beside the certificate update acceptance, again which is normal when there is an update).

My last one that I'm updating for now is a small Acer ES1-111M - a nice little 11" notebook with no moving parts (microSSD, no optical drive). Doesn't have a touch screen, but it's great for the lazyboy while watching TV. It came with Win 8.1, 32GB drive 4GB RAM, Celeron dual core. This one ran into the "not enough space" while downloading - so I am going to have to get a larger SD card (only have an 8GB in now with stuff on it), so it can finish the upgrade. But besides the space issue, there isn't any other issues - I will update when I find a larger SD card so the install can "use" it for the upgrade.

But over all my upgrade experience was very smooth and only 1 major issue - main laptop (not the one in this post) the upgrade kept installing the wrong AMD driver (was in the INTERNAL_POWER loop issue) but that was fixed by downloading and installing the updated driver from AMD directly. Been working great since.

Enrique Rodriguez

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
I understand only so many had the ability to download 10 and the rest have to "wait". I feel like it was meant for the first few that jumped on it to do what we are doing before it hit main population harder. First wave sort of.

randomizer

Champion

IE is still there, it just isn't the default browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.