Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 66 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
once you are back online it will automatically reactivate without entering a key (as long as your key was legit)

Not always. If you do it this way, you need to make sure you attach your digital entitlement to a Microsoft account. If you simply do a clean install from the start, you can cut out a big waste of time by going through the installation process twice. I don't know of many programs that aren't compatible and the ones that aren't are typically pretty old and sketchy anyhow. But I get that some folks have old programs they NEED to be able to run, in which case running in compatibility mode for those apps is always an option.

Many folks will not enter into a Microsoft Account. It's only a trap to monetize as much personal data as they can poach and tie it in to a user's personal details.

I've made many fresh installations and activation has been a routine matter, lastling only a few seconds from first boot.

That might be true, but if you plan to not pay for your Windows license over and over again, it is, unfortunately, required, if you ever have to reinstall or you change the motherboard whether on the same system or a new one. It is, what it is. They collect your data anyhow. Creating a Microsoft account has absolutely NOTHING to do with them collecting data. You can change your account type to local at any time you wish to AFTER you've created an account and linked your license to it. You don't have to continue logging in with a Microsoft account you just need to do it initially, one time. I don't see the problem. Maybe you need a bigger tin foil hat SL. LOL.

Mac029

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
Hey thanks Darkbreeze. Appreciate the heads up re: entering your W7 key. Too many features to like in W10, for instance gaming, built-in hyper-V. So glad I skipped some hiccups but time to move forward.

So classic shell will give me more control over drivers, etc.?

I couldn't wait, I decided to quickly join the insider preview system to get the May Update 1903 right now.

Glad I did lol, so far this build has been really smooth. No issues at all.

Installation was really fast, and the installation overall was very smooth. No glitches, no severe slowdowns or anything strange like that.

System is also a bit snappier overall. (specs in signature)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Glad you decided to be the Guinea Pig Techy, someone had to take the risk for the team :D

T minus all Techies data being deleted (jokes).

Perhaps MS learned something from taking 3 months to release 1809 to most people?

Glad you decided to be the Guinea Pig Techy, someone had to take the risk for the team :D

T minus all Techies data being deleted (jokes).

Perhaps MS learned something from taking 3 months to release 1809 to most people?

I would say the lesson is to never expect people to use the best practices or not do something you advise against. The issue was bad but it was something Microsoft advised against pretty much all the time.

I would hope those people also learned the lesson of backing up their data before a major OS upgrade. I would feel bad for the people who the update pushed to on its own but the problem is, the issue only came up for the people who decided to install it earlier by forcing the update. It was never pushed to anyone. So those people knew well ahead that the update was installing and should have backed data up first.

Just my 2 cents.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I got 1809 early and didn't have any problems. The people affected was just a small number, but it was still enough to cause update to be stopped until the problem was fixed.

I have learned not to run windows update as you often get things on there they push out that aren't ideal to download. I get something once a day but only as I used Defender

Colif

Win 11 Master
Welcome to the 32GB club. That's the amount of hard disk space you're going to give up to Windows.

That seems a jump unless you including page file and you have 16gb of ram. Or you talking about windows.old that takes 18gb of hdd for 10 days until its deleted?

Oddly my windows folder is only showing as 2gb, I know it should be bigger. full install is about 23gb or was a few months ago

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is going to be fun for all the people with only 32gb of space on ssd. Devices are still sold with such small storage. I think @USAFRet has one such device.

I have 180gb free on C, guess Windows is just going to use more. I wonder what the difference is

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
That is going to be fun for all the people with only 32gb of space on ssd. Devices are still sold with such small storage. I think @USAFRet has one such device.

I have 180gb free on C, guess Windows is just going to use more. I wonder what the difference is

Wait what? if am getting this right windows update will need 32 gb space?
oh lord.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I swear windows 10 is a resource hog.
How comes with 16gb of ram windows will use way more at idle than if you only had 4gb?
Disabling caching is really want i want to do.

its possible at 4gb of ram it has more compressed, whereas if you have 16gb less is compressed, Memory compression takes up clock cycles, so PC could be a little faster with more ram.

Win 10 is pretty good with memory management, I wouldn't bother turning any of it off unless Superfetch is slowing down games. It will only use page file if it has no choice.

Empty ram isn't helping you really. Its doing nothing at all.

I can't update windows on my netbook because it has 32gb emmc, completely filled with windows.
It still has windows from the time it was bought in 2017 and I can't update it without a reinstall because it doesn't have enough free space to download the update and then install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.