Question Z390-A will not post, Yellow DRAM LED!

Nov 18, 2018
I just put this rig together and when I was booting it up I could not get it to post and thought I had bad RAM sticks. Im using Trident Z RGB (F4-3466C16D-16GTZR) and with both plugged in it did not post( it kept turning over like a car, on & off repeatedly), so I tried taking one out and it finally posted and booted BUT when i took it out and tested the other stick it went to the Yellow LED light and shortly after proceeded to post. So I figured both sticks are fine and just a software issue, I updated the BIOS and when I have both sticks plugged in, it still would not post! I've tried setting an XMP profile and also updating the BIOS. I dont know what I could do, the PC does run with one stick but i need the other one for games and other things. Any ideas could help!
*Im also not an expert at building PCs but to this point i've gamed and have good temps so to my knowledge everything is in the right place (sticks have been firmly place multiple times)
CPU - I7-8700k
AIO- H100i V2
RAM- Trident Z 2x8gb 3644mhz
PSU- EVGA 750w
MOBO - Asus Prime z390-a
SSD- Samsung Evo 860 1TB

1. are both sticks from the same 2 piece kit? Ram must be matched.
  2. Your motherboard manual will identify the two slots into which you should insert the sticks.
  3. Let the ram default to stock speeds, do not use the xmp overclock settings. 2133 speed should be the default.
  4. Test each stick individually in the single stick designated slot. If you get a fail, that stick is bad and the whole kit should be replaced. Memtest86 should complete a full pass with NO errors.
  5. Contact g.skil support. You have a lifetime warranty.
  6. As a possible bypass, increase the ram voltage a bit higher than the default 1.2v for 2133 speed operation.
  7. What is your motherboard bios level? Sometimes there is an update to address ram compatibility issues.

Nov 18, 2018
  1. are both sticks from the same 2 piece kit? Ram must be matched.
  2. Your motherboard manual will identify the two slots into which you should insert the sticks.
  3. Let the ram default to stock speeds, do not use the xmp overclock settings. 2133 speed should be the default.
  4. Test each stick individually in the single stick designated slot. If you get a fail, that stick is bad and the whole kit should be replaced. Memtest86 should complete a full pass with NO errors.
  5. Contact g.skil support. You have a lifetime warranty.
  6. As a possible bypass, increase the ram voltage a bit higher than the default 1.2v for 2133 speed operation.
  7. What is your motherboard bios level? Sometimes there is an update to address ram compatibility issues.
1. I bought them from a (4x8gb) kit someone was selling. Just have 2 x 8gb out of the 4x8gb
2.I have tried switching but to no avail
3.I did enable/disable the XMP profile but i’ll try adjusting the volts or trying it all stock again.
4.I will try when I get home.
5.This is off topic but can I RMA if i wasnt the original buyer?
6.I will try
7. I updated to the latest bios last night but still nothing.
I also wanted to add that when i booted with one stick it went thru flawlessly, but with the other single stick it still boots but it hovers on the DRAM LED for a second or two and then boots up normally and even games, but both wont work together.

Nov 18, 2018
I also want to add that when both RAM sticks are inserted and I turn it on, the mobo spits out the yellow DRAM light and then everything shuts off and then on kind of like a force shut down and it restarts and does this for 3-4 times and then it stays on the DRAM light indefinitely but the RGB on the sticks do work and so does all the other components except the mouse and keyboard.

The light is an indication that the motherboard is trying to find a ram setting that works.
Since g.skil has a lifetime warranty and both sticks should have been matched, take g.skil up on their warranty..
When you have a lifetime warranty there should be no need for a original purchase invoice.

Nov 18, 2018
The light is an indication that the motherboard is trying to find a ram setting that works.
Since g.skil has a lifetime warranty and both sticks should have been matched, take g.skil up on their warranty..
When you have a lifetime warranty there should be no need for a original purchase invoice.
Hey just a following up, i got the stick rams to work but on A1 and B1 only. So they’re working on single channels but, wont post when they are in dual channel. Boths sticks are fully functional im wondering if a bent pin could be causing this problem?