[SOLVED] Z390 Aorus Pro compatibility

jaime061197

Reputable
Aug 12, 2017
Hello,

I'm searching for a good SSD to be included in a Z390 Aorus Pro. I have read (here) that a slow disk could be a bottleneck for my processor (the i9-9900k) so I would like to have an NVMe (also simply I would like a speedy disk simply for gaming and to run my daily task quickly).

So I have found some goods recommendations in this forum and some others:
  • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro (1TB)
  • Samsung SSD 970 EVO (1TB)
  • Samsung 970 PRO (1TB)
The problem is that looking to my motherboard QVL:
https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-doc

I can't find any of them and I'm starting to feel a little desperate because every time I found something I like I have to discard it. So, what's your recommendation for this situation? Can you find any good 1TB ssd in the list or do you think I should simply ignore it?

Thanks

Solution
You should be fine, I would be more concerned with making sure you got the most reliable & best performing drive you can get within your budget. The units which are listed on motherboard manufacturer's QVL's are units which are sent to the mobo manufacturer for testing of compatibility. The absence of a particular model # or SKU # doesn't necessarily indicate incompatibility, especially regarding SSDs. If the SSD manufacturer has a few products listed on the QVL, it's generally a good indicator that compatability shouldn't be an issue. Should you find there is an issue, check for any firmware updates & contact the manufacturer.

It's my understanding that QVL's really matter more for CPU's & RAM & less so for SSDs, especially when...
you can mostly ignore those.
those are QUALIFIED, not the ONLY ones that will work.

and, no, a slower ssd wont "bottleneck" your pc, but it will make it feel less snappy. in games at least you wont notice it, beside launching times.

just get one from a brand you trust, and has good QD1 iops (higher is better) cause thats most of what matters
but remember that you will never ever feel a difference between 15000 and 17000, its mostly in benchmarks.

anyway
get whichever one you like and is cheap and has good reviews

Reactions: jaime061197

Kvlt Doom

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
You should be fine, I would be more concerned with making sure you got the most reliable & best performing drive you can get within your budget. The units which are listed on motherboard manufacturer's QVL's are units which are sent to the mobo manufacturer for testing of compatibility. The absence of a particular model # or SKU # doesn't necessarily indicate incompatibility, especially regarding SSDs. If the SSD manufacturer has a few products listed on the QVL, it's generally a good indicator that compatability shouldn't be an issue. Should you find there is an issue, check for any firmware updates & contact the manufacturer.

It's my understanding that QVL's really matter more for CPU's & RAM & less so for SSDs, especially when they have market presence like Samsung or Adata.

Reactions: jaime061197
Solution

jaime061197

Reputable
Aug 12, 2017
you can mostly ignore those.
those are QUALIFIED, not the ONLY ones that will work.

and, no, a slower ssd wont "bottleneck" your pc, but it will make it feel less snappy. in games at least you wont notice it, beside launching times.

just get one from a brand you trust, and has good QD1 iops (higher is better) cause thats most of what matters
but remember that you will never ever feel a difference between 15000 and 17000, its mostly in benchmarks.

anyway
get whichever one you like and is cheap and has good reviews
Yeah, I knew it didn't mean that only those would work but I was still concerned about it as you can always find people on the internet who have not followed the QVL and have encountered problems. It is also true that most of them have problems with RAM, not with SSD, so hearing this I will follow your advice and buy a good one even if it's not qualified.

About the iops I'm not familiar with it (I have followed reviews mostly) but now that I know it's important I will do some research and keep that in mind. Thanks! :D

jaime061197

Reputable
Aug 12, 2017

It's my understanding that QVL's really matter more for CPU's & RAM & less so for SSDs, especially when they have market presence like Samsung or Adata.
Okay, I won't restrict myself to the QVL then. I think the ssds I have listed above are from well-known brands so that's a good point too, I think I'll do some more research to be sure and then just wait for a good price.

Thanks for the help 😃