Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I can say that I get a smoother more consistent FPS in Batman AK and GTA 5 seems about the same, maybe a bit smoother in harder hitting areas.

silhouett

Reputable
May 16, 2015
I find windows 10 look and feel better the windows 8.1 It also does seem faster. I upgraded and there was a point at 92% which lasted hours.
Over all it works well.

Windows 10 sucks. But so does Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista (REALLY sucks), XP, ME, 98, 95,...............................................Linux, Unix, DOS, heh.

Ok, they don't really suck, but they do make me nutty sometimes. And they kinda suck too. But it's what we've got to work with. Drinking rusty water sucks, but if you're in the desert and it's all you've got, rusty water it is.

deuce_23

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I am really pissed of with microsoft with the auto updates. its fine on my home computer and don't notice it, but on my laptop that i have to tether through my phone i find the auto update is screwing everything up. It slows my already crappy internet to a crawl and my laptop froze when i started and got to the enter password screen. I have a 15inch alienware thats an i7 and a ssd. It could have a notification that lets me know it needs to install updates. I mainly upgraded for direct x 12 but as this wont be utilized in any games that i like any time soon i will just revert back to win 7 or 8.1 till this gets sorted. It just feels like i am being forced or strongly urged to upgrade to windows 10 then they want to dictate the features that are more towards a mobile/tablet computers and forget how many pc users are out there.

If the mobile gaming market wasn't so big would they have brought out something like direct x12?
what will benefit more from direct x 12 mobile gaming or gaming rigs?

If it is considered a wireless connection by Windows, you should be able to tell Windows not to download over metered networks and it will not do updates unless you are on a wired connection(It sucks, but at least it is a workaround).

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012

It's not about whether you'll download the updates...it's when. When you have control, it can happen on your schedule, to avoid negative impacts. When Windows has control...nope. And I don't know what kind of connection speed you'd get from the tethered phone connection, but certainly a slower connection speed would make this somewhat worse.

G

Wi-Fi network is set to non-metered by default. You can change this setting. However, even on a metered connection, Windows still downloads critical updates. I don't know how Windows defines critical updates.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
IIRC, 'critical' updates relate to security issues...patching vulnerabilities, Defender updates, malware removal updates. MAYBE some stability-related ones as well.

And to be sure, there's a problem. If even, say, 1 user in 100 doesn't install critical updates regularly, then there are large numbers of systems left exposed. Microsoft takes *some* of the heat for the malware, so I can see why they adopt this policy. My issue is, there's better ways to do this...like, say, download and install at the auto-reboot time; or, if the system was offline at that point, the next time it's brought back up. Yeah, when you first fire it up, this might add some time to initial 'bootup' but it's also often true that you're not quite ready to do anything, so a download/install/reboot will tend to be non-disruptive.

Gaming rigs will benefit more mainly because, well DX is not in mobile as much as OpenGL. If you haven;t noticed the two major phone OSes (iOS and Android) both utilize tons of freeware for their OSes. Both use a Linux based core and OpenGL based API. Neither want to pay to license DX, they want profits not costs.

Even so DX12 will still benefit desktop rigs more. Not only is it supposed to remove a lot of driver overhead but it is also supposed to help utilize CPUs better.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
To second jimmy's point: Microsoft brought out DX 12 to try to maintain Windows' dominant position via promoting their proprietary solution, and keeping it relevant. That's always been the reason for DirectX...and why Microsoft's Java had Microsoft extensions that Microsoft web sites could use. ActiveX...same thing. Microsoft won't promote open software, or at least not without putting spin on it whenever possible.

Now after all the reports of DX12 downplaying performance on NVIDIA hardware, is it worth buying an R9 Fury X or 390X? Will both GeForce and Catalyst drivers play nice together in Windows 10? Is it possible to toggle primary GPUs on the fly in Windows 10? I have nothing against AMD Radeon GPUs if one is really needed as long as the cards don't turn my PC into a sauna.

Guess it will no longer just be "your experience with windows 10", as apparently Microsoft has decided that since not everybody has chosen to upgrade or move to the new operating system, they'll just backport the features they want into older versions so they can see what you're doing whether you upgraded or not. I imagine forced updates won't be far behind for those operating systems as well.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/213183-once-more-with-tracking-microsoft-backports-privacy-invading-windows-10-features-to-windows-7-8

vesp3r

Distinguished
My experience with windows 10?

Well on first glimpse it looks awful! I have to say - I expected way better OS than what I saw on my 1st 10 min with it. The fact that I adjusted myself to windows 8.1 WAY FASTER than to windows 10 speaks enough about my opinion on it.

Fail 1: I upgraded and still have to wait for my activation... and ofcourse I cant even personalize it to look better until it activates
Fail:2 Edge - why the f*** are they forcing me to use bing? I don't like bing! Tried to make it use google search engine but it doesn't let me even add another one
Fail 3: drivers - I had way less problems with drivers when I installed windows 8.1 On windows 10 however I struggled 20 minutes to install correct network driver cause it kept autoinstall some sh** and said "you already have the best driver" while device didn't work
Fail 4: Wasn't it announced that Pro users will have some sort of control over updates? Well I don't!

Overall I don't think its made to be used on a desktop. I'm going to give it 1-2 more days and if I still don't have control over the windows I'm going back to 8.1 until MS decide that they are the only ones who should have control over something you use... I'm already looking at Linux distros

But many games, especially EA and Ubisoft games, are not Linux-compatible, so you're stuck with Windows for those games. If you want to rollback to Windows 8.1 or even get Windows 7, it's your choice. After a few updates, I find Windows 10 becoming more stable and I'm using it a lot more than Windows 8.1.

vesp3r

Distinguished

Thats why i said im gonna wait few days and see how it goes. It already activated so i can finally get rid of this retarded color scheme with all that black task bar and black start menu etc. True about the games though. I have yet to test the DX12 so we will see about that. Overall i doubt my opinion will change much later. I know im already addicted to the multi desktop feature. I remember linux had something like that some time ago

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
You can change Edge's default search engine. It's not at all obvious...but it does have the advantage that you can use any search engine you want. Instructions are here:

http://www.intowindows.com/change-default-search-engine-in-edge/

G

Fail 1: My Windows was activated right after it was online. I'm not sure what kind of personalization you want. I don't see what Windows 8.1 can do but Windows 10 can't by default.

Fail 2: You can change the search engine as stated in the previous post.

Fail 3: You need to uninstall driver completely first. Windows will not auto-install drivers right after driver is uninstalled because you shouldn't be online at that time.

Fail 4: What kind of control over updates you have? Windows 10 Pro can defer upgrades.

You need to be more specific about your problem to get help. Your problems can be resolved; just look up.

On the other hand, my problem is weird even though it doesn't bother me much. My Mouse Properties dialog is slow to open. It takes about 1-2 minutes for the dialog to open after clicking on Mouse in Control Panel.

I asked Microsoft community and searched everywhere, but found no solution. This IS a problem.

vesp3r

Distinguished

The my windows activated ~2 hours after upgrading to it (which isnt that much of a problem, however it was annoying as most options were locked for me until it activated. Those options include changing options in Edge and changing the color scheme. I stated that (atleast to me) it looked super ugly with the black task bar and white texts on it. after 20 min looking at it my eyes started to hurt. Im not sure why windows didnt choose to make the default colors similar to what they are in older versions.
As for the drivers. When i installed windows 8.1 (i have to add i made completely clean install) It did picked up alot of things from the personalized windows i had (task bar on the right side, wallpaper, kept my drivers - yes it did automatically installed same drivers i had on windows 7) while on windows 10 i had to go to computer management->device manager and remove 5 times the network adapter choosing the option "delete the driver files too" and it kept popping up after device scan with the same sh1t driver that always gave me error code 10. Up untill i removed the device installed the correct driver and then scanned for new devices

I couldnt find any option there... just one that would let me choose between automatic restart and planned restart or something similar. Also it looks more hard to navigate than the previous versions but im not gonna b1tch about it as it is expected to have some menus changed

Overall for someone who dealt with the beta version it might not look that way but for a new user it is frustrating

(Anyways im just stating my current opinion and if there is options or menus i missed please feel free to point that out)

G

I hope you can customize colors, schemes by going to Personalize from Control Panel. Different versions of Windows have different default schemes. I've been using MS first OS up to Windows 10 and other OSs like Mac, Linux, and Unix; and they all look different.

When I installed Windows 10, my settings were applied automatically, including bookmarks. Drivers are different; my drivers are all new. I don't have any problems with those drivers since then. If a computer is offline and a device is not recognized, you should be able to install a driver as you wish. Error code 10 seems to relate to out-of-date, missing, or corrupt drivers.

For automatic update, you have to go to Advanced options to defer upgrades.

vesp3r

Distinguished

Corrupted drivers actually... as it was trying to install version from 2011 which didnt worked, when i manually removed it and installed the one from 2009 it worked. After it activated i could change colors and it is now more eye-friendly :D It didnt apply any setting for me, im not sure why and i did the upgrade 2 times because of issues with the product key.

@darkbreeze ye i know... i pre-ordered Pro version since i used Pro version anyways. It unlocked that option after the activation. Still it seems incompatible with some of the little "programs" i made for my ease :/ kinda dissapointing.

TerrorK

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
My experience has been frustrating. For the most part it's pretty good... but then every so often I have these massive slowdowns out of nowhere that last several hours minimum. CPU usage and RAM is low still, and temperature isn't a problem, and yet I get this massive lag and slow loading with everything out of nowhere and almost all my games chug. My PC isn't even two years old and I can't nail down anything that would cause it, and it's so random, and will just speed up again to normal after a while. I've had it go for up to three weeks with no issues, or several days before it does it again. Graphics driver clean installs didn't do anything, Malware and virus scans came up empty, CCleaner did nothing, it's not a memory leak since it can strike out of nowhere on a fresh boot up a day later. The only thing I can point a finger to is Windows 10, because it first occurred only about a week after I "upgraded" and nothing else adds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.