Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its been out 3 weeks and I think most people haven't had problems, I haven't been rushed off my feet by a lot. There will always be things that don't work and not everyone got out of it unscathed

Yes sir. SO far so good. It works just as well as the last version.

After downloading KB4019472 update from Windows Update and opening my IE, the about:tabs screen has changed to feeds and popular sites more like MS Edge browser, also the IE has been upgraded to 11.1198.14393.0 from 11.1198.10240.0.

Is it only me or it is a part of this update?

Colif

Win 11 Master
NO, I have IE 11.296.15063.0 just to be different. I couldn't tell you if it looks different as I don't normally use IE

but then I am on creators update and you aren't. If you go here and click 1st button it will download the upgrade assistant, run it and it will upgrade win 10 to latest version.

May not fix browser though, it might be intentional.

Pramethius

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
My Windows 10 Nightmare! I had an older machine Sony VAIO Came with XP MCE 32bit / I installed Windows 8.1 Full Edition From store purchase CD , I set a partition of 500MB for personal reasons, Windows 8.1 setup its own an we moved on to successful Installation, worked Great, but when I did the Windows 10 upgrade, OMG! Crashed on the second boot faze, Well after about 4 or 5 installations of Window's 8.1 to get back the desktop, Start overs to try getting windows 10 to install with out bad partition's an windows file corruption, I figured (just a guess) The Windows 10 no matter how I try to install It, ISO, Desktop mount, CD mount, Boot from Disk, none of it mattered It just wasn't going to run Windows 10 ? (Then I got to Thinking) What if the 3 partitions that were required for successful Installation, were not being done during setup by windows on this machine correctly ? Bing! (That light laminating above my head), So I started from scratch Window's 8.1 an all Stock factory Mother board drivers etc., got it running as well as could be expected on 8.1,(an all the updates), Backed up the drive just incase, Went into Disk management opened it an set the 3 partitions that I found out (Windows 10 required for Installation), Re-boot with Windows 10 ISO In the Drive an Magic Happened, WOOHOO Success, I opened the Disk manager from the Desktop In Windows 10, all three partitions were their an operational /Reserve 350MB / Main,Active,bootpage,file system, 930GB / SystemRestore 450MB / Yahoooooooo, Thing is, this is Pathetic, I shouldn't have had to figure this all out on my own, the Installation CD On boot should have done this partition editing for me, wow Windows 10 just Wow, MY nightmares finished, Windows 10 Home Is now running on that machine an rather well, Don't try this at home children,crazy, l o l

OK I'm back with some more to say about Windows 10 Hmmm, I'm so done Crashing, blue screen of Death, after updating to Windows 10 Creators Update version unknown an I'm not going to try it again on my VAIO Hybrid, even my ASUS Rog is having a night mare with this OS an its 64 bit Windows 10 came installed with the preview, an ever sense the first update to full version its ben a NIGHTMARE FROM HELL ! As always good luck to all !

brucewithatemper

Prominent
May 16, 2017
Basically, i hadn't applied the updates to my computer and it got affected by ransomware and now all my files have been deleted. So for me, windows 10 is the worst thing i could've opted for in my lifetime.

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
So the updates that were specifically released, for a vulnerability that affect all Microsoft operating systems released in the last 15 years...

A security update that was released before the ransomware was out in the field...

You purposely chose not to apply it, and got virused up...

And this is the fault of Windows 10?

Gotcha.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is a case of operator error and not the fault of the OS. You chose to be vulnerable.

Threats change, all of the time. Protections need to change to keep pace.

Lesson learned: Apply updates. Period.

BNCID

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2013

That's the same argument as my brand x vehicle's engine seized because I didn't change the oil/routine maintenance so I'm never going to by a brand x vehicle again. This is purely operator error.

mossberg

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007

So you are blaming the OS for you not doing proper maintenance to your system? That is like blaming McDonalds for being fat.

Actually it's not entirely windows and MS fault.
It's more to your fault, because you didn't update your OS and patch it with new MS17-010 Patch that fixes SMB protocol vulnerability.

Windows 10 is not worst, except for that non user friendly Windows Update service.
It maybe not the best OS in the world, but its good.

USAFRet

Titan

That "non user friendly Windows Update service" is specifically for times like this.

Either it is mandatory, or it is optional.

If it is 'optional' (like previous versions), we get results like this guy. A completely hosed up system, that was easily preventable.
Not sure how he caused Win 10 to not update, but this is what happens.

In this statement, I'm talking about optional and driver updates.
But MS did a good job here for mandatory updates, Windows Update patched my system rapidly with MS 17-010 Patch when wanna decryptor start spreading around the world.

"Not sure how he caused Win 10 to not update"
For legit windows OS, MS send the patch on March 14, 2017.
For pirated windows OS, most likely it will not get updated.

MasterChief86

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016

Yeah, I feel it's more of a step-down from 8.1 and works more with what worked for them in Windows 7, all the while borrowing things from 8.1 and tweaking them to make them more "stomachable" for users, both newbies and the veterans.

It does ask if you want to do it now or later. you must have chosen the former option. also, about the ubuntu multi-function drivers, you can either google them or look it up their forums.

virat8586

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
My experience with windows 10 was good and bad both. With my high end system..Windows 10 works smoothly with some extra added features and apps.
But on my notebook, even the 32bit lags a lot.

USAFRet

Titan

As opposed to all the other communication venues you use?
Cell phone, google, cable TV, your car, Uber, snaptwit, InstaFace....

I installed windows 10 64bit on my dad's 10 years old PC.
It has Pentium E2100, 7600GT with 256MB of VRAM and 3 gigs of RAM.
Not a smooth experience, but at least it worked perfectly for basic office use and some heavy web browsing. ;)

Colif

Win 11 Master

Sounds like mums PC, about same vintage, same amount of ram.. 500gb hdd that seems to always be at 100% usage just by starting PC up. It is good enough for FB and emails but we finally convinced her to upgrade this year.

It originally have 512MB of RAM and no dedicated graphics card when my dad bought it on 2007.
Running XP PRO SP3 on stock config. (it even have a "designed for XP" sticker in front of the case!).

I upgraded his PC last night, I get all the old parts from my old (now died) gaming PC build.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i had the specs of hers on a piece of paper but naturally can't find it now, it has a graphics card but from memory it was worse than the GTX 260 I had at the time, so its not a great card. it only has VGA outputs

Dual core CPU, not sure what without starting PC up and running speccy on it.

I bought it for dad to play games on but it failed completely at that task. It at least had Win 7 64bit on it when we got it, should have kept it it as well but my brother decided to upgrade it to win 10 - he doesn't have to act as support though.

hardest thing he might face is compatible drivers, good chance a PC made for win XP won't have win 10 drivers

My dad's PC is an Acer Veriton m460.
Acer also sold this model with vista compatible specs, which has a Core2Quad CPU, 4GB of RAM, 1TB HDD, 8600GT 512MB GPU and same motherboard as the XP model.

I downloaded the vista driver for this PC.
Vista driver works like a magic.

I'm feeling lucky because it has same motherboard model :)

Mightyena

Honorable
Oct 21, 2014
It seems like every time I install an update, something goes fantastically wrong. Finally got around to installing the creators update on my W10 test PC, and now Windows fails to boot. It just gets to the black screen with the blue Windows logo and spinning dots and freezes. It does this for normal boot, recovery mode and any W10 installation media that has the creators update applied. The only thing to do is hold down the power button.

Sigh... Back to version 1511 I guess (the anniversary update is also unusable - none of the USB ports work, I just get "the device has malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognise it". Including keyboard, I had to go find an old PS/2 keyboard just to log in).

Everything running fine, running Build 15063.

Was running Insider build 16257, but it was unstable and has a variety off issues from random crashes to general random freezes with different software.

So I went back to the current build 15063.

Status
Not open for further replies.