Question Z590-E Long Time to post/boot (11900k/WD Black SN850 m2)

Aug 9, 2021
I am having issues with a long post time (20-25 seconds) on a new PC build with a Z590-E motherboard and Core i9-11900k with a WD_BLACK 500GB SN850 NVMe M2 for the boot drive.

Main issue: Currently takes about 25 seconds to reboot (hangs trying to post for 16-20 seconds). This is down from about a full minute after days of trouble shooting (Task manager lists 10-15 second “Last BIOS time” in task manager).

Bios Codes: Below I will post a list and video of the bios codes on start-up. I do notice one of the early codes is 52 for “memory utilization error.

History: This build has had a number of issues with crashes and performance. Initially I was getting bluescreens, a 1 minute + post time, and low performance in games. Blue screens were resolved by updating to the latest bios (July 24, 2021). Performance issues were resolved by swapping back to my old PC’s RAM sticks (link). Swapping back to the old ram also reduced boot time from 1 minute+ to the current 25 seconds.

However, the long boot issue persists after days of trouble shooting so I am concerned there is still a hardware problem with the motherboard or another component.

Component List
  • CPU: Core i9-11900K Rocket Lake 8-Core 3.5 GHz
  • MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi 6E
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3
  • Ram: Current G.SKILL 32GB F4-3200C16D-32GVK 3200 (2 x 16GB) (4000 speed F4-4000C16D-32GVK caused even longer boot time and bad game performance)
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X73 360mm - RL-KRX73-01
  • Psu: Seasonic Flagship PRIME SERIES SSR-1000PD
  • HD: WD_BLACK 500GB SN850 NVMe
  • HD: WD_Black 1TB SN850
  • Other HD: Two old Samsung ssd’s and two spinner drives
  • Complete component list at this link:
Issues tried:
  • Changing RAM: Switching to the old 3200 Gskill (from the new 4k Gskill) eliminated performance issues in games and reduced boot time from 60 seconds to current 25. Previously the MB codes displayed a bunch of ram initialization codes during the hang before posting, codes now look normal.
  • Enable/Disable/Switch XMP profile: Very little change (1-2 seconds) with XMP disabled. XMP 1 seems to take a couple seconds longer to boot than XMP 2.
  • Resetting Bios to Default.
  • Testing Ram/Ram Slots: almost no change in boot times going single stick in each slot etc.
  • Updated to latest bios – solved earlier issues… left with 25 second boot time
  • Pull all USB devices & Spinner drives – Shaves 2-4 seconds of boot time but that seems expected.
Questions:
This post time seems long given the m2 and other hardware. Reviewing these forums a lot of folks appear to be having a similar issue with long post times on z590 and z490 boards.
  • What is a reasonable boot time to expect for this hardware?
  • Is 25-30 seconds long or indicative of another issue?
  • Any ideas on what could be causing the delay to post?
I could live with the longer boot times, but I’m worried its indicative of a bigger hardware issue after all of the other problems with this motherboard.

Thanks for any help!

Aug 9, 2021
Full motherboard codes on start up. Appreciate any insight!

Video link to motherboard codes on start up: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Z3RmeUJhblY5V3ZOV0VCR2VrTk9QRkt2LVpPWUVB

18 Pre-memory system agent initialization is started
28 ?
25 ?
27 ?
30 Reserved for ASL
52 Memory initialization error
5c Reserved for future AMI error codes
7f Reserved for future AMI DXE does
4f DXE IPL Started
69 System Agent DXE initialization started
96 PCI bus assign resources
91 Boot device selection (BDS) phase is started