Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TerrorK

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015

I'm considering that as a last resort, but would prefer not to have to start over. Especially with the amount of games and other programs I have installed, it'd take me literally months to get everything back the way I had it before. If it were a constant issues I'd have probably already done it, but when I can get 2-3 weeks of full speed and no issues for 4-5 hours of lag before it just magically fixes itself somehow, I'm putting up with it for now. The computer is still at least functional in this form, and I've got too many projects I'm using it for at the moment to try and risk a do-over that could result in a bigger problem (such as a complete failure for Windows 10 to even install at all and essentially leave me with an expensive paperweight for several weeks until I can sort it).

I'll definitely keep the clean install in mind though, but unless I can get a verification from somebody who has had the EXACT same issue that doing such will have a good 90%+ chance of fixing it, I'm going to try and explore other options for now.

USAFRet

Titan
Going all the way back to Windows 1.0...a clean install almost always fixes the existing problems, over living with the 'upgrade' problems.

Is a full reinstall a pain? Yes.
Is it more of a pain living with the problems you see? Probably.

Also, all that important data and game files, get them backed up elsewhere before your "magically self fixing" system decides to "magically take a dump" and you lose everything when the system becomes unsalvageable.

TerrorK

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015

Good point. I do back up critical data regularly, but I should make another one soon. Thankfully all my games and other critical data are on the secondary drive. Windows 10 is pretty much the only thing on my C:\ drive aside from anything that NEEDS to be installed there.

It's looking increasingly likely that I'm going to have to do a fresh install. I'd just hate to go back to square one though and then find out a few weeks later, just as things are starting to come together again, that the problem returns again. That's the other main reason why I'm reticent to make that step just yet: I'd hate it to all be for naught.

This is a great step one for many forms of computer troubleshooting. Eliminating the current operating system(that may have issues making things worse) from the tests is always a good way to test the hardware.

That is why I build my systems the way I do. Small drive for OS, well I used to partition a single drive like this, and larger drives for data and games. Since I use Steam for most everything game wise all I have to do is reinstall Steam to that drive and all my games work perfectly since Steam will rerun the distributables. My OS has pretty much just the OS and a few programs.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
At first it was a turn off for me because of the graphics in comparison to Windows 7(much better), but then I started seeing Windows 10 as a balance between the goods in 8.1 and 7, and that's what it effectively is in a way. It's a sort of compromise between the two OS's.

I think it has the best of both, MS has left from Windows 8.1 just enough not to annoy desktop users and on top of that added nice ideas and touches like Cortana and Edge. From Windows 7 they brought back the start menu with a twist, it's got a lot better looking and complete than before.

grumpigeek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Windows 10 - faster but dumber than Windows 7.

- still has the same dreadful blurry grey-scale font anti-aliasing that blighted Windows 8.
- Several UI settings have been removed. You can use 3rd party apps to compensate to some extent.
- File Explorer windows won't open where they should.
- privacy issues

The latest Microsoft mantra seems to be "remove features and call it an upgrade".
MS seem to hoping most people are too dumb to notice. That strategy will work only for the period of time it takes someone else to come up with a better OS.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Win 7 is my favorite, probably best os ive had so far. 10 is meh atm, never ran 8.1 but friends have so can't compare myself, just going by from others saying 10 is an improvement. Seems Microsoft tried to bring 7 back slightly in 10 but i don't think it will happen until Windows 7/11. =D

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

You could try at least one of 2 things:

A fresh install and/or this guide:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f38ed/guide_how_to_disable_data_logging_in_w10

I was having the same issue with random slowdowns until I tried this guide above and voilà! Windows 10 has been fast and responsive ever since.

Hope it helps!

Regular cleartype style AA does not work when monitors are rotated and with Windows 8/8.1/10 all targeting mobile devices, I think this may be hard to avoid until a proper solution can be designed.

Removal of some settings are in preparation of the app model I would guess.

The explorer issue will be fixed with a patch in the future. Insiders are running newer builds with and giving feedback all the time. Some new features are re-introducing the colored titlebars(but it still needs work to match 8) and some fixes issues users have reported.

I do NOT recommend joining insiders unless you understand you may run into more crashes because it a large scale beta test.

spin498

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
I read somewhere that Win 10 was ideal on older laptops and PC’s because it had a ‘smaller’ footprint. I subsequently installed it on one of each. It’s a dog. I’m particularly annoyed that if I have foobar2000 playing music and then attempt ANY other task at the same time the music playback cuts out. I went to System tag the new Computer Properties page and it reports that I have 4 gigs ram but only 1.32 gigs are usable. Where have the other 2.6 gigs gone? I tried a Readyboost prepped usb stick and it had no effect on memory use. It’s basically made the PC unusable because of the annoyance factor.

OH and when the music is playing the whole system just bogs down to a crawl.

I hear you. Windows 10 uses twice as much RAM for basic background applications than Windows 8.1. I just cannot seem to figure out why that is.

allstar312

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015
Windows 10 is a good piece of software i can at least find everything i need without having a full screen start menu however windows 10 is to me the best computer equivalent of comedy. you know its funny when i play a game on windows 10 and i can't record because my pc doesn't have a compatible graphics card but my pc can still play the xbox one without any video lag and just a 0.25 millisecond control lag.

deuce_23

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I have gone back to windows 7 and i will not upgrade to windows 10 until i am forced, or they bring out a game that i can not run on direct x 11. All i have found are problems and there seems to be limited driver support for a lot of devices. I would advise people to wait till they sort out the bugs and drop a few services packs on us. There is no game that requires direct x12 only so dont be in a rush when a game comes that you like and you can not play it on direct x 11 then i would say upgrade. I feel we have over a year or more unit this is the case.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Thats how i felt. + Win7 is much nicer looking, better than 8 and 10 imo. DX12 would be nice with certain aspects of it that is appealing but i agree, will be awhile yet before games are optimised for it.

I returned to 7 oem with 5 days left on Win10 trial period before Win7 license was gobbled, so bit of pressure making up my mind at the time, but im happier now with 7.

thedon57

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

I Installed Windows x64 Home and it went in with no hitch at all but found that IE11 still tried to take over.
So what I did was remove IE11 completely not just disable it but completely remove it now my computer can start up from pressing the button to getting onto what ever site or forum is 2 mins 30 seconds instead of 5-6 mins then IE 11 hanging and giving out the sorry but internet explorer needs to close.
See below what I have done with the new
Edge Browser

I have been playing around with the Edge Browser having removed IE 11.
I have found that if you bring the web page up you want like
Face Book (social)
Outlook.com (mail)
Youtube (Entertainment)
Google (Browser)
Twitter (Social)
Groove
Right click and add them to the Favourites Bar,
They show up on your home menu found at top of page like msn, or bing once there all you have to do is click on the one you want and it will take you straight to the page you want.
Thought it might help some members.

Have been trying it now for several days and I have had no crashes and no black or blue screens, Printing is quicker.
So you see I for one am very happy with Windows10 and will never for one go back to 8,1.

LeRennais

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
Many stupid irritations.

Login - endless problems, finally identified as number key pad not working at login time. Have to use number keys at top of keyboard. Possibly common on USB connected keyboards?

Edge browser is not yet fit for use. No favourites management, and stupid "reverse order" loading of existing favourites from IE.

thedon57

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

I got favourite's and favourite bar on mine Edge browser also working as good as gold

Same issue here. Number lock is never active on Windows boot despite number lock being active in the UEFI settings. I just tap the NumLock key, then the pin, rather than clicking the mouse button to launch the login screen.

Let's face it, every Windows is just a modification to the previous one. Windows experienced the most change in the 90s. Ever since XP, they added some security, some new software, and a GUI change. They're all built off the code of the previous one.

Microsoft said "Windows 10 will be the last Windows". What does that mean? Perhaps that is why they named it 10, because 10 seems like a good number to end on? Will they maybe ditch their traditional code that's probably still in there from Windows 95, and start fresh with a whole new operating system?

For all we know, they may already be working on one, and may have been doing so for a few years already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS