Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

I have a Norton Internet Security (5-pack) and it worked fine on all my computer after the upgrade - yes it also had to update itself, but still working fine.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

USAFRET; thanks for your rpely I will go back to that lap top and try to uninstall that program again, and let you know if the the link appears.
simonchipmunk

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Well I have Norton 360 and when I first reserved Windows 10. The compatibility part of the Windows 10 reserve said Norton 360 won't work then I got a message from Norton that a fix was in the work then it wen away from the Windows 10 reserve check.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

I have saved the e-mail message that symantic sent me re. the compatibility of Norton antivirus programs with windows 10.
the Norton 360 was updated ,several days before Microsoft released the Windows 10. Two of my pcs were upgraded, 2 more are waiting for the upgrade.i got the same message you got too after I was upgraded on the desktop. I selected the 'don't Tell me about it again9or something to that effect). I haven't had any problems with norton360 on my desktop. I had to have it re-installed on the laptop, and it works fine now.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

JoshKbosh

Reputable
BANNED
May 28, 2015
Hello everyone,

I've been using Windows 10 for a few days now and I must say I really like what I see. I really like Cortona, although be sure to disable a few settings (such as the voice activated option, which leaves your microphone on) just to be safe.

I use a Surface Pro 2, and so far I've had no major issues. Only two minor issues have occured though:
- I had to remove and reinstall Kaspersky Internet Security, as it was stuck in Safe mode
- I often get BSOD when gaming (Specifically, EVE Online) and an error message idgkms64.sys

I am posting a topic asking for help about the BSOD, since it happens every time at random intervals. I've done other games (and I've played EVE before Windows 10) without any issues whatsoever, so that may just be a personal issue.

So far, no incompatibilities in anything I have installed, so I'm not complaining. I even got to keep Bitlocker, which is a really nice feature.

EDIT:
I must say, the new windows sounds are also really nice. Not as harsh as the old ones. Even the volume sound is pleasing and non-offensive, which is a first for Windows.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

i am sorry I don't know anything about your BOD.
I was able to keep drop box on my laptop after the upgrade.i have disabled it though as it runs in the background and puts a drain on my battery.

USAFRet

Titan

Updates - You can turn OFF automatic driver updates.
Control Panel
System and Security
System
Advanced System Settings
Hardware tab
Device Installation Settings
"No, let me choose what to do"

Explorer - Change that
Open File Explorer
View
Options
Change folder and search options
General tab
"Open File Explorer to: "...change this to 'This PC' instead of the default 'Quick Access'
Close File Explorer and reopen it

Seriously the quick access thing is annoying because there are some *cough*things*cough* I don't necessarily want anyone to see I accessed last night.

USAFRet

Titan

That's what a Linux VM is for.

You can also turn that off.

I use my quick access the same as favorites on Windows 7/8/8.1

Open explorer hit View - > Options and clear the check marks from Show recently used files in Quick access and Show frequent used folders in Quick access.

MassEffectIT

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
For me, it feels like a good, solid improvement on Windows 7.
In some ways, MS are repairing the Win8 damage (Start Menu), but a lot of stuff is pretty nice.
And, surprisingly, Cortana is actually useful!

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
both my 8.1 and 10 systems have the Mount and the Burn option in context menus by default. maybe it's just Pro versions?

USAFRet

Titan

I found it depends on the status of the drive.
If the drive is open, no option like that exists
If there is a blank DVD in the drive, that option exists.

If you mean tray open that would be interesting since I am using a slow load drive.

Most likely just a config difference or the fact that I had left a disc in at one point or another. I had no disc in when I took the screenshot on 10, but was watching a DVD on the other Windows 7 system.

Either way it is all good. it works with disc in.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
strange, because i have no CD\DVD drives but context menu is still there for multiple disc image types.

MS is toying with us to see who goes crazy first.

Its me!!!

Also has anyone noticed the new firefox Windows 10 theme. Not a fan.

Edge looks much better in this case. FF's colors are just too close for active/inactive tabs.
The white box around the min/max-restore/max buttons is also not nice to see.
aowe9i.jpg

USAFRet

Titan

This is 8.1 Pro and 10, both FireFox 40.0
Under the blue Teamviewer border is 10.
YQPxgA2.jpg

Maybe it is a function of your Accent colors and settings?

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
just ran the newest Firefox update and got an accented bar like Frets.
Egde though, with it's light theme shows only bright white like Explorer. had to change it to dark theme.

tried posting img link here but shows up as blank spot on post??? correct url typed in full, tried it multiple x.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

I am a bit confused, if we don't know when the updates are being downloaded , how canwe make these decisions re. the driver updates?

USAFRet

Titan

Turn off the driver updates. You choose when to go get them, direct from the manufacturer.
And for hardware drivers, there is far less need to upgrade those vs security updates for the OS.

For instance, the only time in the last 3 years that I upgraded my GPU driver is last month when I got a new GPU.
Unless you see an actual issue that a new driver version will actually fix, there is no need to change it.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
oops, I should have read your post slower,USAFRET. I am so sorry. What options do we have if we choose 'no let me choose what to do?
I am wandering around Windows 10 like a lost soul, checking out everything. The 'lets Get going" video helps, by the way.
I have learned that if you want to Run something, you press the windows key and the letter r which brings up the Run box.
what do you type in the search box for Device Manager like we had in Windows 7.0 and earlier versions of Windows?

USAFRet

Titan

"no let me choose what to do" means exactly that. You, the human, get to choose when or if. Me? I'll upgrade hardware drivers only in case of need, and when I want to.

Looking for the device manager?
in the search box, or click on the search icon...and start typing devic...by then, Device Manager will be at the top, and you click it to open.
Or the starting letters of whatever application or function you want.

Worked just like this in Win 8.1, except you hit WIN + S first to open the search function. Start typing the first letters of the application or function...poof, there i is.

sbnrXBM.jpg

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

USAFRET; thank you for your advice. Now I understand the reasoning. I think I have had to download drivers from the manufacturer at least a dozen times since 1997, mostly for used printers I have been given to use with my pcs, motherboards and components I have bought to build computers for others.
if I have to download a driver for a graphics or soundcard,i check with my guru in NM who guides me through the process,via a webcam.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

Thanks much. I have made a note of it in my "how to" notebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.