[SOLVED] Youtube video quality looks better with Nvidia GPU than the iGPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcloverbutnomoney

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
So I noticed this morning while playing a 4k 60 fps video on YouTube that by default chrome was using intel GPU of laptop to render the video (in task manager Intel GPU shows 30% usage while nvidia 0%) so I thought why not nvidia GPU for video playback and went to the windows graphics settings and chose Nvidia processor for chrome like this

image.png.bd0a100785653a2bf62b938063f01163.png

And now the nvidia GPU was working while playing a video on youtube tho iGPU also running because my laptop display directly connected to the intel GPU and have no mux switch either. But the same video played and I immediately noticed better and good sharpness on that same video (compared to iGPU render) so I went back and forth and tried switch the graphics preference and I got the same results.

So my question is, is that really a thing where nvidia GPU will output better video quality (same resolution and full screen mode and so the codec which is vp9) than the iGPU or is it just my brain fake assuming it'll look better because it's a discrete card?

Reactions: smalltech
Solution
So my question is, is that really a thing where nvidia GPU will output better video quality (same resolution and full screen mode and so the codec which is vp9) than the iGPU or is it just my brain fake assuming it'll look better because it's a discrete card?

It depends mostly on the original videos hosted on Youtube.

If the videos are made in 4K or higher, a dedicated GPU may help greatly.

But if you watch standard HD videos, any iGPU will play nicely in 720p or even 1080p.

Anyway when you are streaming content from Internet, connection speed and screen quality are important too.

It depends mostly on the original videos hosted on Youtube.

If the videos are made in 4K or higher, a dedicated GPU may help greatly.

But if you watch standard HD videos, any iGPU will play nicely in 720p or even 1080p.

Anyway when you are streaming content from Internet, connection speed and screen quality are important too.

Solution

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
So I noticed this morning while playing a 4k 60 fps video on YouTube that by default chrome was using intel GPU of laptop to render the video (in task manager Intel GPU shows 30% usage while nvidia 0%) so I thought why not nvidia GPU for video playback and went to the windows graphics settings and chose Nvidia processor for chrome like this

image.png.bd0a100785653a2bf62b938063f01163.png

And now the nvidia GPU was working while playing a video on youtube tho iGPU also running because my laptop display directly connected to the intel GPU and have no mux switch either. But the same video played and I immediately noticed better and good sharpness on that same video (compared to iGPU render) so I went back and forth and tried switch the graphics preference and I got the same results.

After you select the dedicated nvidia GPU in your screenshot, does it mean the integrated GPU is disabled so everything will play on the dedicated nvidia GPU?

What was the default selection of the screenshot before you changed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.