Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny you mentioned the RAMdrive, because I've been using one for several years, having 4GB of my 16GB allocated as a RAMdrive for the browsers cache, photoshop scratch disks and windows temp folder, but it seemed slower than in Windows 8.1 so I removed the Ramdrive and browser page loading seems much faster now, well, not just seems, it IS faster now. Photoshop isn't lagging as much either. I've always used one in the past because it DID speed those processes up but with Windows 10 I don't know what my RAMdrive issue was, only that there was one.

I had even tried removing it and reinstalling the latest DataRAM Ramdisk version, but it didn't change anything. I have the unlimited size RAMdisk version.

SSD's with fast access times have this effect. Over a hard drive it was a nice boost.

Ramdrives also have higher cpu overhead(most likely due to the speed it self) so it could be that too.

I have not personally notices any negative side effects, but it is just for small things. It may reduce SSD writes, but it takes YEARS to rack those up unless you have APC software with its default write logs every 20 min :).

Well, even with the same SSD, in Windows 8.1, there was a discernible difference in performance with the RAMdisk, especially when working with large animations or many, many layers in photoshop. After the change to 10 it just didn't seem to still work faster. Seems good WITHOUT it in 10 though, so the tradeoff is probably to the good.

Larry_3

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

I installed Win 10 and Win 7 (both clean), in a dual boot (2 drives). Win 7 boots in 26 seconds, Win 10 in 6 sec.

M5A97 R2.0
FX-8350
32Gb Mushkin 1600Mhz (9-9-9-26) Mem
2 Intel 120 Gb SSD's, 3Tb WD Caviar Green

That comparison is not valid, as the simple fact of the dual boot configuration invalidates any boot duration due to differences from the boot manager and one boot partition being the primary installation. It's just not as simple as comparing in that way. If you had two clean installations with exactly the same hardware, and no installed applications, it might be valid, but even so the minute you start installing applications or windows updates it all goes out the window.

It seems that running two versions of Windows on multiple drives would result in a boot manager being attached to the Windows 10 drive. I guess Windows 10 would boot faster on its own. I would not be able to verify this from my end, though, as I already have installed both my Windows OS's onto my hard drives. My slave drive boots old Windows 8.1 noticeably faster, though.

Larry_3

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
@ Darkbreeze:
I beg to differ with you, as there two separate drives, same hardware and I don't use a boot manager. I switch from the bios. It's as clean as it gets. The times are from that point to boot completion. Thank you.

Larry_3

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

Also, Win 8, 8.1 and 10 can make use of UEFI on any board made from 2010 on and can boot much faster, and Win 7 does not, can not. Clear consensus on any forum I've been on shows this to be true with others as well. Maybe your still having problems with your ramdrive? Also, my Win 7 drive is bare except for Skyrim, Nexus Mod Manager, WinRar and updates. Win 10 is my main use drive. Installed 7 & 10 both on the day Win 10 was released. It's really not even close for me.

Ryan House

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
Windows 10 on my HP laptop which came with vista upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 without any major problems. My wireless adapter is constantly needing to be trouble shooted so that the wireless adapter gets reset which is the only way to make it so I can access my wifi. windows 7 didn't have this problem

My desktop is a totaly different story. even though the windows 10 app said my PC was good to go. it took me 25 tries to upgrade to windows 10 there would be an error at different points of the install which then would cause previous OS to be restored. when it finally installed I had problems with Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems I had one update automatically try and install itself 45 times it just kept failing. My integrated Sound Card isn't working properly I can only get stereo sound out front two speakers. even though I am selecting quadraphonic in the speaker settings.

I've had windows 98, XP, Vista, 7 and now 10 and this is the first time windows has gave me such a hard time installing its important updates. I am really considering going back to windows 7.

ASUS P5KPL-AM EPU
Core 2 Quad Q8400
4GB RAM
Geforce 9800 GT

That was the same with 8 as well though, 8 took over the boot selection.

If you have fast startup, Windows 8/8.1/10 will all boot faster than 7 from a shutdown. How are restarts in comparison?

I have Windows 7 and 10 each on a different SSD(the same model bought at the same time).

My 7 and 10 boot at nearly the same speed(Event viewer).

10 feels a bit faster, but by default takes longer to get startup apps loaded(I try to keep the exact same programs on startup on both sides as well.).

Larry_3

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

I don't typically call members out in a thread, intentionally, but since you seem to think I was apparently directing my comments negatively towards you and have responded in a less than cordial manner, I'm going to. Clearly, you have no idea what in the world you are talking about.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186875-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

Windows 7 is fully capable of booting to UEFI. It cannot, however, utilize Secure Boot or the Fast Boot feature that is in 8 and up but that is a hybrid sleep feature and is not the same as a cold boot.

I will say that 8/10 boot a bit faster than 7 but that is due to the way that it handles the UEFI boot process vs 7. Overall the difference is not insane, as some people are claiming.

johnnyjohnb224

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
i think windows 10 is better than windows 8 cause windows 8 screwed people up and even though the start up is slow and game performance is slow i still like it with it design and easy to use feature still contracts viruses and everything though that could be an improvement

Larry_3

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

It still does not use "fast boot", a hybrid boot feature something like hibernation, for the system files (so they don't have to be called one by one again). Also, turning off "secure boot" is a band-aid at best. Using an OS that does not natively support secure boot, will leave you open to a root kit. Just one more reason to upgrade. I have trouble finding comparisons on boot time between 7 & 10, since it has not been around too long, but since Win 8 and Win 10 have very close boot systems, and the differences are usually in 10's favor, I put something below to give an idea. I don't have time to do heavy research for a reply to the "Clearly, you have no idea what in the world you are talking about." comment, which, for a mod was poor form in a "YOUR Experience with Windows 10" thread (and YOUR is stressed for a reason).

----------------------------------------------------Windows 7 Ult (64-bit) vs Windows 8(64bit, fast boot, and sec.boot cap.)
Startup(seconds, lower is better)........................................38-------17
Shutdown(seconds, lower is better) ................................12.2-------9.9
500MB File Group Move(seconds, lower is better) ............25.2-------29.2
Large Single File Move(seconds, lower is better)...............46.4------46.8
Video Rendering(minutes:seconds, smaller is better)........1:22------1:11
Geekbench 2.3 64-bit tests(higher is better) ....................8090------8187
Geekbench 2.3 32-bit tests(higher is better) ....................5962------6122
PCMark 7(higher is better).................................................2313------2701
Sunspider(ms, lower is better)...........................................180-------144
Google V8 (v.7)(higher is better)........................................3079------6180
Psychedelic Browsing(higher is better) .............................3997------5292

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406668,00.asp

Another comparison, this time between Win 8 and Win 10 : http://now.avg.com/windows-8-vs-windows-10/

Keep in mind these are slim pickings, and if your trying to inform people and not protect your perceived "honor" thinking I'm trying to fight with you, then you can do your own benchmarks or bring some other data here. The general thinking here is that it depends on different hardware configurations, setup choices and whether or not the software is optimized or out of the box. In closing, I will repeat one more time that this is MY experience with Windows 10, not yours. If you want to try and negate a positive experience with it, then you are missing the point entirely. Your entitled to yours as I am to mine. And mine is that it performs better.

Thank you.

No one is saying that 8/10 don't perform better. But the boot times are a bit one sided. Secure Boot doesn't change boot times but Fast Boot does which is what my point was. From a cold boot, 7 and 8/10 are very similar except in a UEFI environment where 8/10 do benefit as they have a bit different boot process that benefits them slightly. But if you do a cold boot they will both take the same time to boot.

I personally don;t use Fast Boot because, well I think 20 seconds is plenty fast to boot from a dead system to desktop.

I personally get teed off when I have to use Adguard, which is the only ad blocker which works on Windows 10 at the moment, and it causes compatibility issues with sensitive websites. I was trying to order a custom PSU modular cable kit from some website and kept getting error messages. I booted to Windows 8.1 and had no problems placing the order. I should have known better to disable Adguard before switching operating systems to complete the order, but whatever. At least I learned from this.

AdBlockPlus works fine for me on Chrome and FF.

I typically use the TPL lists in IE. I have been using Edge but only on mostly ad free sites and THG so I haven't had an issue. However on my HTPC there was one site that had a ad that was compromised and locked Edge up. Went to the same site in IE and the TPL lists blocked it.

SO for my HTPC I use Edge for Netflix (works better than IE) and IE for everything else until they ad the TPL or a half decent ad blocker comes out for Edge.

I was referring to what you actually said, which was that Windows 7 does not and can not use UEFI configurations, which it of course can. Pretty sure it can use both fast and super fast boot bios settings too since that really has less to do with the OS than it does the bios itself. If you're referring to the Windows 10 fast boot, then of course it can't, as Windows 7 isn't Windows 10. Anyhow, as mentioned, it really doesn't matter anyhow. What's ten seconds extra on a boot time when most people waste hours after the system boots doing nothing of importance anyhow. I don't think an extra few seconds added to an hours long session is going to be a major problem for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS